First FFXII review

I'm more interested in finding out if it will come out on the PS3, as I owned, played, and traded in a PS2 already and I don't plan on going backwards with my technology. Of course after the news on the Blu-Ray, I'm doubting the PS3 will be out this year.

The world map in the FF games I'm talking about is a big open map which wraps around (like flying around the world) and it's all done in real time.

And that exactly makes it different from BG how? Because there are animations running on the map before you select your destination (Monkey Island style)?

FFX and FFX-2 would be very similiar to how Baldurs gate works.

Wait? Isn't this "FFXII" "FFX-2" or did II suddenly became 3 when March 2006 started? :) (would solve all the We Want Kotor3 threads ;) )

The world map in the FF games I'm talking about is a big open map which wraps around (like flying around the world) and it's all done in real time.

And that exactly makes it different from BG how? Because there are animations running on the map before you select your destination (Monkey Island style)?

FFX and FFX-2 would be very similiar to how Baldurs gate works.

Wait? Isn't this "FFXII" "FFX-2" or did II suddenly became 3 when March 2006 started? :) (would solve all the We Want Kotor3 threads ;) )

FFX-2 is the "sequel" to FFX. There would be less confusion if named FF10-Two.

FFXII is FF12.

Yes, they gave Nintedogs 10 over 10. What a reliable source.

BTW, i played Vagrant Story. It was simply crap.

Well, Nintendogs is huge, so I can understand the score. It's like The Sims in that it reaches an entirely different audience. That doesn't mean I'll like them, but I respect them.

I think Jrpg's are difficult to gauge based on Japanese reviews because a ton of the quality has to do with localization. A great game in Japan can be butchered in English. I'm not saying the FF games do a great job at translating the story and characters, but they've done decent in recent times. If the translation stinks, the game will not be compelling.

Yes, they gave Nintedogs 10 over 10. What a reliable source.

BTW, i played Vagrant Story. It was simply crap.

Vagrant Story was awesomely brilliant.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

FFX-2 is the "sequel" to FFX. There would be less confusion if named FF10-Two.

FFXII is FF12.

How about FFXI?

Who ever get's it in there mind to makes 12 sequels :)

FFXI is an MMPORG. A very good one by all accounts but not something I'm into anymore.

Final Fantasy is a franchise. The only sequel is X-2 (which is the follow up to X not FFXII confusing isnt it);.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It's probably easier if you look up some of the overland pictures. Once you see a few , you will understand how it's different from BG.

You dont select a destination as much as you fly or drive to it. (although some of them have an autopilot feature).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Yes... talk about illogical...

And why call it XII if it isn't a sequel from the first game. Brand recognisation?

Imagine every episode of the Outer Limits being named Outer Limits 1, Outer Limits 2, etc. Same thing with FF.

I hope you know what Outer Limits is or my example really sux. Twilight Zone works though. :)

And why call it XII if it isn't a sequel from the first game. Brand recognisation?

It's pretty straightforward. Brand recognition is part of it. The games also have elements in common as well though.

478327[/snapback]

Mostly.

Every Final Fantasy has a new setting, story, world and characters. The only thing that connects them to each other is:

- Certain animals: Chocobos, Moogles.

- Fiends: Bomb, Tonberry, Cactuar

- Monster summons: The summons Shiva, Ifrit and Bahamut. The summons has changed names though, from eidolons, to aeons to espers and so on.

There's always a character named Cid.

- More that i don't remember.

As previously stated, the only FF that had a direct sequel was FFX-2 (FF10-2). FFXII (FF12) is a whole new one.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think Jrpg's are difficult to gauge based on Japanese reviews because a ton of the quality has to do with localization.  A great game in Japan can be butchered in English.  I'm not saying the FF games do a great job at translating the story and characters, but they've done decent in recent times.  If the translation stinks, the game will not be compelling.

With all that spare space on a blu ray they should be able to have the original dialogue and the dub.

478327[/snapback]

I still don't know what you mean by "Huge ammount of freedom to go where ever you like.". I might be stupid, but that's the single biggest turn-off for me when it comes to the late Final Fantasy games. I hate trudging through artificial corridors in forests, towns, underwater, wherever. What does this new freedom mean? That I am allowed to trudge through whichever corridor in whichever fancy but oh-so-boring area I want? Or are the maps more open with more freedom too?

If it's anything like the maps in Dragon Quest 8 (rocking game!) I'm all for it, but if it resembles Final Fantasy X in any way, it's off my interest list.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Wow, a 10. :thumbsup:

Interesting that Vagrant Story also got one.... it had the same main creator as this game ;)

No wonder SE is kissing his butt six ways from sunday and giving him what he wants.

I've heard that he's going back to Ogre Battle next *crosses fingers*

FFXII has EVIL chocobo's

That's just....wrong.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy