Sony announces US date for Blu-Ray

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Sony Pictures on Tuesday said it aims to deliver its new Blu-ray DVD format to U.S. stores on May 23 to coincide with the entry of compatible disc players, a new step in an industry war for control of home movie viewing.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and MGM Home Entertainment will first release eight Blu-ray titles, followed by another eight in mid-June. The first movie titles include "50 First Dates," "The Fifth Element," "Hitch" and "House of Flying Daggers."

Blu-ray is locked in a multibillion-dollar standards war against a rival DVD format known as HD DVD. The technology companies supporting HD DVD, championed by Toshiba Corp. (6502.T), plan to start rolling out movie titles and disc players in March.

Each side hopes to reignite a sagging $24 billion home video market with new players and discs that offer greater capacity and interactive features.

Sony Pictures, a division of Japan's Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). (6758.T), earlier this month disclosed pricing for Blu-ray format discs which amounts to a premium of about 15 percent to 20 percent to the current DVD standard.

The company said on Tuesday that its target delivery date would coincide with the launch that day of the first commercially available Blu-ray disc player by Samsung Electronics Co. (005930.K). Other Blu-ray disc players are scheduled for release to market from Sony and Pioneer.

ref

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Sony Pictures on Tuesday said it aims to deliver its new Blu-ray DVD format to U.S. stores on May 23 to coincide with the entry of compatible disc players, a new step in an industry war for control of home movie viewing.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and MGM Home Entertainment will first release eight Blu-ray titles, followed by another eight in mid-June. The first movie titles include "50 First Dates," "The Fifth Element," "Hitch" and "House of Flying Daggers."

Blu-ray is locked in a multibillion-dollar standards war against a rival DVD format known as HD DVD. The technology companies supporting HD DVD, championed by Toshiba Corp. (6502.T), plan to start rolling out movie titles and disc players in March.

Each side hopes to reignite a sagging $24 billion home video market with new players and discs that offer greater capacity and interactive features.

Sony Pictures, a division of Japan's Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). (6758.T), earlier this month disclosed pricing for Blu-ray format discs which amounts to a premium of about 15 percent to 20 percent to the current DVD standard.

The company said on Tuesday that its target delivery date would coincide with the launch that day of the first commercially available Blu-ray disc player by Samsung Electronics Co. (005930.K). Other Blu-ray disc players are scheduled for release to market from Sony and Pioneer.

ref

*Yawn* ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.............................

And shepherds we shall be,

for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be,

In Nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti.

...and where's the PS3?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Hee hee...

I agree with Surr that their line of movies leaves much to be desired.

I'd so buy an HD copy of Fifth Element.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ill switch when i can get a quality player for 100 bones(USD) and they start to over take the dvd's at the video rentals.

I'll switch when I'm dead. I'll have a Blu-Ray movie played at my funeral....hehe.

You know what I hate? I hate this push to make everything more expensive. HDTV my arse. BluRay my foot. If they stop making regular DVD's, I'll stop renting and buying movies. I have more fun here and on my 1956 Yaesu FT-101E HAM radio than in front of a TV anyway.

Edited by SSgtSniper

Ill switch when i can get a quality player for 100 bones(USD) and they start to over take the dvd's at the video rentals.

I'll switch when I'm dead. I'll have a Blu-Ray movie played at my funeral....hehe.

You know what I hate? I hate this push to make everything more expensive. HDTV my arse. BluRay my foot. If they stop making regular DVD's, I'll stop renting and buying movies. I have more fun here and on my 1956 Yaesu FT-101E HAM radio than in front of a TV anyway.

I'm so switching to Blu-Ray... as soon as I get an HDTV. I've seen the difference between DVD and HD and its glorious.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

...and where's the PS3?

They can't release it until the technology is available: this is the first step of the process. :p

It's a luddite! Burn the witch!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

What Sony really needs to do is create a way to play the UMD movies on a TV. Right now they only work on the PSP. I heard someone was working on a way to port it, but an outside company will probably fail to keep the picture quality high. Right now there is little reason to buy UMD movies. They are too expensive and not everyone wants to squint at the PSP screen. If I can play them on the TV, suddenly I have two reasons to buy them.

Do be careful, this house is protected by Beretta.