Black Isle Compilation

Diogo Ribeiro

I was just thinking of Syndicate the other day. It really was an unbelievable game. It really plopped you down into a living breathing world. Looking back, it was doing the stuff that made GTA famous long before Rockstar ever entered the business.

Doom is one of the most important games ever. It doesn't matter if you don't like FPS games, it raised the bar for the entire industry and brought in a huge new audience.

I was just thinking of Syndicate the other day. It really was an unbelievable game. It really plopped you down into a living breathing world. Looking back, it was doing the stuff that made GTA famous long before Rockstar ever entered the business.

Doom is one of the most important games ever. It doesn't matter if you don't like FPS games, it raised the bar for the entire industry and brought in a huge new audience.

Thank you! :D

Thank you! :D

Yes, we're not arguing what games have merit. The First Wold War had a significant impact of the geopolitical landscape. That doesn't mean I want to go and live through it again ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

No.

There was an old game, The Terminator that came out for DOS in 1990 that was entirely a FPS game. The game also featured hijackable vehicles and driving (complete with distinctions between automatic and manual transmissions which you'd have to shift). You could play as either Kyle or the Terminator.

If you feel like being anal about "who came first..."

Though having taken part in the PC gaming industry at that time, I concur that Doom was the one that had the huge impact and changed the face of gaming, not Wolf3D.

I might eventually :p

I'm on a wild Survival Horror gaming spree at the moment though.  (w00t)

What number are you upto now ?

I'm playing Run Like Hell. Which is sort of survival horrorish. Since Tactics got snagged while I was playing Colossus :-

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Though having taken part in the PC gaming industry at that time, I concur that Doom was the one that had the huge impact and changed the face of gaming, not Wolf3D.

Don't agree. Except if you count Doom as THE game that invented online-shooting... and that was a major change in the face of gaming...

Doom wasn't the game that invented online-shooting, Quake was.

Doom didn't even support internet play.

So WHAT was Doom renowned for then? I do know Wolfenstein is remembered because it was awesum and made the FPS genre flourish and then that other game (guess Quake then) for the internet play and real 3D instead of Wolfenstein's angle fixness so you couldn't look up...

That's because you're confusing Wolf3D with Doom.

The reason why Doom became so big, was that it was the biggest thing at the time. Wolf3D was still a niche game.

Wolfenstein 3D had nothing but 90 degree walls, and no semblance of a Z-Axis. The game was entirely on a flat plane, so there was never even a need to look up. The entire gameworld was flat. Though Doom did suffer from the inability to look up that you describe, given that it was id's first game to incorporate elevation.

I still rather play Wolfenstein than Doom... but that may just be me...

And I don't see why Doom would be "the best game" ever made if it didn't improve that much on the still fun Wolfenstein formule...

But then again, wasn't into games/gaming when both games where released, so it might have something to do with all this...

It did improve a ton on the Wolfenstein formula.

Wolfenstein 3D was a game where pretty much everything was broken down into squares. Corners were always 90 degrees. Doom allowed for variable size walls (linedefs in the old DEU), rooftops, etc.

It added the third dimension, actually incorporating differing heights into the engine. The level design was lightyears ahead of Wolfenstein 3D. Not to mention the graphics alone were way better.

Environmental Damage

A Variety of weapon effects (Wolf3D didn't actually have this.....the submachine gun was just a faster firing pistol, and the chaingun just fired two bullets at once, to simulate its higher rate of fire). This includes different ammunition types.

Multiplayer. It supported IPX and serial connections so that people could deathmatch. We can all thank Doom for engraining the term "frag" for when we kill people in a deathmatch game. (Don't confuse this with online play, which was first supported in Quake).

Lightmaps. The game actually featured variable lighting.

A dynamic environment....it was possible for triggers to actually change the environment.

Just looking at the two, I wouldn't be too surprised which one actually turned people's heads.

ME0000000700_2.jpg

doom-screenshots-7.jpg

Edited by alanschu