Civ4 Succession Game - Codename: MCA01

Llyranor

Alright, I'll take the next turn. I will switch production to a warrior. I'll finish the wheel, since it's almost done. I'll check how long it takes the worker to work on those gems, and how long it takes to research the various different techs, and add in the warrior production time. If all click in perfectly, I might go for bronze working, so that once settler production begins, the worker can burn some forests just in time. We'll see.

I agree with Enoch's priorities for settling sites. The resources to the west are for the most part already (or soon) available at the capital site.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I think all the criticism so far in this thread has been wholly constructive and good-natured, and we do need to keep that up. I read the advice with interest but didn't feel obliged to take it, and I give advice for the next guy in the same spirit. :lol:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Okay, here goes.

2400BC: My 1st turn begins. I murder the settler and replace him with a warrior. I send the worker to work on the gems to build a mine (+road once wheel is available). Also, I meet the Japanese (at the far far west on the minimap).

2400.jpg

2320BC: Turn 3. Wheel is done. Looking at the time required for the various techs, and seeing how animal husbandry is only slightly cheaper than bronze working, I go for the latter, since we'll need that settler soon.

2320.jpg

2200BC: Turn 6. The warrior feasts on a lion. Yum! Str down to 1.7. I make him rest for a bit.

2200.jpg

2080BC: Turn 9. Warrior is done. City to grow next turn, so I don't make a settler yet, opting for another warrior for now. I meet two civs this turn. England sends a warrior just right to us, and my warrior meets India to the far far west. The worker is also done with the mine/road, and there's nothing else to do right now, so I send him building a route downwards towards the ping.

2080.jpg

2040BC: Last turn. City now with a pop of 4. Warrior queued to 5 turns. A settler would take 18 turns. Bronze working will be available in 7 turns. I didn't end the turn yet to allow the next player to decide whether to switch to settler now or wait to finish the warrior. In 7 turns, the next player should get the worker to start chopping wood.

Our score so far is pretty average. Our main area of excellence is really culture, thank to the creative trait. Moscow is the best city in the world, folks!

2040.jpg

2041.jpg

Hadescopy.jpg

way to screw it all up enoch

Huh? Is this because I came down a bit hard on Nick for some of his choices? I apologize if some of my criticisms sounded less than constructive. No ill will was intended.

I was completely just kidding. Sarcasm was intended.

Edited by kumquatq3

I'll take this turn, Archmonarch can grab the next.

Turn 1: Nothing happens

Turn 2: Creative is doing us well, we're number 1 in culture! (stupid screenie didn't take)

Cyrus adopts slavery, so he must have bronze working.

Turn 3: Nothing happens

Turn 4: Nothing happens

Turn 5: Warrior Built, it's settler time. Land improvement going nicely.

Civ4ScreenShot0043.jpg

Turn 6: Lions eat our scouts ;_; (looked like they were winning, but such is not the case)

Civ4ScreenShot0044.jpg

Turn 7: Bronze working! I switch to animal husbandry for the cows, though it was a tough call between that and agricultue. I decid not to switch to slavary at this time.

Civ4ScreenShot0045.jpg

Turn 8: I meet the mongals!

Civ4ScreenShot0046.jpg

Turn 9: nothing happens

Turn 10: I begin to chop down a unit of forest near moscow to speed the production of our settler and fortify one of our warriors on the new city site. Turn over!

Civ4ScreenShot0047.jpg

Civ4ScreenShot0048.jpg

MCA01.zip

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

Jeez, I don't think I've ever seen such concentration of resources.

It's the high sea level setting. The world generator has a set number of resources to distribute, and high sea level gives it less land to work with.

Turns are done. Update forthcoming after I wrangle with the screenshots a bit.

Edited by Enoch

Alright here we go!

Not much going on for the first few turns. Toku & Mansa both adopt slavery.

Turn 3 (1700BC): Warrior just south of Moscow kills some lions. Worker clears forest, contributing 45 hammers to the settler, which is now only 4 turns away:

Civ4ScreenShot0006.jpg

Turn 4 (1675BC): As animal husbandry is only 2 turns away, I move the worker to the Cow tile.

Turn 5 (1650BC): Warrior near Germany kills some wolves. After some debate, I give it the Woodsman I promotion. (Took a screenie, but it's not worth it.)

Turn 6 (1625BC): Big one! Animal Husbandry discovered. Begin work on Agriculture.

Horses discovered SW of Moscow:

Civ4ScreenShot0009.jpg

This merits a change of plan. I decide that our settler should take advantage of these new resources. By building a city under the westernmost warrior, we'll claim the Horses, Copper, Corn, and Stone! An amazing resource haul that I'm not going to let Cyrus get to first.

Lastly, Monte has a new city just NE of Moscow:

Civ4ScreenShot0008.jpg

Not a bad location. We'll have to keep this one when it is made properly Russian!

Turn 7 (1600BC): Settler finished! Begin Worker, so we can take advantage of all those resources around our city-to-be. Settler moved towards mega-resource site.

Our warrior near Germany finds himself looking some Bears in the teeth (obligatory "oh, my!"). Bears are tough, so he moves into the forest for a greater defense bonus.

Turn 8 (1575BC): Warrior survives the attack, but only barely. Set to heal, which will take 7 turns.

Turn 9 (1550BC): Settler arrives on mega-resource site with a step to spare:

Civ4ScreenShot0011.jpg

The 'blue circle' likes a site two tiles north better. It is sometimes helpful to pay attention to this because it actually takes undiscovered resources into account (confirmed bug/feature). But any resources it 'sees' will be likely be within range of a later Russian city, and we want the stone to the south.

Anyhow, St. Petersburg is founded! I considered changing the name so I could read something like "MCA builds Fallout 3," but I decided to follow Llyranor's precedent of using the default names. The new city does push us into deficit spending though; we're losing 1 gold per turn from the city maintenance. I set the production on a warrior. We've got a worker going in Moscow, and none of the buildings available (obelisk and barracks) would do us any good right now.

Turn 10 (1525BC): Forest grows near St. Pete's. Nothing else of interest.

Overview:

My new city site recommendations:

Civ4ScreenShot0012.jpg

I've moved the Pink dot closer to St. Petersburg to pick up the Cow resource. Green dot stays where it was. We're 1 turn from Agriculture. I'd recommend following it with Pottery, so we can get some cottages going on Moscow's floodplains-- those gems will only sustain our economy alone for so long.

Good luck!

Edit: I had accidentially posted the same screenie twice. Fixed that, and the 'here we og' at the start.

Edited by Enoch

Nice going. I like that new city site. You should have named it FO3 :-

I'd be leaning toward the pink site for the next city, though the green spot could also be pretty helpful in preventing another civ expanding near there. Given how many close neighbors we have, we need to expand fast. Or murderize them all, either way. Montemuza gets on the Black List.

Anyway, the next spot is open. I'm not taking it yet.

Hadescopy.jpg

You can change city names after they are built. Just go to the Examine City screen then click on the City Name at the top.

I would play, but I've just closed Civ4 and it takes about 10 minutes to start the damn thing. (Though it runs fine after that. :rolleyes:) So.. yah. Maybe later.

Edited by Tigranes

Just to clarify something. Why did we move the pink dot closer to St. Peterburg. Was it just the cows or was there something else as well? :blink:

It was mostly the cows. Under the old plan, the Blue Dot city would've taken advantage of them. St. Pete's location didn't, though, and I don't like having a good resource like cattle fall between cities. Other than the cows, it's pretty much a push between the two locations, although the river frontage is a nice bonus.