Civ4 Succession Game - Codename: MCA01

Llyranor

This set of 10 turns was mostly preparation for the next guy.

If we do this again, I'd suggest either longer turns or a speed faster than Epic. We don't want people to feel like they're not accomplishing anything.

We're 1 turn away from Alphabet. Whoever takes it next gets to enter the tech-trading market. Hit F4 to see what's available (this is so phenomenally better than in Civ3 where you had to call up every leader every turn to see what they would trade!). Trade everything away but Alphabet itself-- we want to keep our trading monopoly as long as possible. Also, when a tech is available from two sources, make the trade with the one who is further behind in the score chart. Definitely pick up fishing and sailing. Masonry would also be nice. I doubt anyone will be willing to sell iron working or monotheism, but it's possible. (If not, I'd suggest researching IW next.)

Otherwise, I'd say to stop cranking out settlers after the current ones finish. This is the time to build an army and get some improvements in our cities (barracks, libraries, monasteries).

Or, we can pump it to 20 turns right now. Either way.

I'm happy to keep it to ten for the moment - I mentioned that I seemed to be setting it up for the next player as a comment, not as a complaint. I find it very stress-free to have only ten turns, because I know I can't screw the game up so much that the next player can't undo it. :D

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

• 2 weeks later...

what happened to this thread guys? I've been a lurker for years and was enjoying following your game--would love to see how you're progressing---

-I've been one of the unfortunates that have fallen into the problems with Civ IV where they sent out defective disks---I've gone through 5 sets and still can't get one to work---

Ok, I'm giving it a try.

620 BC, first turn, sent our archer over to defend the northern city spot, and sent our axemen over to check out the barbarian city. Who knows, we might get lucky and they'll have barely any defense.

600 BC, Finished researching alphabet, traded writing to Hatshepsut for Masonry. Started researching Literature, started construction of the Oracle in Moscow since it was only 36 turns and that free tech is nice.

Oerwinde1.jpg

540 BC, Montezuma demanded pottery, I declined, so that will strain relations. Traded Mysticism for Fishing with Ceasar. Rostov founded.

Oerwinde2.jpg

520 BC, found London, Axemen got ambushed by some barbarian archers but managed to pull through to get the first look at our barbarian city here. It has a good supply of silks so might be worth taking.Montezuma cancelled the open borders agreement.

Oerwinde3.jpg

480 BC, Traded polytheism to Mansa Musa for Sailing. Founded Yaroslavl', Axemen were killed by barbarian defenders while I explored.

Oerwinde4.jpg

440 BC, Last turn. Montezuma founded a city to get that copper and cows. Doubt his culture level will ever let him near that ivory though. Sending one of the workers from Novgorod up to work those hills for moscow, hopefully cut down on the build time on that Oracle.

MCA01.zip

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

hmm--wonder if we can get culture to pressure on Texcoco to get it to flip...

It would be pretty easy with a culture bomb. Don't know what are our chances of getting a Great Artist, though.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't like our chances of actually getting the Oracle with no marble, no industrious, and this many civs on the map. But the cash payout from uncompleted wonders is actually very good (better than you get building Wealth), so it won't be a big loss.

Also, when Monte cancels open borders that inevitably means he's building an invasion stack. We should be cranking axemen instead of granaries at this point.

I don't like our chances of actually getting the Oracle with no marble, no industrious, and this many civs on the map.  But the cash payout from uncompleted wonders is actually very good (better than you get building Wealth), so it won't be a big loss. 

Also, when Monte cancels open borders that inevitably means he's building an invasion stack.  We should be cranking axemen instead of granaries at this point.

Hrmm, I figured he was just pissed at me not giving him tech.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I don't like our chances of actually getting the Oracle with no marble, no industrious, and this many civs on the map.  But the cash payout from uncompleted wonders is actually very good (better than you get building Wealth), so it won't be a big loss. 

Also, when Monte cancels open borders that inevitably means he's building an invasion stack.  We should be cranking axemen instead of granaries at this point.

Hrmm, I figured he was just pissed at me not giving him tech.

That too. But with Monte, you know he's going to invade somebody fairly early in the game (usually as soon as he gets his Jaguars). Even if you'd given him the tech, he'd still probably be planning to attack. Wars with Montezuma usually follow a predictable pattern: He revokes open borders and threatens you for a few turns; then he marches a stack of a half-dozen axemen & jaguars into your territory; you switch all your production to axemen or horse archers to counter; his stack peters out at the gates of your nearest city; your cities (with better-developed infrastructure) outproduce his; and you slowly gobble up his territory. I've done exactly that in at least a half-dozen games.

To go back to appeasement, though, I'd like to make the point that it isn't always a bad idea in this game-- it can be absolutely necessary on higher difficulties. A tech or a couple hundred gold is a small price to pay for delaying the inevitable war to a time of your choosing.

BTW, I like the site you picked for the 5th city. Ports on inland seas are fun! (And it looks like the Germans or Chinese will probably build a canal we can use.)

played a while ahead. Yup, he's going to declare war. After about 2 hours of play though, he no longer exists. His bloody war was enough to keep my growth stagnant long enough for the Persians and the Aztecs to take all the good spots though.

Devastatorsig.jpg

OMG cheater! :thumbsup:

Hehe, I played a long time today. the way it went was now we have 3 religions, Hinduism being the dominant one with like 2/3 of the civs using it, then you have Isabella and Alexander with Buddhism, then you have Washington, Saladin, Asoka, and Kublai Kahn with Confucianism. Oh, and no one mentioned this was a pangea map. I built like 6 settlers, and stuck them on a couple galleons to go settle surrounding islands... only to find no surrounding islands.

Devastatorsig.jpg