What are you playing now....

Darque

:)

Reminds me of Deus Ex. All great, but why the aliens. The #1 reason why the endgame of DX sucks is that Oceanlab and Area 51 are overrun by those lame things...

Couldn't they just use more bots/soldiers or equip soldiers better/use nano-teched soldiers or anything else that DID fit the setting?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Umm...but the aliens were artificial nanomonsters, right? Like greasels and whatnot. I think it fit the setting.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I didn't mind Deus Ex, because I knew the basic premise of the game was that all of the conspiracy theories were true. When I saw them, it was just another coverup that the government pulled on us.

The thing about Deus Ex is that every loonie with a crackpot theory was actually correct.

I think it fit the setting.

I don't think they fitted in. Just like the Panzerklein wannabe's in DX:IW (Suited Templars) or those Illuminate Commando's in IW.

And if they did fit in why not keep them just to that lab in MJ12's base and in Versalife, instead of in other levels too? (query: What did greasels/karkians do in Paris or Oceanbase/running free around Area 51?) <_<

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

There were some in Hong Kong too, but I think that had something to do with a crashed MJ12 cargo.

I really don't know the answer, because I stopped playing once I reached the Cathedral and have never gone further. I'm waiting for the Rebirth graphics project so the next time I play I've nearly forgotten the the plot AND I get totally hooked on the graphics.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Never played IW.

I think the Greasels were set free in Paris to help weed out the riff-raff. As for the OceanLab and whatnot, I felt it was obvious that experiments were being run on them. Both Area 51 and the OceanLab were research centers. They started running free in Area 51 because Bob Page wanted them to, and OceanLab had an accident occur.

I don't get you people. It's like nothing is good enough, like there's always something that makes the games for you almost unplayable.

kirottu said:

I love Half-Life 2, and Deus Ex!

It's funny, because of the setting (and probably history) of Half-Life, I don't mind the alien presence. But for the most part I find many games suddenly introduce a sci-fi element almost just for the sake of it. For the most part, I actually prefer to fight human opponents. Maybe it's because I find it easier to relate to.

I'm also a big fan of the WW2 setting for games, When I play a WW2 I have certain expectations of it. When those expectations get warped by a game device that, for the most part I don't particularly like, it leaves me sour.

I always thought Silent Storm was anachronistic history, sort of WW2 steampunk and that Far Cry was heavily inspired by the 80's B-action flicks.

Serves me right I guess.

kirottu said:

I did not get that impression from Silent Storm.

I still have yet (but plan to...just been busy/lazy and sort of missed the boat) to play Farcry. The thing with Farcry is that the AI is supposed to be so crazy. The problem is, once you get into artificial beings, expectations for the AI are muddled because who knows how these things are supposed to react.

I would love for Far Cry to be inspired by 80's B-action flicks. Like Commando and other Arnie movies. Sneaking around avoiding a small army is cool. Add in some zombies and a crackpot Dr. Frankenstein, and the suspenion of disbelief goes out the window.

After playing the demo's for DX (first 2 levels) I expected it to be filled with humans and droid enemies... COOL. Untill I meet those nasty critters in MJ12's lab.

Same with several other games, where suddenly it changes to fantasy while this is NOT what made the game so good before. Obvious examples:

Dragons in True Crime (oh, the irony)

Yellow Stuff in Fahrenheit

Monsters in Far Cry and Deus Ex

Ofcourse if there IS a fantasy setting I don't mind having that stuff... I posses more games with a fantasy setting than a real-life setting, but if they try to mix that up it goes wrong.

Thinks how awfull the next things will be:

Aliens and monsters in Grand Theft Auto

A racing game in the current time where you have to avoid helicopters dropping bombs (NFS: Hot Persuit 2...awfull game)

Commando's game where you have to fight aliens

As example one of the major complaints to WO II shooters Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Mortar are the having of zombie stuff... and now see, alot of WO II setting games no longer have Zombie-stuff around. Evolution!

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

Silent Storm was meant to be an alternate timeline where World War II, science fiction and steampunk crossed together, but the combination of these elements was poorly handled. Not so much because of the elements themselves, but because their introduction into the setting was all too sudden and poorly explained. While on the Axis campaign they are showcased a bit earlier, both campaigns basically have you unexpectedly confront - as well as use - Panzerkleins and laser weapons without much of an explanation. You could argue that it would be a creative exercise in imagining an alternate history situation, and that they were derived from a would be successful Nazi venture into researching advanced weaponry which undoubtely has a real world parallel; but the addition of things like space rockets and satellites with death rays doesn't ever feel like it belongs.

:(
kirottu said:

Silent Storm was meant to be an alternate timeline where World War II, science fiction and steampunk crossed together, but the combination of these elements was poorly handled. Not so much because of the elements themselves, but because their introduction into the setting was all too sudden and poorly explained. While on the Axis campaign they are showcased a bit earlier, both campaigns basically have you unexpectedly confront - as well as use - Panzerkleins and laser weapons without much of an explanation. You could argue that it would be a creative exercise in imagining an alternate history situation, and that they were derived from a would be successful Nazi venture into researching advanced weaponry which undoubtely has a real world parallel; but the addition of things like space rockets and satellites with death rays doesn't ever feel like it belongs.

The lack of explanation is probably what did it for me. I was not expecting it at all, and suddenly on one mission I bumped into 4 of them and they wiped the floor with me.

I can understand that. If I were playing a, say, stupid Forgotten Realms game and suddenly ninja monkeys popped out of nowhere, I'd (first of all, fall in love with the game) feel outraged and sue the devs. I know Hades would.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Hmm...I never actually played Silent Strom beyond the two demos.

Far Cry, on the other hand I nearly finished and I saw the muties coming a mile aways. You were dropped tiny bits of info on weird stuff and experiments on the islands all the way through and the main bad guy's name was Dr Krieger. ****ing. Doktor. Krieger.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Silent Storm is just a series of awesome TB combat missions in a very destructible environment. The link between each mission is streneous at best. Once the panzerkleins enter the scene, the game enters an odd dimensional rift where greatness goes to die.

I bought Hammer & Sickle hoping that plot and character development would be introduced to this remarkable engine. I was mistaken. The missions were once again a pleasure dome for tactical fans, but the story was like a leviathan, swallowing whole any joy that might be had.