Magic vs. Technology

Ginthaeriel

e.g. Saturn's moon Titan and Jupiter's moon Europa would be good terraforming targets; the other moons would be terrific mines, like Io.

How so? :(

Jupiter's moons

Saturn's moons

Io is volcanic, mainly due to its immediate proximity to Jupiter and its core being squeezed and elongated as it orbits:

IO

Io is a large, rocky, volcanically active moon of Jupiter. Its volcanoes spew out molten sulfur, making Io a very colorful moon. It is the innermost of Jupiter's four large moons and the third largest. It has a diameter of 1,942 miles (3,636 km), very close in size to our moon. Io's mean distance from Jupiter is 220,000 miles (422,000 km). It has a mass of 8.93x1022 kg. It takes Io 1.77 days to orbit Jupiter. There is a doughnut-shaped plasma cloud around Jupiter near Io's orbit (known as the "Io plasma torus") This torus is caused by Jupiter's strong magnetic field, which strips ions from Io as it rotates; Io acts like an electrical generator. Io was discovered by Galileo and Marius (independently) in 1610.

Speaking of Jupiter's magnetosphere: it is powerful enough to affect radio broadcasts here on Earth!

At aphelion (the place in its orbit where Jupiter is farthest from the Sun), Jupiter is 815,700,000 km from the Sun. At perihelion (the place in its orbit where Jupiter is closest to the Sun), Jupiter is 749,900,000 km from the Sun.

The Earth orbits, on average, 93 million miles (149,600,000 km) from the Sun. This distance is defined as one Astronomical Unit (AU). The Earth is closest to the Sun (this is called perihelion) around January 2 each year (91.4 million miles = 147.1 million km); it is farthest away from the Sun (this is called aphelion) around July 2 each year (94.8 million miles = 152.6 million km).

Europa has an atmosphere, surface water ice and Icecanos!

Titan has an atmosphere, as well:

Biggest moon of Saturn and second largest moon in Solar System (after Jupiter's Ganymede). It is larger than the planets Mercury and Pluto. Titan has a thick mostly nitrogen atmosphere (with some methane) and an atmospheric pressure of 1.6 bars (60 percent greater than the Earth's). This atmosphere with its heavy clouds obscures the moon's surface. It may rain liquid methane. The surface temperature is about -178

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Atmospheres are pretty rare, so to have two big moons that have one is cool. Atmospheres give a nice protective blanket to the planet: even if we can't breathe it, it keeps temperaturs from oscillating between absolute zero (0

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

=]

And shepherds we shall be,

for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be,

In Nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti.

I love when I see one of the interesting threads have gotten a whole new page to look at.. and when I enter it's a page full of ONE-SMILEY REPLIES!

I should report you all :lol:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

:lol:

Topic again? Ah yes, in some games technolody is alright with magic, but most fantasy games I play I prefer to keep it magic only.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I think it is silly for a campaign to stagnant in technology just because it has magic in it.  Frankly I see magic and technology merging in an extended fantasy world.  Indoor plumbing will eventually be invented.

images of the final fantasies are fliting through my brain

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

How about a gun that fires lightning bolts.

Energy weapons? Already here: SDI.

Or cars that run on fairy dust.

How about hydrogen powered cars? No exhaust except water vapour. Or did you want some sort of nuclear propulsion? A gram of Uranium powers a Nuclear Submarine for years ...

Cameras that actually steals the soul of savages.

Does it have to be savages?

We'll need to first come to a definition of what a soul is ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT