Black. White.

Draken

A black family learns what it's like to be white while a white family becomes black in the six-part documentary series "Black. White," scheduled for broadcast on the FX cable network in March.

Makeup temporarily transforms the two families for the series developed by filmmaker R.J. Cutler and actor-rapper Ice Cube.

"The loud message of the show is that we are a divided nation," said Cutler, who won an Emmy for outstanding reality program for "American High." "But we can come together if we're willing to talk about our differences and work to see the world through the eyes of other people."

For the run of the show, the Sparks family of Atlanta and the Wurgel family of Santa Monica, Calif., share a home in the San Fernando Valley.

But with makeup, Brian and Renee Sparks and their son Nick are transformed from black to white. Bruno and Carmen Wurgel and their daughter Rose become black.

The race-changing makeup, administered by Oscar-nominated artist Keith VanderLaan, took three to five hours per family member.

"We're doing something that has never been done before that advances in makeup technology allow," said Cutler, who produced the Oscar-nominated documentary "The War Room."

Link

Is this the newest evolution of novel "Black Like Me"? Or is it simple exploitation?

Discuss.

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

Ah, it's exploitation. Sounds terrible, but as long as I don't have to watch it, I won't care. I mean, who cares if it's exploitation if the exploited enjoy the show and the actors are all well compensated.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

We had some stuff like this already. People made up to be a different race, or an OAP, and having to live on typical lines. I thought it was OK, but I turned off. I don't watch much TV.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

As long as it's done in a tasteful manner, it could prove to be very educational & help people appreciate each other, sociologically.

Hopefully it's not done in a gaudy, exhibitionist style.

I really liked many episodes of "30 Days," an original FX network show.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/30days/main.html

Many episodes really let me see how things are in different cultural, religious, or socio-economic situations, and helped me understand & appreciate them more.

Hopefully it will done in a similar manner. :wacko:

evil_twin.jpg

A black family learns what it's like to be white while a white family becomes black in the six-part documentary series "Black. White," scheduled for broadcast on the FX cable network in March.

Makeup temporarily transforms the two families for the series developed by filmmaker R.J. Cutler and actor-rapper Ice Cube.

"The loud message of the show is that we are a divided nation," said Cutler, who won an Emmy for outstanding reality program for "American High." "But we can come together if we're willing to talk about our differences and work to see the world through the eyes of other people."

For the run of the show, the Sparks family of Atlanta and the Wurgel family of Santa Monica, Calif., share a home in the San Fernando Valley.

But with makeup, Brian and Renee Sparks and their son Nick are transformed from black to white. Bruno and Carmen Wurgel and their daughter Rose become black.

The race-changing makeup, administered by Oscar-nominated artist Keith VanderLaan, took three to five hours per family member.

"We're doing something that has never been done before that advances in makeup technology allow," said Cutler, who produced the Oscar-nominated documentary "The War Room."

Link

Is this the newest evolution of novel "Black Like Me"? Or is it simple exploitation?

Discuss.

Calling our country racist won't help any thing, it'll just make more. Trust me, after someone uses the same insult (no matter if it

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

This is garbage, you can't learn what its like in the span of a tv show. Spend a decade or so being stuck as another race having the issues really affect you for say, a decade then tell me you know anything.

You can't learn much in the span of a tv show, but you can learn more than you knew before. I agree with Vashanti that this could be interesting if done right, but I know nothing about the network in question or their past record.

If the show sets out to show that the US is a divided nation, it won't convince because this agenda will put sceptics off. If it just shows people's experiences objectively then the differences (where they exist, and I'm sure they do) will speak for themselves.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Call me crazy, but I believe things like this actually contribute to racism. The sooner we stop trying to differentiate one skin color from another, the better. :thumbsup: And by the way, I am all for getting rid of Black History Month. If they can get it, why not Hispanics? Or Asians? Devoting an entire month to those of a particular skin color is absurd and only deepens the racial divide in America.

What actually happens in Black History Month? :huh:

You have to watch 1 NBA game a week

...or else they get you. :ph34r:

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Isn't White History dominant anyway?  Kids learn white history every single day of the year here in the US.

Well it's not like Washington or Lincoln could help being white.

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf