Winter Olympics

Delta Truth

Canada moves up to fifth with two silvers in the Team Pursuit. We've also got a shot at another medal in women's skeleton.

EDIT: Took the bronze in skeleton... :thumbsup: We are trying to imitate the Norwegians. One gold and lost of bronze/silver.

Edited by Deraldin

seemed like a pity silver....or the other people just sucked

No, they lost precisely one mark for the fall, but the rest of the routine was really good. The TV commentators went into it in great detail, because of course there was that big fuss with the pairs skating in Salt Lake City and the TV people love a whiff of scandal. They seemed to think that the rules had been applied correctly, though. I remember watching the skating as a kid and a fall pretty much put you out of the running, but that's not the case any more.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

No, they lost precisely one mark for the fall, but the rest of the routine was really good.

I heard the commentators point out several mistakes along the way, some I ever noticed myself.

If that is good enough for a silver in the olympics, man, is there room for improvement in that sport.

No, they lost precisely one mark for the fall, but the rest of the routine was really good.

I heard the commentators point out several mistakes along the way, some I ever noticed myself.

If that is good enough for a silver in the olympics, man, is there room for improvement in that sport.

They could have lost another 2 marks and still come down in 2nd place.

EDIT: Mwahahahaha! We're moving on up. Another bronze medal and Canada is now only one medal behind the Americans in the overall medal count. :lol:

Edited by Deraldin

Did you see the men's skating tonight? They were falling about all over the place - honestly, it wasn't great entertainment. The winner was just streets ahead of all the others and clearly psyched them out of the game.

Oh, and Britain won its first little medal today: a silver. We're joint seventeenth on the medal table. Woo! :)

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

well old glory needs to fly big and bold  ;)

Not so. Observe: flag_tiny_us.gif

Congratulations to Russia for their medal in the skating. I did enjoy the guy's routine, I just wish the others hadn't fallen on their backsides quite so much. I wonder if the new scoring system is pushing them to attempt jumps that are beyond them, or if it was just the Russian guy psyching them out.

Indeed what a great day for Canada I thought the new short track pursuit speed skating was pretty cool ..

Yeah can't say I'm a fan of male figure skating either but since Canada won a medal good for him ...

Glad someone posted that video never saw the fall ouch

I can't wait till the ski jumping starts and the hockey gets past the first round

I did enjoy the guy's routine, I just wish the others hadn't fallen on their backsides quite so much.  I wonder if the new scoring system is pushing them to attempt jumps that are beyond them, or if it was just the Russian guy psyching them out.

More like the Olympics psyching them out. I sometimes think figure skaters fall/mess up more often in the Olympics than any other competiton. Even Scott Hamilton didn't skate with his usual verve when he won his gold. If he hadn't placed so high on his compulsory figures (tracing designs in the ice - remember those? heh) it would've been a closer race for him, IIRC.

Tho yeah...I think they fell/missed their jumps a little more often than usual this time even so. Once there were some skaters who could consistently do quad combo's it's just nuts. For their sakes I hope no one ever manages a 5-revolution jump combo. :D In terms of the new scoring system...like one of our announcers said, it's sometimes better to do a quad and fall on your butt, as long as you finish the rotations, than to not include one....

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

OMG!!! Shootout for Womens hockey semi-final between Sweden and USA! Go Sweden! :lol:

Sweden wins the shootout! They made the finals!

EDIT: And Canada has just passed the US to move into a tie for second in the overall medal count with a gold and silver in men's skeleton. Almost had a bronze there as well! :thumbsup:

Edited by Deraldin

OMG!!! Shootout for Womens hockey semi-final between Sweden and USA! Go Sweden! :p

Sweden wins the shootout! They made the finals!

EDIT: And Canada has just passed the US to move into a tie for second in the overall medal count with a gold and silver in men's skeleton. Almost had a bronze there as well! >_<

Good kid, now don't get ****y

Bulk of US medals: Gold

Bulk of Canadian medals: Bronze

BTW, how does Australia get a gold in skiing?