Winter Olympics

Delta Truth

not really europe's problem...

No, I meant their going to have money and start being more touristy, right? They might even become the new king of the hill.

So you guys can except their money while cursing them out! :lol:

the chinese never hurt anyone... <_<

I think that's stretching it a bit. :D

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

:lol:

besides, i really don't think any country in europe is dependant on us tourism...

Utterly Dependent? Monaco.

measurable chunks of their GDP coming from outside tourism? Well:

With over 75 million foreign tourists in 2003, France is ranked as the first tourist destination in the world, ahead of Spain (52.5 million)

That's alllllllllllot of money coming in. About 8.5% of the GDP of France.

The percentage, while I'm having trouble finding it, is not even close in the U.S.

:lol:

besides, i really don't think any country in europe is dependant on us tourism...

Utterly Dependent? Monaco.

measurable chunks of their GDP coming from outside tourism? Well:

With over 75 million foreign tourists in 2003, France is ranked as the first tourist destination in the world, ahead of Spain (52.5 million)

That's alllllllllllot of money coming in. About 8.5% of the GDP of France.

The percentage, while I'm having trouble finding it, is not even close in the U.S.

notice i said 'us tourism'...

Americans spend several Billion in France yearly. Americans have traditionally been the largest group of foreigners to visit France each year, and therefor the largest single chunk of that 8.5% of GDP. When a drop off well over 25% started to occur (billions lost), what happened?

The French hired Woody Allen to start promoting Tourism to France ("Fall in Love Again" was the catch phrase) and offered steep discounts.

So I guess the French just really really love us or their just tourism whores because I somehow I doubt the reaction would be the same if the French stopped coming here.

So, what were you saying again?

Edited by kumquatq3

Well, the title of that page is "The United States International Travel Industry"

Most of the bullet points they mention international visitors, and then give a bullet to explain how they classified an international visitor.

But yes, a good chunk of that is probably domestic, as they mention 50.9 million international visitors.

If you take the $582 billion and divide it by 50.9 million, you'll get a little over $11000 per person.

Americans spend several Billion in France yearly. Americans have traditionally been the largest group of foreigners to visit France each year, and therefor the largest single chunk of that 8.5% of GDP. When a drop off well over 25% started to occur (billions lost), what happened?

The French hired Woody Allen to start promoting Tourism to France ("Fall in Love Again" was the catch phrase) and offered steep discounts.

So I guess the French just really really love us or their just tourism whores because I somehow I doubt the reaction would be the same if the French stopped coming here.

So, what were you saying again?

i'm still not convinced there countries that are 'dependant' on us tourism alone.

but anyway, i really don't get the point of this. the us relies on tourism itself... :huh:

If you take the $582 billion and divide it by 50.9 million, you'll get a little over $11000 per person.

Damn you canadians and your per capita!

I bet, without question, Canada is by far our #1 foreign tourism "partner".

Not where I got the info from, a blog where I first saw it, but I double checked it was blogs arn't always reliable:

Link, still getting more

i'm still not convinced there countries that are 'dependant' on us tourism alone.

Depends on how you define "dependent". If Us tourism to France stopped, they instantly go into a depression. The country wouldn't be utterly destroyed. Is that dependent?

but anyway, i really don't get the point of this. the us relies on tourism itself... :huh:

From...other Americans.

The point is rather simple. Re-read 2 pages.

Depends on how you define "dependent". If Us tourism to France stopped, they instantly go into a depression. The country wouldn't be utterly destroyed. Is that dependent?

From...other Americans.

The point is rather simple. Re-read 2 pages.

what two pages?

...and where did it say that without us tourism, france would go into a depression?

...and where did it say that without us tourism, france would go into a depression?

Not an economics major, are ya? If you pull roughly 1% GDP out of a country that grows about 1.5% a year, what do you think happens?

In 2003, when tourism was lowest...the French Economic growth slumped. In 04, when tourism make double digit recovers in France, the ecomony went up. Not to say tourism is the only cause, but you can't smile off billions of dollars being lost that was expected to come in:

GDP PPP & GDP Growth Rates 2002 - 2006 est.:

Year GDP

in billions of USD PPP % GDP Growth

2002 1603.740 1.3%

2003 1641.774 0.9%

2004 1724.647 2.1%

2005 1811.561 1.5%

2006 1889.783 1.8%

EDIT: tho, their in a bit of a funk right now anyways

Link

^ The US is the largest group to France link.

EDIT: best part "The French capital has held events tied to the Fourth of July holiday the last two years trying to attract American tourists."

^still think they don't need the money?

Edited by kumquatq3

Damn you canadians and your per capita!

I bet, without question, Canada is by far our #1 foreign tourism "partner".

Not where I got the info from, a blog where I first saw it, but I double checked it was blogs arn't always reliable:

Link, still getting more

Most likely. It's just so convenient. You're right there. I bet a good chunk of our tourism is you guys :p

I figured that a good chunk of France's would be having the UK, Spain, Italy, etc. etc. right there as well. Though it is a popular tourist suggestion here in North America as well. I think Canada and the US are a bit "handicapped" for our foreign travel, as we're younger nations and don't have the culture and history that the European places do. I know many people here that go back to Europe to visit old friends, or to go to where their ancestors were from back in Europe. I suspect there's much less people in Europe heading over here to check out their lineage :p

Most likely.  It's just so convenient.  You're right there.  I bet a good chunk of our tourism is you guys :p

We like to see where most of our oil is born :p

I figured that a good chunk of France's would be having the UK, Spain, Italy, etc.

I would have guessed the U.K.

I would have been wrong.

Not an economics major, are ya? If you pull roughly 1% GDP out of a country that grows about 1.5% a year, what do you think happens?

In 2003, when tourism was lowest...the French Economic growth slumped. In 04, when tourism make double digit recovers in France, the ecomony went up. Not to say tourism is the only cause, but you can't smile off billions of dollars being lost that was expected to come in:

GDP PPP & GDP Growth Rates 2002 - 2006 est.:

Year GDP

in billions of USD PPP % GDP Growth

2002 1603.740 1.3%

2003 1641.774 0.9%

2004 1724.647 2.1%

2005 1811.561 1.5%

2006 1889.783 1.8%

according to this:

http://www.worldwatch.org/pubs/mag/2001/145/mos/

there were about 75 million tourists visiting france in 2000.

according to this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/18/...ain636870.shtml

the number of americans who visited france in 2001 was 3,5 million.

you said tourism accounts for 8% of the gdp. then exactly how can you say that american tourism represent 1% of the gdp?

hint:

if tourism is 8% of the gdp and us tourism is 5% of all tourism. how much is then us tourism of the gdp...

:p"

as for your question, it might lead to a recession. not a depression.

as for your question, it might lead to a recession. not a depression.

Completely correct, clearly the wrong choice of words on my part, now on to the rest:

according to this:

http://www.worldwatch.org/pubs/mag/2001/145/mos/

there were about 75 million tourists visiting france in 2000.

according to this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/18/...ain636870.shtml

the number of americans who visited france in 2001 was 3,5 million.

you said tourism accounts for 8% of the gdp. then exactly how can you say that american tourism represent 1% of the gdp?

hint:

if tourism is 8% of the gdp and us tourism is 5% of all tourism. how much is then us tourism of the gdp...

:huh:"

Easy, we spend alot

"In France last year, the Americans spent more than British and Irish visitors combined. In Britain, the average American spends $1,000 a trip, far outstripping European visitors." "The French hotel group Accor reported a 7.8 percent slump in first-half revenues; Italy's tourist authority reported multimillion losses for hotels in the first half of this year" LINK <- Read this one

We spend ALOT more and stay alot longer. Most of those 75 million are 1-2 day tourist from other Euro countries.

EDIT: 1.I said 8.5%, btw 2. I was wrong, we're not the most numerous in terms of people (we are to Paris, hence the mix up), just represent the biggest chunk of cash in tourism 3. I have to leave for the day soon, so speak now, or limit the back mouthing till I get back!

Edited by kumquatq3

------

:huh:

We spend ALOT more and stay alot longer. Most of those 75 million are 1-2 day tourist from other Euro countries.

GDP isn't how many tourist there are, it's how much they spend combined. If we spend more than the average tourist, then our share of the 8.5% is higher than our head count percentage. So, if you assume all the tourist are the same, we get .425%, but apparently we "far out strip" other tourist in money spent per person. Hence you expect that % to be higher.

Hence I prolly wasn't too far off to say "roughly 1%"

:-

Edited by kumquatq3