Violence Today

Sophy

I think it's all instincts.

No matter what we may think of our species, humans are animals.

The primary instinct of animals is survival of the species.

When ressources are rare because there are too many individuals, it is normal for said individuals to fight for those ressources. Eventually, the weakest, unable to win food will die of starvation. Most animals will not kill members of their own species. Mortally wound, yes, but not kill intentionally. Except for humans.

If we look at our entire species, it may be possible that we are intentionnally killing each other to balance available ressources with living individuals. I am talking about a collective consciousness, one that is unseen by each individual but could be apparent if looked upon by a higher being. Hive like if you will.

Think of mice in a lab. Mice have a social structure very similar to that of humans and they have other close similarities with human behavior.

Studies have shown that if one would put together a group of mice with less food than needed OR for a certain period of time, they will eventually start to kill each other. If food is scarce, they will also resort to cannibalism. I believe it is the same with humans.

Violence is an instinctual reaction to overpopulation. We like to see it because our instinctual need is satisfied when it happens.

Thats what I think... :ph34r:

When ressources are rare because there are too many individuals, it is normal for said individuals to fight for those ressources. Eventually, the weakest, unable to win food will die of starvation. Most animals will not kill members of their own species. Mortally wound, yes, but not kill intentionally. Except for humans.

Have to disagree here.

Humans are like monkeys. They would happily share the resources that are available. It only really happens when there is a grand shortage.

But with humans we (Northern side) gladly mass-gather and leave the others (Southern side) with alot less, even if we could share the resources. And why, because we silly humans fight for some fictional thing called "money" and rather have alot of it... more then the other ones atleast! :-

Now who says we are ADVANCED beyond the apes...

Edited by BattleCookiee

Have to disagree here.

Humans are like monkeys. They would happily share the resources that are available. It only really happens when there is a grand shortage.

But with humans we (Northern side) gladly mass-gather and leave the others (Southern side) with alot less, even if we could share the resources. And why, because we silly humans fight for some fictional thing called "money" and rather have alot of it... more then the other ones atleast! >_<

Now who says we are ADVANCHED beyong the apes...

Actually, ressources are low on this planet now.

And money exist because we are lazy. Without money, humans would simply consume what they need, not what they want and the world would be much more balanced and safe. But hey, capitalism took care of the species well-being a while ago... Second world war was it? :-"

And money exist because we are lazy. Without money, humans would simply consume what they need, not what they want and the world would be much more balanced and safe. But hey, capitalism took care of the species well-being a while ago... Second world war was it?  >_<"

No, the resources on this planet are plenty. We just waste an awfull lot of it for no good.

And without money there would indeed be less fighting for that precious green colored little paper. There would still be battles for area and resources, but no pointless killing just for cash. Also violent crimes like robbery and bankrobbery and such would not exist.

And all the wars ever were either about

1) Area and resources (Roman empire, Turkish empire, Mongolian Empire) (PAST)

2) Money (Cold-War) (CURRENT AGE)

Edited by BattleCookiee

And money exist because we are lazy. Without money, humans would simply consume what they need, not what they want and the world would be much more balanced and safe. But hey, capitalism took care of the species well-being a while ago... Second world war was it?  >_<"

There's no world shortage of food or basic necessities, yet there are still famines in the world, and they're man-made.

On the original topic, it's interesting to contrast our fascination with fake violence with our obsessive, at times self-delusional, demands for safety and the minimization of risk in everyday life - health warnings on food, airbags in cars, baby harnesses...

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

There's no world shortage of food or basic necessities, yet there are still famines in the world, and they're man-made.

On the original topic, it's interesting to contrast our fascination with fake violence with our obsessive, at times self-delusional, demands for safety and the minimization of risk in everyday life - health warnings on food, airbags in cars, baby harnesses...

Hum... Yes, ressources are low on this planet. If not now, wait till the chinese start mass producing and mass consuming.

I'd like to draw your attention to the contrast between chimpanzees and bonobo monkeys. But I haven't time to get the links. Maybe someone else can jump in...

*runs off to eat dinner*

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Good point, Steve.

Also compare the people living in a war zone (like downtown LA - ha! just kidding) and a safer environment.

PJ O'Rourke made a funny observation when he holidayed in Beruit many years ago. The locals went water-skiing despite the ever-present and high probability risk of sniper attack: they regarded it as just another possible pitfall, like shark attacks.

Cf. the middle class mother who insists on driving a tank that she cannot park, turn or otherwise man

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

We'll burn in the atomic flames of our creation, one of ultimate destruction.

Nope. The last vestiges of humanity will suffocate, choking on the very air once nuclear winter sets in. :)

Violent rough sex. Play who will dominate and be the one on top, controlling the action.

Hot. :rolleyes:

The fact that it's coming from a sexy redhead: Hotter. ;):wub:

On violence as a whole...it's oddly comical, in the right context. And yes, we need it to survive. What would the world be like with out it? Dull. Lifeless. There wouldn't be "peace and love" we'd have nothing to compare those two things to, so the words lose their meaning......I don't know what I'm talking about.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

On violence as a whole...it's oddly comical, in the right context. And yes, we need it to survive. What would the world be like with out it? Dull. Lifeless. There wouldn't be "peace and love" we'd have nothing to compare those two things to, so the words lose their meaning......I don't know what I'm talking about.

Watched Serenity too many times?

Watched Serenity too many times?

Yes. :)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Violence is one way to power - actual definitions of what power is/means change but the desire for it remains, hence it's fascinating & stimulating to our old, primitive brain even as our new, rational brain may denounce it.

Perhaps if deer were cognitive/self-aware thinkers they'd be sitting around in a circle cheering the fighting stags on and placing bets. Er...yeah.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Why are you still talking about this? The topic is about violence yesterday. There is really no point in talking about it now.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.