Rap Appreciation Thread

Lare Kikkeli

Let them hate, its all subjective after all. Different people like different things at different times and listen to music on different levels.

So long as people dont say stupid things like it isnt music or its listeners are scum that should be wiped from the face of the earth, its all cool.

So long as people dont say stupid things like it isnt music or its listeners are scum that should be wiped from the face of the earth, its all cool.

Hmmm... Who on this forum could you *possibly* be referring to? :ermm:

EDIT: I agree with your point completely, BTW

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

I have to say that all the sparkly rich kids who pretend to be gangsters are often cited as the reason why people hate the music. I know they make me cringe.

And I'll have you know I _am_ old, ye wee devil. Oh yes. I am certainly NOT a somewhat precocious nine-year old aspergers transvestite from Darlington.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Rap is crap. So is hip hop, rnb, ska, rap metal and the rest of that ****.

Which of these things is not like the other.... :ermm:

Quitcha ill-associatin, rude boy!

Note: I am not disrespecting your opinion that any of the above genres of music are in fact, crap. I was just curious why ska is lumped in there. I never mentally catalogued those ska kids and their shiny shoes with those other genres.

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I enjoy a little bit of every genre of music, ohh back in the day in junior high it was Public Enemy, N.W.A but now rap or hiphop is more about booty shaking but not many of the artists are saying anything new . Common is a good artist people should check out , even Kayne West I enjoy

I enjoy a little bit of every genre of music, ohh back in the day in junior high it was Public Enemy, N.W.A but now rap or hiphop is more about booty shaking but not many of the artists are saying anything new . Common is a good artist people should check out , even Kayne West I enjoy

I do agree. The way modern rap artists go on it's almost sad how they have completely sold out their heritage. "Don't try to educate yourself, don't try to be aware of what's around you, don't escape the ghetto. Take your money and spend it on stuff that evaporates. Live as a criminal so you can prey on your brothers and get arrested. Get chewed up and brutalised at home and in jail."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I take it you have yet to witness the awesome power of Ice-T in the movie "Leprechaun in the Hood".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209095/

-Elwood Blues

My primary music is goth/death metal. My stereo can't play rap or country music.

Oh no.. You didn't just go there.. Putting rap and country together in the same sentence?! :rolleyes:

That should be against the law..

...hmm, this could be interesting, any samples of a rap-country anyone? :thumbsup:

Well, in fact De La Soul have sampled Johnny Cash...

plz a link maybe, any sample? :huh:

I doubt you could find the song for free online.

I do agree. The way modern rap artists go on it's almost sad how they have completely sold out their heritage. "Don't try to educate yourself, don't try to be aware of what's around you, don't escape the ghetto. Take your money and spend it on stuff that evaporates. Live as a criminal so you can prey on your brothers and get arrested. Get chewed up and brutalised at home and in jail."

And still they are rich, often educated and have careers outside music. Rap is all about adapting a persona, like say 50 Cent has done. 50 Cent and Curtis Jackson are not the same. In many ways rap is for intelligent people who can see past this and enjoy the lyrics as a modern form of pulp fiction.

I don't care what the artists are like. They are setting the tone for others. The streets in my city are full of wannabe gangsters living a dream like flashier and more violent live-roleplayers.

-Elwood Blues

I don't care what the artists are like. They are setting the tone for others. The streets in my city are full of wannabe gangsters living a dream like flashier and more violent live-roleplayers.

Maybe you should critisize the listeners rather than the artists then. You're judging the music by the people who listen to it, which is ignorant and stupid. Besides, it's not like rock music is squeky clean, look at Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, Patti Smith, Keith Moon, the list is endless. That's just an excuse and you know it.

Artist and listener are part of the same system. If all my fans were ignorant lowlives, and I was telling them to be ignorant lowlives, I'd have issues. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against the original gangster rappers, but a huge part of their music was anger about being what they were. The new breed are selling the lifestyle like nikes.

-Elwood Blues

Artist and listener are part of the same system. If all my fans were ignorant lowlives, and I was telling them to be ignorant lowlives, I'd have issues. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against the original gangster rappers, but a huge part of their music was anger about being what they were. The new breed are selling the lifestyle like nikes.

I could say the same about the new batch of "punk" rockers. All genres get commercial after a while. And i wouldnt call myself an ignorant lowlife, just because i recognize a good beat when i hear it :p

I completley agree with this, I live in Winterpeg and there has been many shootings in the local clubs because of people thinking their "GANGSTA" I even recently heard a song with the title "Live winnipeg, Die winnpeg" we may be the murder capital of canada, but the majority of murders are from family members or friends and accidents or crimes of passion. as oppsoed to lately with shootings in a bar. the only reason for someone to have a gun here is for hunting and a hand gun is unnessicary for hunting.

And although i agree with you I believe that the parents are responsible for what their kids do. Ive listened to rap music all my life. Im a white lower middle class person, and in grade 7 I was listening to NWA did I go around calling people N*****S or other words no, did I ever have feel like I needed a gun for protection? hell no, i would probably end up shooting my foot. I forgot where i was going.....but ya! raps great if your told that its just music and not a way of life.