Why does everyone hate Drizzt?

ramza

Just in case anyone's interested, in the books James Bond dies. It can be done. I think without that feeling of vulnerability I lose interest in a character.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

even superman dies in the comic books!

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I think Salvatore is really a "world builder" more than anything else. He used Drizzt to kind of round out his novels. But, somehow, he caught lightning in a bottle.

Anyway, as tired as I am of the "amnesia trick" and its variations, I think a CRPG in which you play an amnesiac Drizzt would be a "slam dunk" title, even for the PC market.

Give what a thought?  The fact that he narrowly escapes is done for plot purposes.  Salvatore isn't going to kill off his cash cow, that'd be just plain stupid.

He isn't a standard D&D character, nowhere did I even come close to recomending such an absurdity.  I said he is vulnerable, and he is, really no point in debating that point.  Is he incredibly powerful?  Undoubtedly, but it wouldn't exactly be a fun "fantasy" book if he weren't.

It would be better if the main character wasn't put at all in situation where he miraculously escapes. That way, the story will remain more credible. Even if Salvatore doesn't want to kill the source of its income, he should make some of his main characters die instead of killing only ancillary ones... for example, Wulfgar and Bruenor should have remained dead.

Just look at the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends trilogies... at least, some of the main characters die there. Those novels are good fantasy books (as opposed to Salvatore's average soap opera stories).

Maybe we just hate because of companions, after all... >_<

The Dragonlance Chronicles are mediocre at best. The main characters were essentially a test to "see how many cliche characters we can throw in at once." The "tortured knight," "beer-swilling and crass dwarf with a heart of gold," "chosen one mage and his simpleton brother," "outcast hybrid." Besides, it isn't hard to kill off a main character when you have a small army of them. Never really felt a connection to any of these characters anyway, except Sturm. Then it kind of fell apart when they started going into the Solmniac (or however it is spelled) drama, all this build-up about what seemed to be a dying order of knights, only to reveal they weren't dying at all, really.

The original (those written prior to the Homeland series, but taking place after them) series, the Crystal Shard through Halfling's Gem, had roughly half the score of "main characters" than that of the DLC.

As for James Bond's death... so what? Superman died once too, and what a horrible story that was. Comic book fans have hated those stories for sometime because none of the villains who deserved to kill Superman did, instead it was some prehistoric killing machine from Krypton which served no purpose, other than killing Superman and a bunch of other things.

Killing off the main character does not a good story make. Drizzt would be uninteresting without the tales of the few friends he has (not like he is interesting to me now). Salvatore knows that. Most people should know that. Shame that I have to explain it. These are books about the adventures of an emo dark elf, a dwarven king, the girl raised by drunken dwarves, a crazy halfling and a barbarian. Thorw in an emo human assassin, an almost-rebel drow, and generic villain 097 and you've got a story. Not the best stories, not the worst stories. Just stories, stories that make someone a lot of money. I'm sure he'll throw that away, though, because some small faction DEMAND that a main character die in order for books to be good.

If you kill off a main character, you lose a lot of folks who have invested a lot of thought into them. People reach a sort of false connection with these names and places. Wipe them out, and people lose interest. Fact of Life. Fact of money.

dc went through the killing of superman silliness for a reason...

*shrug*

is kinda a sad commentary that comic book fans is more discriminating than is forgotten realms fans, but the Death of Superman story arc were adopted by dc 'cause the big blue woner's popularity had waned considerably... were pretty low in point of fact. kill superman were an act of desperation, an attempt to save superman. go figure.

eventually the fr fans who likes their drow superhero is gonna get bored just as superman fans did. salvatore maybe give dizzle a drinking or drug problem for a book or two in a lame attempt to give false depth and stave off the slide to dullsville, but eventually it is gonna happen.

am actually surprised that fr fans has been willing to swallow salvatore's mindless pap for so long... but we is not surprised that salvatore and wotc has continued to crank out their ridiculous pablum. as long as folks keep paying for it, wotc will keep making it.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Maybe we hate Drizzt because the novels are adressed to a younger, less mature, age group... When I go through them again, I realize they might be an alternative choice for people who like fantasy but who hate Harry Potter.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

People who hate Drizzt either fall in one of two main groups

A) They haven't or have barely read the novels - these are the people who claim that Drizzt is some perfect God creature which he is not. He makes TONS of mistakes, he loses his share of fights, etc. I urge ya to read the short story about him, and a certain goblin

B) Those who feel the need to hate anything that happens to be popular because they feel the need to be different and cool.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

A) They haven't or have barely read the novels - these are the people who claim that Drizzt is some perfect God creature which he is not.  He makes TONS of mistakes, he loses his share of fights, etc. I urge ya to read the short story about him, and a certain goblin

B) Those who feel the need to hate anything that happens to be popular because they feel the need to be different and cool.

You can also hate him because he whines a lot... and warriors normally ain't supposed to whine!

A) They haven't or have barely read the novels - these are the people who claim that Drizzt is some perfect God creature which he is not.  He makes TONS of mistakes, he loses his share of fights, etc. I urge ya to read the short story about him, and a certain goblin

You can also hate him because he whines a lot... and warriors normally ain't supposed to whine!

You were never a soldier, right? ;)

IB1OsQq.png

You were never a soldier, right? :thumbsup:

*cough* *cough*

well, they shouldn't be whining as much as Drizzt does...

Edited by ramza

You were never a soldier, right? :thumbsup:

*cough* *cough*

well, they shouldn't be whining as much as Drizzt does...

Yep...you were never one..they 'whine' the most in their free time, or if not ,they hide it in themself...exactly like Drizzt or Carth :lol:

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

"Just in case anyone's interested, in the books James Bond dies. It can be done. I think without that feeling of vulnerability I lose interest in a character."

Great example. A character that has nearly 20 movies, and tons of novels made about him. James Bonds has less vulnerbility than Ao does. The character survives multiple cast changes as well. Now, that's invulneribility!

R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Flawed as usual. I read all of his books and I like "popular" characters.