Obsidian's Feargus Urquhart at RPG Codex forum

funcroc

Weapon Preference was usually something with burst fire, target priorities were usually a target in my general direction, and the weapon mode was full freaking auto :)

I might have mixed it up with Fallout 2 a bit. Been years since I played Fallout. Perhaps I've forgotten enough to enjoy another go at it :cool:

I do seem to remember in one of the games though, that you could select target priorities like attack who is attacking me, attack who is closest, attack random etc. And weapon priorities was melee vs ranged and aggressiveness (stupid hero to abject coward) and other stuff. I really missed something like that in Kotor (1&2).

Curious about what they come up with regarding such options for NWN2.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

NWN would work in this regard.  Baldur's Gate did a good job of it.

How did Baldur's Gate do a good job of it? Sure, you could have people stand in one spot, but in my experience they'd just stand there and get hit.

As for NWN, I found that once the heartbeat went off they'd go running around again. This was doubly obvious if they wanted to disarm a trap or unlock a door.

If I were you, I'd probably fall back on "OMG but it took them how many years. It wasn't like that upon release."

I haven't played much with NWN over the years as I primarily played the games for their single player experiences.

I did play some mods, but many of them were just garbage so I gave up on trying to filter through the garbage.

Some where very good, but they're so short that I finish them in a very short time so I just move on to something else anyways.

Edited by alanschu

So Fallout is the way to convince us that KotOR had perfectly good AI? After all, if you can reach the mark set by a ten year old game, you've achieved perfection!

Seriously, the only thing that saved the combat in KotOR/KotOR 2 was that it was easy. I have to admit that KotOR 2 had marginally more difficult fights, but nothing as tough as what the designers crafted for the six headed beast or beast with two backs or whatever the hell Vol calls the controls for the infinity engine.

Anyhow, the upshot is, we can get away with giving folks ranged weapons and making our guy melee. We can get away with taking advantage of the flaws in enemy AI. ...But that doesn't mean that combat was good in the KotOR games.

I enjoyed both Fallout and KotOR, but Hades is entirely right in saying that the player lacked control. He is also entirely within his rights to say he does not prefer such an arrangement. He's also brave for telling us that he couldn't escape the werewolf in Bloodlines. Give Hades a break.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hades usually makes well thought out and informed posts...

Mostly...

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

It was a funny joke you see...

Or was it?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.