multiple possible antagonists

Gromnir

Setting variables is as user-friendly as it gets. If you dedicate yourself to it for more than 5 minutes you can understand the functions I wrote above. :blink:

Most people just panic when they see it isn't written in sentences and give up.

void IncreaseLocalInt(object oTarget, string sVariable)

{

SetLocalInt(oTarget, sVariable, GetLocalInt(oTarget, sVariable)+1);

}

The top line is the new function used to increase a variable's value by 1.

It would look like this in a script:

IncreaseLocalInt(oGromnir, sVillain1);

That, if placed on a dialogue option, would increase the Villain1 tally by 1.

*sigh*

we get that nwn scripting is relatively user friendly.

however, that link that the swede showed us... weren't.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, aren't I the fool? I thought you meant the NWN script language wasn't, since you mentioned it in the parenthesis.

At anyrate, even some NWN scripts are rather imposing. Like my modified crafting scripts and death system. If you intend to mod games, you need at least a basic grasp of programming. I would consider myself a novice programmer, and I get dumbstruck when staring at some code, especially if there is insufficient commenting.

we were ambiguous 'nuff that your mistake were understandable. as such you gets a pass... this time.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

btw, we is all in favor of josh's factions notions... but the complexity increases with each faction added, and while that complexity affords more possible gameplay choices, it does make for writing compelling stories/characters more difficult... 'specially as you got multiple writers working on games.

HA! Good Fun!

Actually, it's very possible to do two (or more) antagonists. Thy could've done it in KOTOR if they wanted to.

If light side, the antagonist could remain Malak.

If dark side, the antagonist could be anyone (or all of) the Jedi Council.

There ya go. Case closed.

my point is that 2 antagonists = 2 main paths = 2 GAMES by modern corporate standards...sure, it can be done and I hope it will eventually be done in the KOTORs.

if I am playing a DSer, then I need a completely different cast of (full VO) characters on my ship, much different quests, teachers, etc.

you are describing an endgame in which Rakata Prime and the Star Forge are non-existant (to the player)...that's AT LEAST 2 maps that are only used by one path of the game....again, that's great but it would have taken BioWare several more months to complete.

Yeah, sounds reasonable.

Back when the Project New Jersey part of the fora was still in it's infancy, I threw the idea of factions out there. The precept was to have several sides you could join, none of them good or evil, but each having their own agenda. The player would have had a predetermined goal, call it main quest if you want, and the factions would have helped the player to achieve that, he/she just needed to accept their missions, etc. The end result would have been the victory of one faction, the main goal itself wasn't important as it was there to give the player something to work towards. I thought leaving the factions relatively morally ambigious would have forced the the player to consider how far she's willing to go in order to achieve her goal. There might have been a set ending for each faction, or one single end result with Fallout-like ending movie where the game would have shown the results of the player's actions.

Eh, it's all been made already. I'm just rambling.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

my point is that 2 antagonists = 2 main paths = 2 GAMES by modern corporate standards...sure, it can be done and I hope it will eventually be done in the KOTORs.

if I am playing a DSer, then I need a completely different cast of (full VO) characters on my ship, much different quests, teachers, etc.

you are describing an endgame in which Rakata Prime and the Star Forge are non-existant (to the player)...that's AT LEAST 2 maps that are only used by one path of the game....again, that's great but it would have taken BioWare several more months to complete.

That's not true at all. Two different antagonists don't require 2 distinct different paths. Especially if we use Gromnir's model.

What?

If that's what you got from Gromnir's post, then I'm not sure what to think....

it is just about how it would be actually implemented in today's development climate....nobody is going to put that much content into today's games.

and, again, it is unlikely that the *primary* antagonist changes...you are still off to destroy the Dragon Orb (or whatever) even though you may get betrayed along the way.

I do like the idea of the Big Bad having different ways he can spin the endgame. He might try to kill off a party member, he might try to destroy your ship, etc. The AI might have 3 different endgames at its disposal and (to make it interesting) what it chooses is totally random. Yes, we need more of that...we need to have a much different experience EVERY TIME we play, I'm all for that.

And I love the idea of joinable factions and the opportunity costs associated with them.

plano should take a look at what the biowarians claim to be doing for da.

in any event, while we recognize that multiple potential antagonists got resource costs (though you seems to be confused as to where the cost would be,) such an approach would also result in a considerable savings of resources that would otherwise be devoted to achieving the impossible twin aim of making a compelling protagonist character/story & maximization of player freedom. developers waste so much effort on antagonistic goals related to protagonist development. is kinda insane really.

HA! Good Fun!

plano should take a look at what the biowarians claim to be doing for da.

in any event, while we recognize that multiple potential antagonists got resource costs (though you seems to be confused as to where the cost would be,) such an approach would also result in a considerable savings of resources that would otherwise be devoted to achieving the impossible twin aim of making a compelling protagonist character/story & maximization of player freedom.  developers waste so much effort on antagonistic goals related to protagonist development.  is kinda insane really.

HA! Good Fun!

I really like the idea, actually. I would love to see someone try.

Meanwhile, I will "settle" for a proper DS path in the KOTOR games.

(and I'm not holding my breath for that either).