NHL

Fionavar

Hmm, I'm really not anti-Jagr at all. I think it's awesome what he has done in New York this year. I'm not going to shed tears when he takes the MVP, but of course I'd be whining more if Thornton didn't already wrap up the scoring title.

I also have never downplayed the skills of Cheechoo and Marleau. They are excellent players. Cheechoo had 28 goals in 2004, and that was when the league was much tougher to score in. But hockey is a team sport, and these guys are benefitting from the puck handling class that Thornton is putting on. He's wearing out Nashville, causing them to take penalties, and controlling the flow of the game.

Trust me, I've played hockey for a long while. When a line goes out and dominates, it makes the game easier for every other line. I don't know how many times I've seen a line control play and create chances, and then watch the next line put the puck in the net relatively easily.

"guys are benefitting from the puck handling class that Thornton is putting on."

I never doubted this; but he's also benefitting from Cheechoo's pure goal scoring ability. :shifty:

And, how is Marleau whose a center on the second line getting help from Thornton's passing. Sure, he gets help from the focus Thornton gets but not his pasisng.

I sure wish the retarded other Rangers can do that when Jagr keeps the other team busy. LOL

My point is that Thornton isn't doing as well as he did in the regular season.. unless you are stating he didn't do those othee things during the regular season.. and, now, in the play-offs he's not trying to score points?

Hmmm...

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So much for going up three to one in the series. :p I'm not going to bitch about the refs, or talk about the unlucky goals going in on Roloson. I'll just say that the Oilers looked a little beat after the pick play from Detroit to go up 3-2. Hopefully on Saturday the team can find a way to stay out of the penalty box better than tonights' performance.

That and go Tampa!!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

" I'm telling you that there is way more to playing good hockey than putting up points. "

Eh? This is obvious.

Anyways, he did well tonight.. without Cheechoo's help. :p

Hopefully Jagr will be back in top shape by next season and not go the way of Zigmund Palffy.

I can't really comment on the Oil victory since I'm just watching the tape of it now, but I should say something along the lines of '**** yeah!!!' or whatnot.

And the temptation to post this was too hard to resist....

cheliossucks3ow.th.jpg

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

From the CBC camera view it was just a black mark on the ice. Winchester was prepared I guess and had a plastic glove on under his normal one. Rolie had some retarded good saves in that first period. Like his lying prone kick save for example. And we quit taking such dumb ass penalties after the first period.

And what about Horcoff diving head first to block that shot in the dying seconds of the game? That's just plain ugly. Speaking of taking one for the team, I shelled out 25 dollars for an Oilers flag for my car. Now I'm worried that I should have pulled it off the antenae(sp) before I came in tonight. It is Saturday night, you know. But with the Flames winning tonight as well (3 games were 3-2, trippy) hopefully it will still be there in the morning.

Let me go on record now saying that if the Oilers manage to win this series I will quit smoking. Cigarettes that is.

That and Tampa Bay played the worst game in their own end I've just about ever seen tonight. You've got to expect your goalie to make some saves ( and I loved John Torterella's press conference the other night ;) ) but when you leave Martin Havlat alone in front of your net more than once it says alot about your blueliners.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Is that how the brackets pan out? 'Cos that would be good. I honestly thought that the Avs goaltending would be their downfall in the series with Dallas, but looking at yesterdays stats I see Theodore stopped 50 shots.

But I'm not looking ahead to round two. First of all I have a feeling that Detroit is going to throw everything and the kitchen sink at the Oilers tonight. This could be the last time we ever see Stevie Yzerman playing. If he's healthy enough.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Since I got back into hockey, Steve Yzerman has been my favourite player. Even if he wasn't an Oiler.

He's a total class act and give it his all. I remember when, on one leg, he was their best player in the playoffs.

I found it very interesting that he openly admitted to diving on the Laraque hit, yet the referees still gave him many calls throughout the series.

I remember when Michael Jordan admitted he got away with little travels here and there, the referees started watching him more carefully and he started getting called on it :)

My personal favorite was Chelios jumping after getting called for a high stick on Ryan Smyth in the last game.

As for the diving, every team in the league does it, it's just that Buffalo and Detroit are better at it than most teams. The more I watch the replay of the 3-2 goal from game four it seemes like Stoll knew he was getting beat so he did a little laydown himself. Those are the breaks, I guess.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Paul Kariya is a world class diver. I mean, I love the guy, but he really has made it an art form. Of course, when you are a small guy against a 6'4'' brute, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Nothing wrong with diving. It's not worse than players scoring with their skates and prteending that it was actually their stick or it was by 'accident'. R00fles!

My opinion is there wouldn't be a problem with diving if players didn't try to trip, crosscheck, and all sorts of other nasty things.