Is a truce possible?

Gfted1

The Third Reich had the backing of the Catholic Church (officially, unofficially they were quite appalled) at the time, but Soviet Russia is a good example. It is not the fault of religion or philosophy that human beings are cruel and demeaning to one another. It is the fault of ourselves for it is what we are; cruel malaicious beasts who takes delight in hurting others. It is our self destructive instinct that very very few people have risen above it.

Religion is just an excuse to vent those destructive urges.

Edited by Judge Hades

The Third Reich had the backing of the Catholic Church (officially, unofficially they were quite appalled) at the time, but Soviet Russia is a good example.  It is not the fault of religion or philosophy that human beings are cruel and demeaning to one another.  It is the fault of ourselves for it is what we are; cruel malaicious beasts who takes delight in hurting others.  It is our self destructive instinct that very very few people have risen above it.

Religion is just an excuse to vent those destructive urges.

While the Third Reich perhaps wasn't condemned by the Vatican, they had their very own ideas about how religion should be handled, and what role it should play in their model of the state. For them, religion was just another tool. They had absolutely no intention of depending on the Vatican, for anything, as that would substract from the absolute power the Nazi regime sought. You can read some more about it here.

At any rate, the point was not if there was a strong religious feeling in Nazi Germany, but if it was a society based around religious dogma, or political and moral philosophy, however twisted it may be.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Like the Third Reich?

Like Soviet Russia?

Um... right.

That does break my argument. I suppose Hades is right that any system of society can become cruel and opressive once the wrong people come to power... except that I dont believe the wrong people = any people

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I suppose Hades is right that any system of society can become cruel and opressive once the wrong people come to power...  except that I dont believe the wrong people = any people

uh, most societal systems require oppression. in such cases, ANY people in power will result in oppression (and likewise cruelty). this is not necessarily the intent, however, as they may not see their tyranny as such.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

There's a television show being broadcasted here in Denmark called "The Warriors" and it's about cruelty and how easy it is to turn two groups against each other, making them commit various forms of abuses against each other. In the last episode they actually broke the rules of the Geneve Convention, when they made a captured "prisoner" sit almost naked and barefooted in about -6 degrees celcius for 4 hours, while interrogation him.. during the interregation they also yelled at him and fired weapons (paintguns) close to his head, while he was blindfolded.. :ph34r:

this was normal people who was indoctrinated through various excersises during 4-5 weeks.. I can only imagine what soldiers etc, who have been trained to obey others for years, are capable of!

this to me proves that every person is capable of cruelty.. while I don't believe everyone is inheirtly evil, they can be trained to be vicious beoynd belief!

Fortune favors the bald.

though a truce will never happen if Bush acts like this ..

http://www.fjolletobak.com/detail.php?sear...5&content=14637

:ermm:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta