Shooting for 30 hours?

roshan

What's length worth if it lacks quality? It could be relatively easy to stretch a 3 lvl dungeon into a 6 lvl one if you can sacrifice design. Areas or the game would become forgettable.

Of course I'd love to have quality AND quantity, but if it becomes watered down, it becomes forgettable. I'd rather have a well designed area (say Drulag's Tower or IWD1's Seldarine?) then having it stretched thin to the point of becoming bland.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

BG 2 should be the norm.

Maybe, but for those of use who live in the real world, those length of games are just no longer feasible.

I blame that on consoles. Short game action for short attention spanned gamers.

Don't blame that on consoles. Blame that on the people who continually buy those games.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

BG 2 should be the norm.

Maybe, but for those of use who live in the real world, those length of games are just no longer feasible.

I blame that on consoles. Short game action for short attention spanned gamers.

Of course the trials and tribulations of reality wouldn't have anything to do with it.

It's Gabrielle. Expect the unexpect...unratio...dumb.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Chu, my old friend. :)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

BG 2 should be the norm.

If it was feasible back then, why shouldn't it be so now?

Granted, I've less time now than I had during the BG days, but does that mean the gaming world in general has undergone some drastic changes? Even with the little spare time I have, I'd rather play one BG2 than several KotORs.

If it was feasible back then, why shouldn't it be so now?

Because of growing game budgets, a game needs to cater to wider audience to profit.

Granted, I've less time now than I had during the BG days, but does that mean the gaming world in general has undergone some drastic changes? Even with the little spare time I have, I'd rather play one BG2 than several KotORs.

Indeed, market changed. Games are now marketed to more people that have lives and can't afford to spend hours and hours gaming.

^Me too, but we're about the only ones who would do that.

Games of BG 2's magnitude just aren't feasable today.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

"This was not directed at me...but I was too lazy to delete it from the post...even though it would actually have been less work to delete it, rather than explaining it."

LOL :D As for the rest of your post, good stuff. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

^Me too, but we're about the only ones who would do that.

Hey, I'd pay more too - not just for length but for better/more innovate gameplay in shorter games etc. :) It's all a number's game tho. Always is.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"We" as in the net geek rabble. :)

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

I've never played BG2 but I imagine it's one of those rare games that comes a long once in a while that manages to do everything right.

Those games a rare and I imagine the length and everything about it happened naturaly during the development phase. You can't artificialy make a game long and still expect it to come out right (Morrowind). All I'm saying is if a game is ment to be 30hours long, it's probably best it stay that way.

anybody who actually suggests replicating bg2 size, given the realities of game development today, deserves whatever derision and scorn josh decided to eventually level at them. thankfully you clowns is an easily ignorable minority.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

like most threads on this board, it is the same dozen people arguing back and forth for 13 pages.

tragic.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)