Fitness and Health

Gabrielle

Aikido is like greek wrestling orientalised. Aka wrestling with nifty-looking locks. :rolleyes:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

From an 'introduction to Aikido'.

'Aikido focuses not on punching or kicking opponents, but rather on using their own energy to gain control of them or to throw them away from you. It is not a static art, but places great emphasis on motion and the dynamics of movement.'

Yeah, this principle is very similar to that used in Taichi.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I'm, as always, right again.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I can't do the splits anymore.

Me neither. I USED TO be able to do them. Hell, compared to me Mr. Fantastic looked like a stiff.

I'm still happily limber. I run 2-3x/week, stretch daily & occasionally surf, shoot hoops & cheat at mind yoga. Plus my poor diet keeps my metabolism in tip-top wacky shape. Even typing makes me sweat.

To all those who 'eat everything' and don't gain weight....My brother, hubby, and I are like that (bro's does x-country running), and the past 5 years we've been joking how it appears it's actually possible for us to gain a little too much weight if we're not careful, even with moderate exercise.

It does catch up with you...build good habits early - they don't have to be extreme - so you don't have to play catch-up later. Relying largely on the high-metabolism (either natural or from training) doesn't work quite so well as you get older. Also, being thin doesn't neccesarily mean good-health, especially as you age and all the bad habits start to accumulate inside. >_<

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, just wondering... how old are those of you who eat a ton and don't gain weight? Just wondering... I used to be like that until I hit my late 20's then I started having to watch myself. So I'm just wondering if those of you are still young enough, or if you were truely blessed with a metabolism (even later in life) that won't slow down.

My baby girl arrived 6/16/06!

My experience with people who claim they eat a lot and never gain any weight is that they consider a cracker "a lot". When I lived in a dorm we had plenty of super computer nerds who all claimed they ate a lot and they looked like pale matchstick men every one of them. And everytime we had a dorm party and they had to eat while everyone else could see (they usually sat in their rooms playing Dark Age of Camelot or Diablo 2 and never even came out to eat), they couldn't even finish a pizza.

George Foreman used to eat like 12 hamburgers for lunch. That's a lot.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Joining the nostalgia parade....

In high school, I lifted weights religiously. I had to if I wanted to ever see the field. I was too slow to run the ball, too small to be a lineman, and I couldn't catch or throw very well either.

But I was strong, and it was a small high school, so I was able to start at guard for two years at 165 pounds. At my peak, I straight-bar squatted 400 pounds.

I fell off the wagon in college, where I became preoccupied with other things. Lately, I have taken up running (something I never could stand unless it was during a sport of some sort) as a way to combat weight gain from my sedentary job.

For me, running with an mp3 player is essential. And because I can't run very far, my obsolete 128 MB nomad is big enough for me. >_<

I still eat too many burgers, and get too many empty calories (because I'm not willing to give up good beer), but I do eat a lot of fruit and drink mostly skim milk, water and black coffee.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Or sometimes they misjudge how many calories they actually burn via their daily activities, vs. calorie consumption, even if they are eating a lot of chocolate and chips.

EDIT:

and get too many empty calories (because I'm not willing to give up good beer)

Haha, that's my hubby's main calorie problem. A six pack has a lot of calories. hehe

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Speaking of bad self insight.. One time there lived an overweight girl in my dorm. She always whined about how she ate nothing and still couldn't lose any weight and everyone felt sorry for her because it seemed she was telling the truth. She really seemed to eat very little (from what I saw), although she sat on her butt in the dorm common room watching TV from when she came home from school until she went to her room to sleep. A little more active way of life surely could have helped her. Anyhow, after a few months me and a couple of guys in the dorm bought these expensive channels so we could watch NHL at night. One night when I snuck out of my dorm room to get ready for a game, I bumped into her in the kitchen. She had just taken a box of Bigpack (swedish icecream, about half a gallon big) out of the fridge and was pouring an entire jar of hot strawberry jam on it (I had heard the microwave pinging as I walked through the dorm hallway), which she intended to eat all by herself. It was a very awkward moment.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Once I had a female boss who had to be @ 300+ lbs. It was a carpentry business so we ate out alot, being called all around the country to do work. The thing was that she always ate alot less then everyone else when we would eat out. To maintain her weight with as hard as a she worked she must have just gorged herself when she got home until she went to bed.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Very funny.

I also find it annoying when overweight people try to make an excuse for their extra baggage or when people who moan about not being able to lose weight when they arent willing to visit a gym and instead go on a plethora of fad diets.

Edited by Surreptishus

If I pack on an extra 10 pounds (goes up and down all the time) I blame my inability to stop snacking. I'm one of those late-night snackers, which drives me nuts, but oh well.

I had a girlfriend who was probably in 250+ category and she lost about 80 pounds largely from a lot of walking (she could walk faster than some people jog) and some diet changes, but last I knew, she still couldn't shed the final 50 pounds. Her brother lost 20 pounds just by not eating a pint of ice cream every day anymore. lol

Fad diets to permanetly lose weight are stupid & dont work. Although I do admit I like some of the 2-5 day cleansing fasts just to purge the system of all the crap once in a while. heh

Edited by LadyCrimson

Hmm. So I exercise, love veggies and miss more meals than I eat.

I'm skipping my way to a beautiful corpse:

"...meal skipping may be analogous to exercise in how it improves physiology. In fact, says Mattson, "intermittent fasting reduces blood pressure [and] reduces heart rate similar to what's seen with regular exercise."

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20030607/food.asp

hades you got fire some off first. think of it like an rpg... you need to level up before your ready to bag the big boss :x . hit the clubs and the bars and sag a few and micromanage a couple digits. the more thought you put into relationships the quicker they breakdown and that is a scientific fact :p

as far as exercise too many people try to do it themselves. go find a friend and join a gym, since i joined with my wife i have found it easier to get the gym. its mainly the burnout factor that you have to fight. my old personal trainer told me that 3 days a week of no more than an hour of lifting with 3 days cardio at like 80% (progressive to your abilities) is what you should shoot for. which is funny because i remember doing 5 days of lifting and doing abs everyday then getting burned out and stopping for a week only to look better while resting then after a lift. just running a mile a day will do so much for you, its just getting involved on a consistant basis.

"...meal skipping may be analogous to exercise in how it improves physiology. In fact, says Mattson, "intermittent fasting reduces blood pressure [and] reduces heart rate similar to what's seen with regular exercise."

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20030607/food.asp

This is interesting since I usually only eat one meal a day and I don't eat after 7 PM. However, don't get between me and the refrigerator at 4 PM. You'll have my footprints on your back. :x

When I started doing that several years ago, I lost about 30 pounds and have pretty much kept it off. That doesn't mean that I'm 'in shape' though. :p

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Well, I went to college a lot later than normal.  I am almost in my mid 30's.  I should take up jogging but my gout often gets in the way of that idea.  :)

:x yeah thats probally what i should have done, i think i majored more in drinking and lifting then i did in class and i was a bio major. i had a weighting elective that i got credit for (1 unit) and i must have spent like 17 hrs a week in there :p i got ripped off.