Video Card Selection Help

Commissar

I've finally been allowed to upgrade my video card. I currently have an ATI Radeon X300. I know that's a horrible card. Shut up already. I was on a budget when I bought my latest desktop (can't cut into the high heels fund, after all), and went with whatever crap Dell was willing to shove into my system for a low price.

I have no idea what info anybody'll need about my system to make a determination as to what I ought to get, but I'll throw out that I'm currently riding around on 2 gigs of RAM, and a 3.20 gigahertz P4. I'll obviously need a PCI Express card. I've been informed I cannot, under any circumstances, spend more than $300.

Help me out.

I've finally been allowed to upgrade my video card.  I currently have an ATI Radeon X300.  I know that's a horrible card.  Shut up already.  I was on a budget when I bought my latest desktop (can't cut into the high heels fund, after all), and went with whatever crap Dell was willing to shove into my system for a low price.

I have no idea what info anybody'll need about my system to make a determination as to what I ought to get, but I'll throw out that I'm currently riding around on 2 gigs of RAM, and a 3.20 gigahertz P4.  I'll obviously need a PCI Express card.  I've been informed I cannot, under any circumstances, spend more than $300. 

Help me out.

That ain't alot, go for Geforce 7.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Yes, I would prefer to stick with ATI, just because I'm lazy and don't plan to do a full reformatting of my disk in order to get rid of my old drivers.

Hardly gunna have to reformat...

Fine buy an ATI, I hope it bites you in the ass !

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

This looks great...and only a dollar away from your budget. (S&H excluded) :lol:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

This looks great...and only a dollar away from your budget. (S&H excluded)  :lol:

Know what? I'm starting to see the appeal of consoles. I drop three hundred bucks, I could have myself a brand new 360.

With a good dozen games to choose from right now. :)

Yeah, it's expensive, but this card is ATI's latest, so this price is pretty damned good. They usually go for around $450-500, and it's a generation ahead of my X850XT.

Should last you a year or two. o:)

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

With a good dozen games to choose from right now.  o:)

Yeah, it's expensive, but this card is ATI's latest, so this price is pretty damned good. They usually go for around $450-500, and it's a generation ahead of my X850XT.

Should last you a year or two.  :lol:

The price is that good because it's refurbished. God knows what that means, but I'm significantly wary of buying secondhand computer hardware.

lik wat r u ppl? fcuking n00bs. ATI is j00r new god. of awesum!

|\|()35 |\|v1d14 60nn4 P\/\/|\| J00!!

57|=/_/ \_\839 |\|00839 471 15 |-|3||4 |\/|093 77133 5\/\/337 4|\||) _|4\/\/5|_||\/| 7|-|3|\| |)\_\|\/|8\/1|)14

57F|_| Y()|_|R 73|-| R34L |\|008 F()r |_||\||)3R3571|\/|471|\|6 |\|\/1|)145 1337n355

This looks great...and only a dollar away from your budget. (S&H excluded)  :lol:

Know what? I'm starting to see the appeal of consoles. I drop three hundred bucks, I could have myself a brand new 360.

Another person sees the light. o:)

Huh? What light? X-Box 360 it's a X-box upgrade (in a way), and the games cost more, and it's not as useful...

Sorry hun, not seeing the light, a whole lot of the aybss though!

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg