The Secularism thread.

ShadowPaladin V1.0

Hey, I am just going by the history texts.  Over the last 2000 years Christianity has done more harm than any sort of good.  I judge a religion not only by what it teaches but also the actions of those who profess it to be their beliefs.

So true. Especially the people who they persecuted many years ago. I'll leave it at that, I can't really get involved in this type of discussion.

Upon your spam have I emptied my bowels of wrath.

..and it should come as no surprise that Giggles Funsworth & The Blue Meanie is the property of none other than our beloved CoF :(

"Thoughtcrime is death. Thoughtcrime does not entail death. Thoughtcrime is death."

It is evil. Many people have finally seen the light after centuries of oppression. It's slowly lsoing converts thanks to our current society and the information that is at our grasp.

Or maybe people stopped misinterpreting it, thank you. ;) If you're referring to the Crusades, witch burnings, the Inquisition, repression of women, etc., then none of that stuff is what Christianity condones.

Edited by Mothman

christian converts has been on the downfall since the beginning of the 1900's. More people have finally embraced the idea that there is no god or they have turned to another religion like Paganism.

Humans can only evolve to the next level when they get rid of materialism and their beliefs in imaginary idols that they believe create, control the world.

I seriously doubt it.  If anything, religion seems to be still going strong everywhere, in one form or another.

Usually in the less developed parts of the world. Rationality will be the new "religion".

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I seriously doubt it.  If anything, religion seems to be still going strong everywhere, in one form or another.

Usually in the less developed parts of the world. Rationality will be the new "religion".

Thats very brave of you to wish to be a rationalist. I recommend you read some stuff on Hegel. He was big on rationalism. I personally disagree with him, because being a rationlist means that natural law determines you, thus you have no free will.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Thats very brave of you to wish to be a rationalist. I recommend you read some stuff of Hegel. He was a big rationalism. I personally dissagree with him, because being a rationlist means that natural law determines you, thus you have no free will.

I never said I wanted to be one.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Or maybe people stopped misinterpreting it, thank you.  :)  If you're referring to the Crusades, witch burnings, the Inquisition, repression of women, etc., then none of that stuff is what Christianity condones.

What misinterpreting? Christians have done a lot of nasty things in the name of the Christian God. From the crusades to the bombings of abortion clinics and Planned Parenthood. A religion is only as "good" as the people who belong to it. It not just goes for Christianity but also Judaism, Islam, Hindu, and so forth.

Actions means more to me than words.

I dunno about the idea of Christianity being on the wane, at least here in the U.S. ... the last stats I saw said that Christians comprised approximately 80% of religious people here in the States.

And the Christians came out in force to help George W. Bush win the last election; the Republicans were appealing to many aspects of conservative church ideology and also advertising in churches and such.

From what I've read, Christianity in Europe, or at least in England, is not nearly as prominent as it is here in America.

Speaking of secularism and such, here are a couple of hilarious videos from "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report:"

Daily show video link: http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/12/07.html#a6225

Click on "XMas" on this link: http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_col...ent/index.jhtml

Edited by Vashanti
evil_twin.jpg

Or maybe people stopped misinterpreting it, thank you.  :wub:  If you're referring to the Crusades, witch burnings, the Inquisition, repression of women, etc., then none of that stuff is what Christianity condones.

What misinterpreting? Christians have done a lot of nasty things in the name of the Christian God. From the crusades to the bombings of abortion clinics and Planned Parenthood. A religion is only as "good" as the people who belong to it. It not just goes for Christianity but also Judaism, Islam, Hindu, and so forth.

Actions means more to me than words.

Yeah like Hades said.

For a "benevolent" religion why did they treat women as nothing more than second class citizens, slaves for so long? Why do they have issues with gays and other religions?

You know; the ancient greeks, goths, etc all considered women as second-rate citizens and slavery was there everyday. It's not like christianity brought anything new to the fold. Heck, romans were actually a lot stricter on women "rights" than early christians.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds