Plot "floors" in KOTOR I?

Sikon

Carrying weapons does mean something. If you carry a lightsaber, the people on Korriban recognize you as a Jedi, otherwise they don't. Why is Bastila immune to lightsaber identification? Even if the regular Sith on Taris didn't know how important she was, they should have known that no Jedi should ever be on a Sith-occupied planet.

Now, other questions:

* If the ruins on Dantooine are so close to the Enclave, why has nobody touched them before? Well, I recognize that the Jedi were probably not allowed to (why?), but others shouldn't have had any problems with at least talking to the droid.

The people on Korriban only recognize your lightsabre while you talk with them, not when you just stand there...

I think I made it pretty clear that it's all about the engine/game mechanics.

You always have weapons in your hands, but that has nothing do to with the story, only with the engine/game mechanics.

Don't you think that all the Sith soldiers on Taris would attack you, as you are a non-Sith carrying a weapon in public?

The reason they don't do it is simple, for them the weapon doesn't exist, just like Bastila's lightsabre doesn't exist. There is no holster for your blaster, you can't put your weapon away. But common sense says that you would put it away, if the game would allow it.

Talking with someone is something totally different. Now the game is supposed to show your weapon, the developers want it that way. They don't want it that way while you are running around, there was just no way to have you put your weapon away.

As for the ruins...

They are sealed and I doubt that many people can open them.

Even if they weren't, you might as well say that everybody who tried to get in there died a long time ago, so there is nothing left of him. It's not like Dantooine is a densely populated planet.

1.  Because she herself is a powerful Jedi and would have been useful in fighting Darth Revan.

2.  Who knows, I'll give you that one.

3.  He was waging his war elsewhere, of course.  His striking Dantooine after Revan left is more lucky timing than anything else. 

4.  Who says the dragon was there?  Besides, Revan was a smart and powerful Jedi.  Perhaps he merely had to sneek past it.

5.  That's just reused character models, not a plothole.

6.  Hmm...I'll give you this one. 

7.  I'll give you Taris, but Manaan was a neutral world, hence it'd be safe for Bastila to walk around. 

8.  As said above, Revan always wore his mask.

So really, it's more like 2 or 3 plotholes.  :)  K2's plotholes still vastly outnumber K1's.

Im interested in what plot holes there were in K2? Im replaying it and found if you follow a specific patern it all comes togather nicely and is explained pretty much fully! Dant -> Onderon -> Nar Shaddar -> Onderon -> Korriban

If you listen to the Jedi Masters stories, they all fall into place snuggly following this route.

PS: Also, since Goto and Mandalore can by fully influenced with only couple encounters and Mira requires NO encounters to be fully influenced, you also get the full story from them doing this route, plus max bonuses for lightsabre crystal.

K2 was NOT an epic story, it was more about the person then it was about the republic, but it was well crafted until the end. If anyone has examples Id love to hear them as I cant think (off top of my head) any plot holes in the game honestly.

Or this just a case of bashing K2 for the sake of bashing K2?

Edited by Kalfear

• 3 weeks later...
As for anyone recognizing Revan...why should they?

Neither Carth, nor Juhani or Canderous met Revan before. The people on Dantooine aren't exactly close to the Jedi, either. I don't believe they know any Jedi by name. If they remember some of them, it would likely be the masters, not a simple Jedi.

Apart from that, there is no prove that Revan didn't wear his cloak or the mask before he went to the war, so you might as well say that no one ever saw him.

Actually Juhani did meet Revan before. Revan was one of the jedis that freed Juhani from being sold as a slave on Taris when Juhani was a child. She tells you a bit about it and then she says: When I look at you I see the jedi that saved me (or something like that).

What bugs me the most is that after your party find out that you are Revan, Jolee says that he already knew that you were Revan. And I want to know how! I mean did he meet Revan on Kashyyykkk before???

Edited by destructive

Probably, if Jolee was there when Revan went looking for the Star Forge the first time.

I dont think that Canderous would recognize Revan, but IMO Juhani was rescued by Revan and Carth served with Revan. But Carth was ultra surprised so either:

1. He couldn't remember Revan.

2. He never got close to the man he served with or

3. He's as stupid as he is annoying.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Architect
Paying homage to the old thread... I want people to collect whatever plot "floors" in KOTOR I they can find.

I'll start with the obvious ones:

1. Bastila is a Padawan whose task is to stay in the background and do Battle Meditation. How did she end up in a Jedi strike team sent to capture the Dark Lord of the Sith?

They needed her Battle Meditation because without it they wouldn't have been able to get even close to boarding Revan's flagship (Which would of been well guarded)

2. Calo Nord survives the destruction of Taris, even though Davik's estate was falling apart, the only ship capable of evading the blockade was gone, and he was buried under a pile of rubble.

What difference does it make? He survived, end of story. Just use your imagination.

3. It takes several weeks to retrain Revan as a Jedi. All these weeks Malak is doing nothing and then chooses to destroy the Jedi Enclave after Revan and the company left it.

I think Malak got his priorities wrong. One of the first things he should of done as the Dark Lord is to destroy the hidden refuge. Malak knew the academy was on Dantooine. He was once a Jedi Knight, he's been there. But it seems it is just a coincedence that Malak attacked Dantooine when Revan and the crew left.

4. How did Revan and Malak reach the Star Map on Tatooine for the first time if there was a krayt dragon guarding it? (Well, unsure, maybe the dragon came later.)

The real question is, was the Kraypt Dragon there at the time? If so, then how they reached the Star Map is beyond me.

5. The Dark Jedi in the Temple - they sort of remind me of that one Dark Jedi on Bespin in Jedi Outcast who was sitting in a small 3*3 m room locked with a security key from outside...

This is ridiclious...How is this a plot hole? It's just a game, this is to do with graphics and character models.

6. HK-47 says he was built after the Mandalorian Wars, yet he says that one of his masters (a Mandalorian) sent him to assassinate Mandalore. Was there another Mandalore between Ultimate and Canderous?

Now that is a plot hole. HK-47 was created near the beginning of the Jedi Civil War.

7. None of the Sith ever recognize Bastila. Even when the heroes are running around with lightsabers, the Sith on Taris and Manaan are totally ignorant. Only on Korriban Bastila suddenly gets concerned about being recognized and stays behind.

You just have to assume storywise that Bastila would of stayed in the Taris Apartment's, avoiding detection from the Sith. Revan and the crew would have picked her up when they escaped Taris. Besides, why would Bastila be allowed in Davik's Estate? Only Revan and Canderous would be...

People who should have recognized Revan include Carth, Juhani, possibly Canderous (maybe he knew, but decided not to tell Revan), and at least some of the townsfolk on Dantooine. Well, unless Revan never took off the mask during the Mandalorian Wars

Juhani saw Revan when she was a child. It's possible to forget what he/she looked like...Carth served under Revan and Malak but had never met Revan, he did meet Malak however, Canderous never met Revan in person and besides Revan wore his/her mask even before the Mandalorian Wars, even when he/she was a Jedi Knight.

and during his training.

Edited by The Architect

Doesn't it say somewhere that Revan built HK47 using the starforge? It's been a while so I'm not 100%...

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

1. Bastila is a Padawan whose task is to stay in the background and do Battle Meditation. How did she end up in a Jedi strike team sent to capture the Dark Lord of the Sith?
Like someone mentioned earlier she was probably on the shuttle that boarded Revan's flagship using her BM to ensure that they did board Revan's flagship.

2. Calo Nord survives the destruction of Taris, even though Davik's estate was falling apart, the only ship capable of evading the blockade was gone, and he was buried under a pile of rubble.
Again, he survived. Mentions he was hard to kill. There could be hundreds of possiblities like when the Ebon Hawk was warming up to make it's get away he climbed out from under the rubble and back into the hall way and was picked up by Sith forces later, stole a ship or something.

3. It takes several weeks to retrain Revan as a Jedi. All these weeks Malak is doing nothing and then chooses to destroy the Jedi Enclave after Revan and the company left it.
Because Malak's fighting a war on another front as well? Seriously he is at war witht he Republic what you should be really asking is why Bastila was not helping the Republic during all this.

4. How did Revan and Malak reach the Star Map on Tatooine for the first time if there was a krayt dragon guarding it? (Well, unsure, maybe the dragon came later.)
Doesn't Komad say that it had recently moved into that area and that was why he said he needed to kill it because it was too close to Anchorhead? So the first time around all Revan would have had to do was find out where the map was, which is why HK speaks the Sandpeople's language.

5. The Dark Jedi in the Temple - they sort of remind me of that one Dark Jedi on Bespin in Jedi Outcast who was sitting in a small 3*3 m room locked with a security key from outside...
Not even gonna bother with this one, because it's not a plot hole.

6. HK-47 says he was built after the Mandalorian Wars, yet he says that one of his masters (a Mandalorian) sent him to assassinate Mandalore. Was there another Mandalore between Ultimate and Canderous?
My guess would be yes there is an upstart Mandalore between Mandalore and Canderous. The Mandalorian datapads that you find on Kashyyyk mention Mandalore as well, and Canderous mentions that those Mandalorians were the first to turn tail and run when the war began to go against them. Also the Mandalorians on Nar Shaddaa in K2 mention that anyone could buy a helmet at a swoop track and claim to be Mandalore. Perhaps it was one of these Mandalorians that claimed to be "Mandalore".

7. None of the Sith ever recognize Bastila. Even when the heroes are running around with lightsabers, the Sith on Taris and Manaan are totally ignorant. Only on Korriban Bastila suddenly gets concerned about being recognized and stays behind.
I leave Bastila in the apartment on Taris for this very reason. Also on Korriban it's your character that suggests Bastila stay on the ship. And there is a difference between the grunts on Taris and the Dark Jedi (like Uthar and Yuthura) on Korriban.

People who should have recognized Revan include Carth, Juhani, possibly Canderous (maybe he knew, but decided not to tell Revan), and at least some of the townsfolk on Dantooine. Well, unless Revan never took off the mask during the Mandalorian Wars and during his training.

Carth says he never met Revan only Malak. Carth and Canderous never would have seen Revan until Revan joined the war effort. Personally I see Revan as a woman (don't for the love of all that's holy turn this into a gender debate, I beg you) so she used the mask and cloak to hide the fact that she was a woman to be taken seriously by the Mandalorians (patriarchal society) as a warrior. Juhani never met Revan she says so in the .tlk files although that dialog was cut from the final game. Also whether you play Revan as male or female Juhani says the Jedi who convinced her to join the Order was a woman, "The Jedi who convinced me to join the Order, she was human" (which I like to think was the Exile but that's just me).

"They might not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me, you are. It's not the sort of thing that you just stop being. You're stuck with it, just like you're stuck being the General." ~Bao-Dur, Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords

The Dark Jedi in the temple aren't a plothole. Malak has authorised them to enter long before.

As for the Krayt dragon, Bastila says in-game that it nested in the cave and became enslaved by the Star Map's dark power. This could have happened at any given time.

One flaw I noticed was Bastila using Force Wave to repel your party on the temple summit, yet her not having it when she later joins your party. And no, it doesn't matter if she had it before, after she's turned her Force Powers are wiped and replaced with a new (less effective) set.

HK-47 was created by Revan and was sent by Revan to assassinate Mandalore, HK-47 failed and lost his memory and eventually wound up in that idiots shop on tatoine. That means HK-47 was built before the Mandalorian wars or at least near the beggining of the Mandalorian wars. This is also a fact because HK-47 himself tells you this when you unlock his memory in K1

Edited by KoToR3:hopefull

HK says he was built just before Revan and Malak began their war to conquer the galaxy, which would be the Jedi Civil War.

"They might not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me, you are. It's not the sort of thing that you just stop being. You're stuck with it, just like you're stuck being the General." ~Bao-Dur, Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords

One flaw I noticed was Bastila using Force Wave to repel your party on the temple summit, yet her not having it when she later joins your party.
Well, it happens in Jedi Outcast as well (and ironically, also on Bespin, not long after Dark Jedi in a small room), when Kyle Katarn uses Force Choke on Tavion, even though he doesn't have this power at that point in the game.

Ya and in the flashback you have on the Leviathon the Twilek jedi master is wearing a red suit, but if you go through his closet on Datoonie you noticed he only ownes blue ones. Its like in the movie Meet Me in St. Louis during one of the musical number the little girl dancing with Dorthy from the wizard of Oz, her socks just change colors.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.