Religious video games

Hildegard

First of all let me say that I'm Catholic, but these 'American Christians' are one crazy bunch of people, I mean religious video games??!! :( Just makes me wonder what they'll come up with next to get an extra buck

But hey America is one of best examples of exploiting religion for financial means, not to mention political <_<

I like this site, which gives Christian reviews of mainstream games, and even gives a Christian rating. :blink:

I wonder who's responsible for starting all these forest fires.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I don't have any problem with Christian stuff (though personally I think it's a bunch of crap designed to rip off concerned parents), except that the whole point of these Christian games are to end controversial violence, yet some of them have gun toting crusaders? I'm sorry, but just because you tack the word "Christian" in front of the title doesn't make holy wars good family fun.

sig2.gif

That site gave pretty normal reviews of games. It had a few lines about the morality of the game, but I don't see how that's bad.

When I was a kid, my buddy was only allowed Christian games on the NES. There was one really neat Noah's Ark game where you ran around collecting animals. I remenver it was pretty advanced for those days.

I don't think 3DO's Requiem: Avenging Angel was ever launched as a christian shooter, but it fits just as easily. In a way I guess it's a kind of taking responsibility for their upbringing, which isn't so bad: Teens and kids should be utterly repressed and molded into crusaders and righteous super-soldiers.

(Signatures: disabled) 

That was actually a pretty good game. I got sent a comp copy. I dont object to playing christian mythos games anymore than I would object to playing egyptian mythos or viking mythos games.

I wouldnt play some thinly disgiued propoganda though.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

That site gave pretty normal reviews of games.  It had a few lines about the morality of the game, but I don't see how that's bad.

When I was a kid, my buddy was only allowed Christian games on the NES.  There was one really neat Noah's Ark game where you ran around collecting animals.  I remenver it was pretty advanced for those days.

I remember that one. I hated it because it was so theologically incorrect. You had to collect sheep. WHY WOULD NOAH BE RUNNING AROUND THROWING ONE TYPE OF ANIMAL IN A FENCED AREA AND DODGE THE GOAT!?!? it was much more boring than other games like mario at the time.

I always thought a fun game would be to role play king David from the old testament. It would be an RPG where you start as a normal sheperd in the house of Jesse, and then become annointed by samuel, then kill goliath, then escape from Saul, then become king and ransack opposing kingdoms with the help of God. And you could make it more fictional by having dialogue options that take you different places than David went in the Bible, or for example you would refrain from having an affair with Bathsheba and killing her husband. You could have stuff like Holy points and Sin points. lol, jk about this whole thing.

When I was a kid, my buddy was only allowed Christian games on the NES.  There was one really neat Noah's Ark game where you ran around collecting animals.  I remenver it was pretty advanced for those days.

Did it have an evil campaign option available where you take a sub and sink Noah's Ark o:)

You could have stuff like Holy points and Sin points.

And that's the problem. It can't really be an RPG unless you have the choice to do bad as well as good (arguably an RPG should have much more choice than this, and this is the bare minimum), and if your King David is allowed to wander around massacring the innocent like some Sith Lord, would it still be considered a Christian game?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

And that's the problem.  It can't really be an RPG unless you have the choice to do bad as well as good (arguably an RPG should have much more choice than this, and this is the bare minimum), and if your King David is allowed to wander around massacring the innocent like some Sith Lord, would it still be considered a Christian game?

It depends. If by massacre you mean "spiritual warfare", then yes.

Edited by Darkside
sig2.gif

First of all let me say that I'm Catholic, but these 'American Christians' are one crazy bunch of people, I mean religious video games??!! :) Just makes me wonder what they'll come up with next to get an extra buck

But hey America is one of best examples of exploiting religion for financial means, not to mention political <_<

I like this site, which gives Christian reviews of mainstream games, and even gives a Christian rating. :huh:

I wonder who's responsible for starting all these forest fires.

That site is a riot Steve... they rated FFX as more offencive to christians than Metal Gear! And Tenchu Wrath of heaven appears to be their most offencive game that they've seen in the world! It nearly beats out Vice City!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That site is a riot Steve... they rated FFX as more offencive to christians than Metal Gear! And Tenchu Wrath of heaven appears to be their most offencive game that they've seen in the world! It nearly beats out Vice City!

Not suprising FFX takes a huge dig at organised religion and blind obedience.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You know...Wolfenstein 3D was actually verboten in Deutschland...and any nazi killing ww2 game is actually some kind of assault on Germany... in another age, but still...

Watching Terry Gilliam's latest film, The Brothers Grimm, I was tickled to see his representation of the Napoleonic French and their arrogant domination of the Germanic people and the disdain they demonstrated to the sacrosanct forests ... kinda lets the audience in on a little of the background that helped lead up to WW1.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well doom did beat out Vice city... As did Xenogears for the PS1... they have some really funny ratings at that place.

Well doom did beat out Vice city... As did Xenogears for the PS1... they have some really funny ratings at that place.

XenoGears touches on the nature of creation I doubt they like that sort of thing. Actually Xenosaga goes one better. Is that one on the list ?

478327[/snapback]

XenoGears touches on the nature of creation I doubt they like that sort of thing. Actually Xenosaga goes one better. Is that one on the list ?

Xenosaga ep 1 got a higher "christian" score than Xenogears.