KOTOR Time Line Or NJO Time Line?

KOTOR era has so much more to offer that still keeps the Star Wars feeling to it. There is Sith and Dark Jedi that are abundant within the galaxy making for a familiar yet different enemy. Aswell as the fact not all Species/Races/Planets, in the movies or books, have been discovered and documented so this makes for some interesting ideas to write about.

NJO on the otherhand, albiet it is a little interesting, just hasn't got what it takes IMO. The downsides to it to me were...

Chewbacca's death - Yes, our beloved wookiee was killed...why....just why!?!?!

Coruscant's "Vong Forming" - This was ridiculous...never in the Star Wars era (that we know of) has Coruscant fallen under control of the bad guys. I admit it emphasises the real threat the Vong posed to the galaxy, but to be honest this was just a bad move considering Coruscant is that "light at the end of the tunnel" in the galaxy.

Coruscants Restoration - Well to add insult to injury they go an restore Coruscant from its terraforming. IMO i think this was due to the large amount of unhappy fans that didn't like the fact Coruscant was Vong Formed in the first place. So again, another bad move.

Number of Authors writing the NJO series was annoyingly ridiculous, there seemed to be no set structure in how the whole NJO plot was going to start, continue and finish.

Reformations of the Government and Relocations of the Jedi Order really did get boring and repetitive. They just over did it if you ask me.

Luke Skywalker - I think he needed to die in the NJO era and that would have shown the ultimate price of the war with the Yuuzhan Vong. Then young Anakin, Jacen and Jaina Solo could have become the major focus as the kick ass Jedi. Speaking of Jedi i felt Luke and Jacen, mainly Luke, in the NJO were far too "Uber Jedi". They seemed too powerful for who and what they really were, afterall Luke hasn't had proper Jedi training, he has very little information on the Jedi techniques of old, specificly the more powerful ones and yet he has become some Uber Jedi God.

They overpowered Luke far too much and needed to have killed him if you ask me. He might have been the Chosen One's son but that doesn't make you a Jedi God. Had they killed Luke off it would have opened doors for persuing more into Jacen and Anakin Solo. I just feel something needed to be done about Luke's Uber Jedi Godness and somethign was needed to be done between Anakin and Jacen Solo.

Although the one best bit of the NJO for me would be the introduction of...

Yuuzhan Vong - an introduction of a new race which is so very different to any other within the Star Wars Universe. They were interesting if but a little boring in places. But overall they fitted the sadistic S&M freaks that they were meant to be. Aswell as providing a different look to the Star Wars "technological terror" way of presenting new threats to the galaxy. Their mad biology and organic technology made a nice contrast to the Star Wars mechanical technology. It always seemed to me a more, man(organic) vs machine war with man portrayed as pain loving skin head aliens who like to self harm.

I so agree with all of this! I hate it when Troy Denning killed Anakin Solo. I mean the character hadn't even developed yet and the auther killed Anakin which was dam right stupid. I mean I love Luke Skywalker but heros have their times and its time too move on with a new better generation of heros in NJO. but any way I don't like the NJO much any way because the authers have blotched all the stories but totally. As for KOTOR! it rocks! the stories are far far more better then the botched up NJO. I say bioware has done a subperb job in creating a new era for star wars-KOTOR.

Really, sadomasocistic fleshsculpting aliens who are a total mystery. How very original.

Yes. Sarcasm indeed.

Sounds like they got their idea for that from VtM's Sabbat. :(

The Tzimisce. Not to mention Warhammer 40k's Dark Eldar.

Yes, very original indeed.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Isn't it said that immitation is the greatest for of compliment?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Depends on if the imitator is good.

This time I rather doubt it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I just started reading a bunch of books in the EU... I am currently up to the JA Trilogy and I know alot about the NJO even though I haven't started the books yet and it's pretty straight forward with the Vong beating down the New Republic and then finally the NR drives them out.

With the Kotor storyline there is a lot more mystery and strange things happening which I really like more.

IMO, one of things that makes it SW is the idea that the true enemy is within....the evil in all of us. I think KOTOR captures that pretty well.

With NJO, you have a totally new antagonist that downplays the constant inward struggle. While it may have its redeeming points, it cannot compare to OT or KOTOR, IMO.

problem with the njo, it's not a story... it's a freaking big FANFIC, and don't tell me otherwise, those who love it , love it because of luke skywalker, leia and han solo, those who are not fans don't love it. other problem, to understant it, you have to start reading books even before the njo, otherwise you dont know all the perso and etc. in kotor, you have new heroes, a new story, etc

Baisically, KotOR is a good gulp of fresh air in a place crowded with bad stories.

You don't have to be a KotOR fan to realise this fact.

Edited by Bulgarian Jedi

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

The best thing about pre SW movie time periods is it's unexplored territory which gives writers more liberty on what to write about. They can create new characters, worlds, species and the freedom to pick what time era to place all of this in.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

The best thing about pre SW movie time periods is it's unexplored territory which gives writers more liberty on what to write about. They can create new characters, worlds, species and the freedom to pick what time era to place all of this in.

You hit the nail right on the head. That's another reason why I like this timeline. If they were to skip a couple hundred years after the Dark Nest Trilogy or Legacy of the Force series it would be a lot to work with.