Western RPGs dying out?

Craigboy2

Are Western RPGs dying out?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Are Western RPGs dying out?

• Yes, there's bearly any left.
    • No, the RPG genre isn't growing or dying.
    • No, there's more RPG's than ever.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

That's becoming less and less of an issue I think.

True, because more and more gamers invoke a dozen definitions of immersive every new day until developers have to conform to their tastes. In this case there's some consensus that voice acting is immersive and required for a larger number of games and game genres, hence devs follow the trend.

I think the time of text gaming is over :thumbsup:

Looking at how much text is still used in games - and oftentimes needs to be used - I don't think you're terribly accurate there.

Low budget games don't count ;)

Self-serving mindsets don't count.

Unless you want to state that games like Final Fantasy, which use extensive text in the larger part of dialogues and story presentation, are low budget. The same applies to pretty much all other RPGs, console or computer-wise.

It's not much different that it's always been. The only thing that has really changed is your seeing more imported JRPGs.

There never were a great deal of western RPGs , although the recent crop have been pretty dire compared to the earlier ones on the PC.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Where's a volcano when you need one...  :rolleyes:"

That's ok, I used to feel as you do... then I actually got a console and some games...

Shoot didn't you get the memo?

If you interface with a game using anything other then a mouse and keyboard, that makes the game inferior regardless of the quality of the actual game.

In order to be allowed to call yourself an rpg fan you have to only like Fallout, Planescape and old school rpgs like Ultima.

You must also bash and dislike the Baldurs Gate series, KotOR and it's sequel then act like you saw all the plot twists coming a mile away. That is unless you are on the Obsidian or Bioware baords, then they are the best ever.

Where's a volcano when you need one...  ;)"

That's ok, I used to feel as you do... then I actually got a console and some games...

Shoot didn't you get the memo?

If you interface with a game using anything other then a mouse and keyboard, that makes the game inferior regardless of the quality of the actual game.

In order to be allowed to call yourself an rpg fan you have to only like Fallout, Planescape and old school rpgs like Ultima.

You must also bash and dislike the Baldurs Gate series, KotOR and it's sequel then act like you saw all the plot twists coming a mile away. That is unless you are on the Obsidian or Bioware baords, then they are the best ever.

The essence of CRPGs indeed. =(

Final fantasy sucks and thus doesn't count.  :blink:

Nice dodge. Herve would be proud of you.

Nice comeback. ;)

There are so many Final Fantasies I dont see how anyone could say they universally suck. :ermm:"

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]