This gen vs. next gen

Epiphany

This is one of the reasons that I don't trust any of you. Epiphany is abrasive, and so it's fair game to attack everything he says? There is an obvious difference between the two screen shots in the original picture. The second picture he posted in this thread is truly remarkable.

No, I'm not a graphics whore, but, all things being equal, better graphics increase the quality of a game. xbox 360 clearly has some advantage.

Now, while we can as a matter of course that Hades will generally claim indifference to everything, at least some of you should concede the difference in the screen shot. ...But NO! Console fans are truly a breed apart. You people deserve each other. The first time someone show a picture of some great graphics on a revolution or PS3, I'm refering them to this thread. Just plain stupid.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The first time someone show a picture of some great graphics on a revolution

Best of luck with that one. According to Nintendo there will be no screenshots of any revolution games. :thumbsup:

Gears of War is impressive in 1080 as would most things. However most games wont run it and you wont get it without a deluxe 360 and a HD TV so it's definately worth pointing that out.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I agree. Aren't next gen games supposed to be better by leaps and bounds and whatnot?

Oh my god... Are you really that dense, or are you just trying to fit in.

:)

You know, you catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.

That being said, I'm obviously not trying to "fit in." That seems to be you with your constant praising of the mainstream XBox 360. If you must know I finally got around to purchasing a Gamecube a few months ago. Only console I own. How's that for trying to fit in?

We'll just have to wait and see when this stuff is finally released. Still, I'm less than impressed by doctored screenshots. And if you think they aren't doctored, you're the one who's incredibly dense.

Now, kindly get over yourself.

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

The first time someone show a picture of some great graphics on a revolution

Best of luck with that one. According to Nintendo there will be no screenshots of any revolution games. :)

Gears of War is impressive in 1080 as would most things. However most games wont run it and you wont get it without a deluxe 360 and a HD TV so it's definately worth pointing that out.

Seriously. The only time I play video games is when I have a little extra free time (between classes, before nighty-night time, etc) in my dorm room. Now, I play on a small 19 inch regular television. I guess the Xbox360 isn't for me?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Seriously. The only time I play video games is when I have a little extra free time (between classes, before nighty-night time, etc) in my dorm room. Now, I play on a small 19 inch regular television. I guess the Xbox360 isn't for me?

Wouldnt see any point in getting one right away. Your probably going to come up against the same thing with PS3 as it's using HD as well. Of course by then your situation may have changed. Revolution isnt doing HD Nintendo dosnt see the point.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Revolution isnt doing HD Nintendo dosnt see the point.

Which is why I respect Nintendo a little more (it feels we're saying that, but whatever). They're more about innovation and gameplay that clammoring (sp?) to the graphics whores. It's bit them in the ass before, but I'd rather have new and inventive ways to play games than simply an upgrade of graphics...

And really the only reason I'm semi-interested in the 360 is for Oblivion, but for that I'll just borrow my brothers after he inevitably buys in and quits using it.

Edited by Arkan

Which is why I respect Nintendo a little more (it feels we're saying that, but whatever). They're more about innovation and gameplay that clammoring (sp?) to the graphics whores.  It's bit them in the ass before, but I'd rather have new and inventive ways to play games than simply an upgrade of graphics...

And really the only reason I'm semi-interested in the 360 is for Oblivion, but for that I'll just borrow my brothers after he inevitably buys in and quits using it.

Nintendo always come up with fun games. I've had great fun playing DS games recently.

The wand thing is a bit out there when you first see it . But it really seems to have captured the imaginations of the Japanese developers and thats where innovation tends to come from.

I think anyone who wants to see more than Halo V or Fifa 2022 should support Nintendo just out of principle.

478327[/snapback]

Which is why I respect Nintendo a little more (it feels we're saying that, but whatever). They're more about innovation and gameplay that clammoring (sp?) to the graphics whores.  It's bit them in the ass before, but I'd rather have new and inventive ways to play games than simply an upgrade of graphics...

Nintendo always come up with fun games. I've had great fun playing DS games recently.

The wand thing is a bit out there when you first see it . But it really seems to have captured the imaginations of the Japanese developers and thats where innovation tends to come from.

I think anyone who wants to see more than Halo V or Fifa 2022 should support Nintendo just out of principle.

Speaking of which, my brother is probably near finished with Lunar: Dragon Song (which was his sole reason for buying a DS, go figure), he's going to let me borrow it. Any game suggestions?

Speaking of which, my brother is probably near finished with Lunar: Dragon Song (which was his sole reason for buying a DS, go figure), he's going to let me borrow it. Any game suggestions?

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Adventure game based around investigation and courtroom cases.

Nintendogs - It's just one of those things you have to experience.

Lost in Blue - Kind of like an adventure/harvest moon cross. You need to outfit a house and collect food to survive. The adventure bit kicks in once you are established.

Advance Wars DS - Not too different from the GBA versions but still very good. Even better if you never played the GBA ones.

Metoes - It's a puzzle game hard to describe but equally hard to put down if it grabs you.

Those are the ones that spring to mind.

I heard Lunar didnt turn out very well ? What did he think of it ?

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

Nintendo and Apple should join forces to create an Ipod and DS crossbreed.  :D

Nintendo have a deal with McDonalds to do WiFi in their resturants. Means you can play Mario Kart while your munching your burger.

I don't really like McDonalds but if they started to do it in other places I might give it a go.

478327[/snapback]

I heard Lunar didnt turn out very well ? What did he think of it ?

I haven't asked him about it in a while, but I will...then again, he's a Lunar fanboy, hehe... Too bad Working Designs didn't do this one :)

I haven't asked him about it in a while, but I will...then again, he's a Lunar fanboy, hehe... Too bad Working Designs didn't do this one :(

If he does mention it could you post something please ? It dosnt look like that will be getting a UK release :( And I'd hate to import it if it's crap.

478327[/snapback]

I haven't asked him about it in a while, but I will...then again, he's a Lunar fanboy, hehe... Too bad Working Designs didn't do this one :(

If he does mention it could you post something please ? It dosnt look like that will be getting a UK release :( And I'd hate to import it if it's crap.

Not a problem. :(

Bioware's Programming Head came to my school today to talk. It was mostly about AI, in addition to tools.

One person asked if they would hope for more resources to be allocated to AI, and the speaker didn't seem to be too optimistic. The main thing he pointed out was that the graphics content is increasing by about 8x, but the memory is only increasing by 4x. According to him, he fully expects the GPU to use at least half of the memory for graphics.

I wonder if he was talking graphics for Bioware games, or for graphics in general for games (I'm assuming he was talking about graphics on the XBOX 360).

When the question elaborated to how much resources when compared to the current generation, he still seemed rather pessimistic. I got the impression that as a percentage of total resources, he would expect it to go down rather than up :(

EDIT: In other news, he did mention that they are planning on using a truly adaptive AI for the "uber hard" difficulty level of Dragon Age.

Edited by alanschu