NHL is back

Fionavar

Instead of shootouts they should have just gone with playoff style overtime. Multiple overtimes are generally more exciting than the regular periods since any action near the net could mean the end of the game so its all edge of your seat no matter how long it goes.

At least in my experience.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I don't mind the shootouts, in the regular season when only a point is at stake.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/20...280706-sun.html

A small article about Ovechkin..

I wonder though: who is the better player of Ovechkin and Crosby? I have seen Ovechkin play in the junior world championships and the real world championships and I really like his intensity and playing style (agressive!), but since I've only seen Crosby once (I think) I can't exactly compare them. From the hype surrounding Crosby, he sounds like Gretzky reincarnated, and if that's true then there's no question about it. The points claim they're about equal (so far).. I guess time will tell.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Instead of shootouts they should have just gone with playoff style overtime. Multiple overtimes are generally more exciting than the regular periods since any action near the net could mean the end of the game so its all edge of your seat no matter how long it goes.

At least in my experience.

That would be a lot better than shootouts although it would make it tough for any team that has back to back games if they end up playing multiple overtime periods in the first game. Not that we are likely to get many 3 or 4 extra overtime periods considering all the scoring.

I doubt the teams/players would have ever agreed to endless overtimes during the regular season.

Also, I think part of the multiple overtimes being exciting is that during the playoffs, each game has a more tangible meaning and impact.

In the regular season, particularly at the beginning, it's tough to get fired up over two points that seem much more inconsequential.

I think both Ovechkin and Crosby will be stars, but Ovechkin seems to be more of a goal-scorer and Crosby is the playmaker. I think this is because Ovechkin hasn't been surrounded by people who can play with him, so he tends to hog the puck. At least that's what I saw in the Juniors, I haven't seen him play in the NHL yet.

I've only seen Crosby in one game. The kid dishes out sick passes.

You know, I'm hella pissed I have to work late tonight and miss the Canucks/ Avalanche game. And my $3 bet on the proline today will net me over two grand if the gods of luck are shining down on me (which they aren't).

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Wish I could see the Atlanta - Pittsburgh game.. 10 goals after two periods (unless they net even more in the final 3 minutes of the second)!

And it looks like my Leafs are falling again.

You know, I'm hella pissed I have to work late tonight and miss the Canucks/ Avalanche game. And my $3 bet on the proline today will net me over two grand if the gods of luck are shining down on me (which they aren't).

Hope your money was on Colorado

Both Ovechkin and Crosby are showing they are gonna be superstars

I think both Ovechkin and Crosby will be stars, but Ovechkin seems to be more of a goal-scorer and Crosby is the playmaker. I think this is because Ovechkin hasn't been surrounded by people who can play with him, so he tends to hog the puck. At least that's what I saw in the Juniors, I haven't seen him play in the NHL yet.

I think Crosby will get the calder trophy this year but thats only because of the players he's surrounded with. I agree Hurlshot, from what I have seen from Ovechkin is he seems like a more natural goal score at this point compared with Crosby and a puck hog, but playing on Washington will force you to do that

I enjoy the shoot out and its not like every game is ending with a shoot out, just look at Ottawa win in 4-3 in overtime

Once the play offs start then endless overtimes are exciting cause more than 2 points are on the line

With all this talk about Crosby and Ovechkin, somebody, though not a rookie, is making a rather loud name for himself as a goto guy. That's Jason Spezza, currently tearing it up for Ottawa and proud owner of the highlight reel goal of the night. Sheldon Souray looked like he had lead in his skates after being owned by Spezza's deke.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Overtime has become more exciting because of the shootout. Teams go all out because they know someone is going to get the extra point. It's not like in previous seasons where you split a point each...someone is coming out with that second point.

Please Jebus, please. Let the Oilers win tonight. With a lot of goals. Plus a solid effort from the opening faceoff. And no more ****ty goals going in. And stupid penalties and turnovers.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I kind of like the shootout too, as long as it's only about a bonus point. I hate when it decides an entire game like it does in football.

Please Jebus, please.  Let the Oilers win tonight.

Uhm.. They're facing Dallas.. and they're the away team.. That's kind of tough.

Anyhow, I just noticed that Ovechkin scored twice in the first period against Tampa. Nice.

With all this talk about Crosby and Ovechkin, somebody, though not a rookie, is making a rather loud name for himself as a goto guy. That's Jason Spezza, currently tearing it up for Ottawa and proud owner of the highlight reel goal of the night. Sheldon Souray looked like he had lead in his skates after being owned by Spezza's deke.

Ottawa did the right thing in developing him slowly, playing him on the third line and having him play in the AHL during the lockout did wonders for his develpment, Having scoring wingers such as Heatley or Alfie will do wonders for him

Did anyone else notice the 7 -6 lead CAROLINA has on Phily oh my

and I guess Edmonton is on top of things

Carolina is shocking the hell out of me. After knocking off Boston the other night, defeating Philly tonight and ending the unbeaten streak of Ottawa, somehow this team has turned it around so far this season. After being basement dwellers since hitting the cup final, the 'Canes have now not lost in regulation since October the eight.

What shocks me the most is that Carolina is doing this without the talent of clubs like Detroit , Ottawa and Vancouver. Cory Stillman? He's the poster child for inconsistancy. Ray Whitney? Play an 82 game season for a change. It's a bunch of young kids with a lot to prove in the likes of Erik Cole, Eric Staal and Justin Williams. Whatever they're drinking down in the south they should bottle it and make a mint.

Oh yeah, and the OILERS WIN!!! THANK YOU JEBUS!!!! :D

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

And of course Toronto has to face Ottawa.. again. What is it now? Tenth time this season? I don't mind that certain teams will face each other eight times per season, I just wish Toronto had gotten an easier team than Ottawa. I mean, the lucky bastards meeting Washington eight times are going to have 16 easy points just from that mini-series.

And still no word on Sundin. :( Stupid eye.

Hey, us Edmonton fans have to put up with Minnesota, Vancouver, Colorado, and Calgary. I think both of our divisions are very, very tough.

Toronto has Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, and Buffalo.

I was thinking Carolina may have benefitted from being in a weaker division, though they have knocked off some big teams as well.

And hey, I couldn't watch it, but at least we freakin' won and could score some goals! :D

Now we play Nashville :o

Edited by alanschu

And hey, I couldn't watch it, but at least we freakin' won and could score some goals! :D

WOOT WOOT!!!!

Even if we lose tonight it'll be okay because that gawd awful streak is over!!

What sucks more is that the Preds/Oilers game isn't televised at all. No sportsnet, TSN, CBC, foxsportsnet, nothing. :o

I guess I have a little more sympathy for MKreku now.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif