The President V. The Onion

kumquatq3

Defacing coins and bills, thus turning legal tender into waste, reduces the amount of money in circulation and should therefore be counter-inflationary. So it's actually good for the economy, and the people who do it should get medals, albeit small ones.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Defacing coins and bills, thus turning legal tender into waste, reduces the amount of money in circulation and should therefore be counter-inflationary.  So it's actually good for the economy, and the people who do it should get medals, albeit small ones.

Maybe you were joking, but defacing one, a hundred or a thousand coins doesnt matter. The amount of money in circulation is always under a careful tally, and it is replaced/refilled to a certain point. Thus, it will never affect the inflation rate. One of the main factors of inflation is the number of people in the country and value of the currency on the world market.

*Same goes for paper bills

Edited by Akhan225

Doesn't Bush have something better to do than with his time than fret over a satirical newspaper? It's scary if he doesn't. :/

Hmm...I would say that if George would rather fret over The Onion than run the United States, that's okay with me.

Mind you, there's very few people in American politics who I would like to see running the United States. The more of them fretting over the Onion, the better. At least that way, things could hardly get worse, right? :thumbsup:"

Good point. :)

except for the fact that bush really doesn't have anything to do with enforcement of this. my guess is that he doesn't even know anything about it. the secret service routinely investigates a myriad of issues daily. to presume that they inform the president of every little violation is ridiculous.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Doesn't Bush have something better to do than with his time than fret over a satirical newspaper? It's scary if he doesn't. :/

Hmm...I would say that if George would rather fret over The Onion than run the United States, that's okay with me.

Mind you, there's very few people in American politics who I would like to see running the United States. The more of them fretting over the Onion, the better. At least that way, things could hardly get worse, right? :thumbsup:"

Good point. :)

except for the fact that bush really doesn't have anything to do with enforcement of this. my guess is that he doesn't even know anything about it. the secret service routinely investigates a myriad of issues daily. to presume that they inform the president of every little violation is ridiculous.

taks

Understandable that Bush doesnt know what happened, but he doesnt know anything that happens half the time. I quoted "issues daily" in red because The Onion has had to have been running for at least a few years, right? Why try to prevent the paper from using the seal now? Why not when the paper was started?

because they probably just first found it... not everyone is as clued in as al gore, the inventor of the internet, you know...

good that you could find the time to throw in the jab at bush's apparent lack of intellect. i won't bring up kerry's failure to outperform bush while at yale, however. :roll:

taks

partisan politics are "stupiding up the batch" as the previous posting suggest.

The best thing about the Onion is that they don't have an agenda other then to make people laugh.

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

PWOT is better.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

because they probably just first found it... not everyone is as clued in as al gore, the inventor of the internet, you know...

good that you could find the time to throw in the jab at bush's apparent lack of intellect.  i won't bring up kerry's failure to outperform bush while at yale, however. :roll:

taks

You really don't think this could have even a subtle connection to low poll numbers concerning job approval and the like?

I'm guessing Pointless Waste of Time.

That is correct, but I think The Onion is still better than Madox.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

How can that be? maddox is teh best page in teh universe!

You were misinformed. It is net the best page on the internet. Just some whiny kid.

No, it really doesn't. Unless you think that Bush agrees that Pittsburgh is vunerable to zombie attack (the onion headline).

Pittsburgh is vulnerable to zombie attack??? :- :ph34r: Run!!!!

Yep and a Giant Robot went on a shooting spree a few weeks ago injuing 14 other robots... and a mother found that her child was INDEED the center of the universe.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

... and a mother found that her child was INDEED the center of the universe.

I liked that last vignette of the Twilight Zone film, too.

Rod Serling was a dude. I remember designing an adventure game, based around the Twilight Zone, for the 6502 ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You really don't think this could have even a subtle connection to low poll numbers concerning job approval and the like?

uh, doubtful. as far as i can tell, we're the only ones discussing it, and barely at that. pointless, sure, but they have to do their job in the end (they being the secret service).

his poll numbers aren't just low btw, they are cratering.

taks

uh, doubtful. as far as i can tell, we're the only ones discussing it, and barely at that. pointless, sure, but they have to do their job in the end (they being the secret service).

his poll numbers aren't just low btw, they are cratering.

taks

Perhaps. I give them more credit for the subtle things, though. The Onion's widely read; any portrayal of Bush as some kind of moronic stargazer at the moment wouldn't be in the White House's favor, and The Onion makes it a point to pillory Bush at every opportunity. Perhaps it's descending a bit too far into the realm of conspiracy theories, but I could see them doing something along these lines to begin rebuilding the image, yeah.

Even if Bush is a Gospel Singer short of a choir, he is still surrounded by the best advisors and management talent money can buy, so I fail to see how White House decisions can be as bad as they are made out in the various media.

Take Iraq, for example. I don't think there are many people who still believe there was a justified (or justifiable) WMD reason to invade the country, yet there are clear and justifiable defence reasons for invading Iraq. A stable source of energy is essential for any country. Defence, the first order of business for a government, requires energy just as much as industry ... the rise of Salafi / Wahabism (the doctrine that al Qa'ida adhere to) and the clear, declared threat posed to any authority placed above the theocracy (i.e. all secular governments including elected democracies) provides sufficient probable cause for any country to want to stabilise the energy source by neutralising the overt threat.

It is only international window dressing that requires these byzantine machinations are labelled for distraction ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT