Is Bill on crack ?

Well, you can get a 80 gig hard drive under $50 now.

80 gig is piddly for five years worth of games . It would be ok as a rental device, but worthless beyond that.

Makes you wonder why MS and Sony made such a fuss about 20GB HD's pushing up the costs though dosnt it. Especally MS since both live and thier emulated backwards compatibility require them to function.

Alun found a 1 TB HD which was about $1000 and thats a bit closer to the 900GB Ipod that Bill thinks we will all be using.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

no thank you - I dont like iPods

The technology to implant control devices has been around a while. It's just another one of those things that people wont accept.

I'd kind of like to have the widget that opens the car implanted into my body, never have to look for it again then.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I have already said that I believe a lifetime pass for each game you buy is needed for it to become a viable solution, exactly for the types of concerns mentioned.

What happens if the company goes out of business and you can no longer get the game?

You can always burn the game onto CDs/DVDs yourself though.

You get the same problem with patches and stuff too, for both types of games.

"Alun" ... ouch.

Edited by alanschu

Back when I was a PC gamer full time I had 2 , 500 GB HD's in my machine.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/10/24/maxtor_5...ives/index.html

Today Maxtor released their first 500 GB harddrives..

Not 100% accurate. It's in this quote.

"Maxtor has added 500 GByte versions to its 3.5" harddrive product portfolio. According to the company, half a terabyte space is now available in the firm's 7200 rpm MaxLine Pro series for the enterprise segment, in the QuickView family of consumer electronics drives and in the desktop-targeted DiamondMax 11 drive series".

The larger sizes have been around for quite some time.

478327[/snapback]

"Hitachi's Deskstar 7K500, currently the largest desktop hard drive on the market..."

Source: http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q3/desks...00/index.x?pg=1

What the hell did you buy..? Apparently Hitachi was the first with a 500 GB harddrive and that was like two months ago.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

"Hitachi's Deskstar 7K500, currently the largest desktop hard drive on the market..."

Source: http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q3/desks...00/index.x?pg=1

What the hell did you buy..? Apparently Hitachi was the first with a 500 GB harddrive and that was like two months ago.

No, your getting confused with the type . 500GB in a 3.5" form factor that was bursting at the seams with just 20MB so many years ago".

HD's used to be big beasts, you would have a series of a disks (8 was the most I can recall) and a series of heads reading those disks. Sixteen was about the most I ever saw. Then you had your usual cylinders.

The articles you are reading are about 3.5" HD's which were like the holy grail of HD technology since the things I was refering too would never fit into a desktop or a laptop they were purely for tower cases. Or in some cases external.

Mine I believe was a 5.5" although it could have been 7.5"

478327[/snapback]

"Back then?"

I have been seeing 3.5" hard drives for at least 5 years though (when I started building my own machines.

I know that the drives used to be really big, but I've never heard of them approaching 500 GB. At any size.

I remember when Quantum had a 36 GB SCSI 5.25" drive and it was huuuuuuge in 1999.

I know DEC had a hard drive that was in two big cases when my Dad worked for them in the early 80s....took up half the room, with 16 discs in each. It held about 20 MB.

Just because the Hard Drives were much bigger back then (when is "back then" anyways?), doesn't mean they were holding 500 GB of information. The density of sectors on the platters is what's pushing up the drive.

I mean, the 3.5" floppy held more information than the 5.25" floppy.

The earliest I had seen for a 500 GB drive was LaCie's external 5.25" drive, in the early part of 2004. Though I had heard nothing but bad things about their reliability, and the $1000 price tag didn't exactly fill me with warm fuzzies.

Did your Hard Drive have a fan Shadow? Because I know those things were VERY hot.

Edited by alanschu