Volourn's Review of Bioware's Kingmaker

Volourn

Well.. what can I say. I didn't actually think I'd ever be playing this module; but as luck would have it it amazingly came to stores near me. I picked it up, played through it, and now here are my thoughts for it.

KINGMAKER: THE MAKING OF A KING

---------------------------------------------

The package: The entire disc compliation cost $29.99. Since Kingmaker makes up half half of that; that is what it will be judged as. The 'manual' is basically just a little blurb. nothing to see there other than to set up the vary basics of the module.

Generalities: The module promised 5-8 hours. Fromw aht i've seen, 5 hours is the absolute minimum unless you rush through. As for me, it took about 9 hours or so taking my time. And, that's messing out on a few quests.

Resting was basic. Youw ere allowed to rest anytime you want except in dungeons or other battle areas. This works out fine in such a relatively short module as most of the time any combat will be occuring in said dungeon.

Introduction: This was very good. The game opens up with you introduced to your party members - a collection of misfits if there ever was one. This openings cene introduces you also to the main vilalin though you do not see his face 9(nd, in reality, he may be the villain; he is not the true antagonist of the mod, imo). The PC also has to make a very tough and awful choice (not really for the goodhearted).

Non Player Characters: I chose the Azer Fighter Calibast, and the Dryad Druidess Kaidala. The dryad was a good npc; but she remidned too much of Aerie from BG2. Calibast, on the other hand, like most of BIo's dwarven npcs is off the charts awesome. While not evil like a crtain BG2 dwarf; he is very violent, and love the ladies. Unlike most dwarves though he is a pretty big flirt. Just ask Kaidala. Like most dwarves, he is a drunk. Calibast is also very loyal. The henchmen also interatc quite a bit with you, each other, the environemnt (though comments0,a nd even other npcs.

Non joinable npcs varied from unmemorable to very memorable. The grandmother, the candle stick, and the scout are three of the better ones.

Role-playing: Every quest has multiple ways to do it. The main one espicially has almost countless it seems. Choices, for the most part, do matter.

Combat: It's pretty well balanced; but it is espciially bias towards those with high ac. Fore xample, while the druid and myself (a mage) had to work to live, Calibast for the most part laughed his way to victory. At the end of the game his ac was 28 and with spells by me it could reach 32. It mad ehim almost unhittable for most enemies. Other than that, the combat was fun ... if you like NWN's combat, that is. I would presume melee types would just absolutely LOVE the main magical artifact you get in the game.

Area/Mod Management: Some of the areas are brillantly done. The Ancient Crypt was oneoutside of the simple fetch x items to complete the first aprt of a puzzle (though the puzzle itself was cool).The second level of the duerger caves was keen. the keep itself was of good size with various stores with neat items as well as a Rogue Guild as well. the townsfolk really added to the atmospphere. The biggest beef I had was how the majority of 'dungeons' were all on the same overland map. I just found that way toooooo convienent.

Story: Well.. The story is good depending on which story you are talking about. From what I saw there were actually three main all interconnecting storylines. Ill go in order.

1. This one is your simple old fashion 'big evil' wanting to conquer/destroy a certain palce with you standing in the way. the Big bad hismelf was cool, and you had plenty of oppurtunities to interact with the mind flayer in question. Heck, in the final battle, he stunned me severla times and ate my brains. Not fun for a mage. Luckily,the azer was such a tank.

2. The election. The PC was in a three way race for lord/kingship. Hence the title if the module. I kinda wish the process of trying to obtain the various guilds' votes was more than just do x for them and you'll get it. I do like the fact that there is an actual time limit on this though with an oppurtunity to extend the time limit as well. I also like the fact that you don't have to kill your two compeititors either nor is either one a horrible choice for leading the keep too, imo.

3.Learning about your family. From discovering that you aren't exactly who you thoguht you were. To learn that you aren't exactly as normala s you thought, and maybe not even the most normal of the party even consideirng what youa re travelling with. From Grandfather Weapon to Grandmother Otherworlder, your family past is full of questions. Question that aren't totally answered. Not alll good; not all evil.

Character: I played a gnome illusionist. Did very well using spells to buff the azer, defensively on me, and offensive spells here and there espicially illusionist types. I finished the game level 9 (final boss got me there).

The best thing I think i can say about the mod is that i think it's very replayable. just the combination of henchmen is enough to want to try again. Add that to not being able to complete all quests, and different ways to do different things it's all good.

Overall. I like Kingmaker. I feel, inspite of its length, it's as good as the OC, better than SOU; but but not at the level of HOTU. It is about equal with KOTOR as to comapre it to a full fledge game.

8.0/10

P.S. I await the calls of fanboyism. WOO HOO! :thumbsup:"

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions.

P.S. Remember - post constructive repsonses, not stuff that makes me have to do stuff!

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

*peeks from behind hand*

Are there any spoilers?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ah nuts.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ynhh, if the price tag would be halved I might consider.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I would rate it "above average" to play, but it was certainly not good enough to entice me to replay it with a different choice of NPC.

Also, I applaud using innovative NPC races, but I think the gimped tiger-thing (can't remember the race: some D&D geek please jump in ;)) was perhaps going too far. And I've seen enough were-rats for a while.

And I didn't like the whole delivery mechanism: sure, check my original licence when I install the mod: but EVERY time I restore a saved game? Nuts.

This and the Witch one (Witch Queen? Witch's Wake?, whatever it is) are not up to the standard of some of the community mods. :thumbsup:

Edited by metadigital

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It's halved if you buy it online.

Really??

EB has it for $20 US while you can buy it on the Bioware online store for download at $8 US. <_<

For those who haven't bought any Neverwinter Nights games, there is another (surprise!) Neverwinter Nights bundle with the original, both expansions and Kingmaker for $30 US. :thumbsup:"

I was looking for a review, not a list of features with views. :thumbsup:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Volourn is poking fun of us. :rolleyes:

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.