Rome

Shadowstrider

I tell you what, Master & Commander is a great fli::BLAM::

I was really dissappointed when that film wasn't about the H.M.S. Pinafore, oh well

So Rome....they got.....hats......

Another bone I got with Rome

Deadwood makes me feel like I'm looking at Deadwood, Montana in the old west. Band of Brothers made me feel like I'm looking at the battlefields of Europe.

Rome makes me feel like I'm watching guys in costumes act.

Guest Fishboot
I dunno, it seems like everything they do is predictable to me.

Well, there's not that much slack in the historical record for most of the characters. Pompey has to do what he actually did, as does Caesar, Marcus Anthony, Brutus, Cato, and Cicero. I find the stuff with the quasi-historical characters like Pullo and Lucius and the slightly historical like Atia to be pretty unpredictable - I didn't see Lucius leaving the Legion at all, although it makes sense now that we see how deeply religious he is.

I wish they'd focus on Cato and Cicero a bit more, though.

I dunno, it seems like everything they do is predictable to me.

Well, there's not that much slack in the historical record for most of the characters. Pompey has to do what he actually did, as does Caesar, Marcus Anthony, Brutus, Cato, and Cicero. I find the stuff with the quasi-historical characters like Pullo and Lucius and the slightly historical like Atia to be pretty unpredictable - I didn't see Lucius leaving the Legion at all, although it makes sense now that we see how deeply religious he is.

I wish they'd focus on Cato and Cicero a bit more, though.

Ya, but who didn't see Pullo fighting in the bar. Who didn't see him being the cause of the fight at the end of the episode that forces Caesars hand? Who didn't see that Lucius wife was actually cheating on him and it was her kid. Who didn't see Glabius getting killed when that girl came to visit. Hell, who didn't see pullo ending up with that cart of gold.

Basically, while watching the episodes, I know whats about to happen 5 minutes or more before it happens. I have been rarely surprised by this show. Not much in terms of twists or just new ideas. It seems like it is just recycled ideas with a Roman twist. All I'm saying.

Ya, but who didn't see Pullo fighting in the bar.

Okay this I anticipated, but what movie or show takes place at a grunge, dive bar type place and does include a brawl? No good one, thats what!

Who didn't see him being the cause of the fight at the end of the episode that forces Caesars hand?

Me. It never crossed my mind.

Who didn't see that Lucius wife was actually cheating on him and it was her kid.

I saw this coming, but when Lucius' wife said she didn't I wanted to believe her. I didn't, but wanted to. Good acting. This event (like the one below) are pretty transparent, intentionally I think. Otherwise they wouldn't end the episode on that note. The event itself isn't whats important to the story, its what happens WITH the event that matters.

Its building their characters up. If you think TEH DRAMAS are unfolding now, you're wrong. If this event itself were important they'd have shown the two of 'em making the baby. Its not that she cheated on him, its that she did so, lied to him and regrets both that matter.

Who didn't see Glabius getting killed when that girl came to visit.

Well this was pretty much a given, but this isn't an important event in this regard. The importance of it is that the mother could lie so well to the daughter after merciless ordering her lover's death. Glabius the character = unimportant to the story. Galbius' death, on the other hand, is building tension for future stories - at least I would hope.

Hell, who didn't see pullo ending up with that cart of gold.

Same as the last two, this isn't the importance of the matter. You said yourself that they did something you'd didn't expect with Pullo when he saved the girl. We don't know what he is going to do. The event of him discovering and then running off with the gold is just a catalyst to trigger character development.

Will Pullo return the gold? Return some of it? None of it? Will he give some of the gold to the girl and let her go? Will the two fall in love (I bet yes)? Will the two fall in love and she convinces him to return the gold? Will the two fall in love, and he wants to return part of the gold, but she tries to convince him not to?

This is what is important, not that he got the gold; its what he does with it.

Same with Lucius and his Wife. Will Lucius return to military service? Will his wife tell him the truth? Will his wife's revalation and his feeling of dishonor drive him insane?

Personally, I think you're taking this too much at face and not thinking about the actual depth of the events.

Basically, while watching the episodes, I know whats about to happen 5 minutes or more before it happens. I have been rarely surprised by this show. Not much in terms of twists or just new ideas. It seems like it is just recycled ideas with a Roman twist. All I'm saying.

So you knew that Octavian would be captured by Pompeii's men and that they would still Caesar's eagle? I didn't. I thought he was going to simply take the horse back to Pompeii - the depth of the scheme surprised me.

You knew that Lucius would abandon the 13th? I didn't.

Hell, we don't know whether or not Pullo even saved the girl. Its entirely possible he didn't want to leave the girl lying in the field and run off with the gold with Caesar running past; that'd arouse suspicion.

Werd.

Most of your arguement was: "sure you saw it coming, but it's character development". What fun is it if the characters develop in a a) predictible way b) in a way that makes no sense.

What this show tends to do is show it's hand too early. I can't tell you exactly what will happen in the next episode or anything, but as I watch that episode I'll likely see nothing I didn't expect or see coming.

It's not bad. Just not good. It could get better. As I said, it seems to be less than the sum of it's parts.

You said yourself that they did something you'd didn't expect with Pullo when he saved the girl

Nope

I said it was out of character and that the writers didn't seem to know what they want the guy to be or how to evolve him properly.

It was clear he was going back for the girl as soon as he could. This is the same guy that was talking about how hard it was to rape brits. In the first episode he wouldn't listen to his superiors. In the third he was yelling at someone about desertion.

Personally, I think you're taking this too much at face and not thinking about the actual depth of the events

When the events are soooo shallow, you hit the bottom quickly.

So you knew that Octavian would be captured by Pompeii's men and that they would still Caesar's eagle? I didn't. I thought he was going to simply take the horse back to Pompeii - the depth of the scheme surprised me.

O come on, you thought the kid would make the jury unharmed????? They practially flashed "DANGER DANGER DANGER" across the screen. I didn't see pompeii's men stealing the eagle tho.

You knew that Lucius would abandon the 13th? I didn't.

Nope, those two are the notable exceptions I thought of when I said "basically". It may be the only reason I watch next week. That and the actors as a whole seem to be much better than their material. It's got to get better.

Hell, we don't know whether or not Pullo even saved the girl. Its entirely possible he didn't want to leave the girl lying in the field and run off with the gold with Caesar running past; that'd arouse suspicion.

1. He cut her ropes and set her free "lovingly" before opening the cart. He may have only taken her with him because of Caesar, but he did "save" her regardless.

2. Twice he asked to help the girl pre going back for her.

7/10

HBO for me, off the top of my head, so you can se where I stand:

Band of Brothers: 10/10

Deadwood 8.5/10

Entourage: 6.5/10

Oh and think about this, as well.  If Lucius' wife tells Lucius that the child is in fact hers, and not their daughters, will Lucius revoke the wedding permission of the boy and his daughter?

All character building :)

just because you label something "character building" does not make it automatically good, interesting, clever, or well done

You want good character building? Rent Master & Commander :thumbsup:

Guest Fishboot

I dunno. I think saying, "I saw everything coming!" is pretty easy and subjective, and has about as much critical worth as saying that one simply doesn't like what one is criticising. Not that simply not liking something isn't okay or worthy as a statement, but framing it as criticism is... eh.

Episode 3 -

Anyway, one thing I wish is that they'd made it more clear how Lucius was reacting to Niobe's half confession about the baby at the end of episode three. I couldn't tell if he had intuited the real origin of the baby and was allowing her not to say it herself or if he was assuming the wrong thing about where Niobe was going. I would think that his religious beliefs would mandate some reaction to her infidelity (... I suspect rather lethally) but I'm not sure. I suppose it's the type of thing that will be obvious in the first few minutes of the next episode but it's throwing me off.

Most of your arguement was: "sure you saw it coming, but it's character development". What fun is it if the characters develop in a a) predictible way b) in a way that makes no sense.

Your arguement is "I know whats happening as it happens!" Ofcourse you do, what would you rather have happen? Tribune Marc Anthony is attacked on the steps by the mob for no apparent reason? Glabius leaves the city, only to return later and sweep his former wife back into his arms?

Snore.

Like I said in my last post, of course these events were obvious as they unfolded. The events themselves aren't important, its what will happen as a RESULT of them that are important.

Ofcourse Glabius was killed, they foreshadowed it in episode 1.

Are you honestly telling me that you thought the daughter would believe the mother's denial of the murder? I didn't. The two barely stand each other, why then would the daughter, who was told Glabius would likely die, believe the denial? It builds the scenario and the characters. Once again, Glabius is not important to the story, his death is.

Ofcourse there are problems between Lucius and his wife, they forehadowed it in episode 1 AND the whole fact that he's been away on war for what must've seemed like an eternity.

Again, the fact that there is tension between them isn't whats important, we all knew there would be.

What this show tends to do is show it's hand too early. I can't tell you exactly what will happen in the next episode or anything, but as I watch that episode I'll likely see nothing I didn't expect or see coming.

It's not bad. Just not good. It could get better. As I said, it seems to be less than the sum of it's parts.

No it doesn't. Not at all. If there was nothing but conflict building and no resolution of minor conflicts at all, then it would be a horrible show. It has an OVER-conflict and several episode-long conflicts.

An over conflict would be Lucius and his wife.

An episodal conflict was Pullo's battle in the bar, and then the battle at the Senate's steps - Hell we don't even know if this is fully resolved yet.

When the events are soooo shallow, you hit the bottom quickly.

Problem is they aren't. I'll say it again - Glabius' didn't matter. His death did. not how he died, the fact that he died does. The events themselves you mention are set ups for the greater issues.

Would you have rather that Glabius lived? Or that he was killed at random? That he wasn't introduced at all? Snore.

Its all a set up.

O come on, you thought the kid would make the jury unharmed????? They practially flashed "DANGER DANGER DANGER" across the screen. I didn't see pompeii's men stealing the eagle tho.

Where did I say that he'd be unharmed? I thought they'd kill him and take the horse. Thats what I thought Pompeii sent the men to do, not stealing the eagle or kidnapping the boy. I thought they'd kill him, take the horse back to Pompeii and be done with it.

Nope, those two are the notable exceptions I thought of when I said "basically". It may be the only reason I watch next week. That and the actors as a whole seem to be much better than their material. It's got to get better.

The actors are all great.

The material is great, too. I find the criticisms you're making invalid, because, as I said, the events your critisizing are pretty useless.

Okay, so the child is Lucius' wife. So? Would you have rather it have actually been the girls and she goes off to marry the herder-boy, and they all live happily ever after?

ZzzZZzzZzZZZz

Again, it was a set up for the tension to come.

Would you have rather the mob attack the Tribune "just cuz?"

On Pullo:

Nope

I said it was out of character and that the writers didn't seem to know what they want the guy to be or how to evolve him properly.

It was clear he was going back for the girl as soon as he could. This is the same guy that was talking about how hard it was to rape brits. In the first episode he wouldn't listen to his superiors. In the third he was yelling at someone about desertion.

If it seems out of character then it isn't predictable, now is it?

Fact is we don't know his character fully yet, so you can't say its out of character. Fact is you didn't expect him to want to go back and save the girl, not to mention we don't know WHY he did it. Reread what I wrote :thumbsup:

He could be a "rebel without a cause" or he could simply be pretending.

The only thing we know about him is that he is impulsive.

1. He cut her ropes and set her free "lovingly" before opening the cart. He may have only taken her with him because of Caesar, but he did "save" her regardless.

He saved her, then looked in the cart and saw what he had. For all we know he was going to save her, look in the cart. If the cart was worthless he would then drag the girl back to his cave. We DON'T know yet.

Fact is he saved her, and made off with the loot.

All we know about Pullo is that he is impulsive, and that he shows signs that he is a "nice" guy when he is sober. When he is drunk he does things like punch his superior officer in a battle, or have his way with women. When sober he does things like council Lucius on how to be a good man to his wife, or explain to Lucius' wife that Lucius does love her.

Additionally, he shows a deep knowledge of how to please a woman (both sexually and emotionally), which leads me to believe that while he actually DOES care for people - just not when drunk.

2. Twice he asked to help the girl pre going back for her.

Why force a woman to have sex with you, or pay her to when you can make her want to?

Yeah he saved her and gave her something to drink. See my above analysis of Pullo for more. He saved her, possibly because he didn't want Caesar to be suspicious of him leaving with a cart and a girl lying in the field (which make him selfish), or perhaps he took her to make sure she was safe (which makes him a nice guy).

In either case I don't see how it is out of character.

Oh and think about this, as well.  If Lucius' wife tells Lucius that the child is in fact hers, and not their daughters, will Lucius revoke the wedding permission of the boy and his daughter?

All character building :)

just because you label something "character building" does not make it automatically good, interesting, clever, or well done

You want good character building? Rent Master & Commander :thumbsup:

I'm not going to debate your opinion.

I find it all of the above, good, interesting, clever and well done - AT THE MOMENT.

I don't know where its going yet. If it turns out crapptastic I'll be first in line to demand reperations. Right now though it has a lot of potential.

SHADOW, I'm leaving this like this to show you a case of my quotes seemingly failing for no reason. If I break it up into two posts, it will work, but why isn't it working now? ideas?

Your arguement is "I know whats happening as it happens!" Ofcourse you do, what would you rather have happen?

It is clearly not.

Example: Pompeii was saying that Marc Anthony must not be harmed. As soon as Marc Anthony called for all his men to rally around him I knew what would occur. This is because the show showed it's hand too quickly. In the bar fight they had a "slow down" moment where the man who attacks Pullo eventually is watching him. That and Pompeii saying 1,000 times that he must not be harmed. Watch again, the signs are clearly all there.

From that point on, it was just waiting for the event I knew would occur to occur.

and you know what, thats fine, but they do that almost everytime!

It's not like I'm make this up to sound cool. "O, how smart I am, blah blah blah". It's that I thought it was obvious. Just read the Lost thread. I miss alot that others catch.

The show just always lays things out for you. No suspense. No surprises for the most part. The story is blah.

The events themselves aren't important, its what will happen as a RESULT of them that are important.

I don't agree with the logic, but not because of why you think I do.

If events are not important, only the results, you have to remember the results are also events. And by your logic, unimportant. Unless of course, you suggest watching a uninteresting show just to see the series finale.

Ofcourse Glabius was killed, they foreshadowed it in episode 1.

Great, they foreshadow alot, doesn't make something fun to watch automatically. How about some deception in that foreshadowing?

Are you honestly telling me that you thought the daughter would believe the mother's denial of the murder?

Didn't consider it. I was thinking about how dull and predictable the episode was at that point. I wasn't really pulled in enough to care. Hence my point. If that is what constitutes a surprise or a twist in this show....

No it doesn't. Not at all. If there was nothing but conflict building and no resolution of minor conflicts at all, then it would be a horrible show. It has an OVER-conflict and several episode-long conflicts.

It has conflicts. Are they interesting? Not really. As you say, they are uneventful events.

Problem is they aren't. I'll say it again - Glabius' didn't matter. His death did. not how he died, the fact that he died does. The events themselves you mention are set ups for the greater issues.

Would you have rather that Glabius lived? Or that he was killed at random? That he wasn't introduced at all? Snore.

What is boring is basically seeing this:

Mom: "don't visit him or he dies"

girl visits him

mom kills him

Very deep there. Very very deep. Such twists and turns. Who among us could have imagined that senerio? Another issue is I didn't really "feel" that the daughter loved Glabius. As you say, those events are setting up future events, but I don't think they have the audience really caring enough about those two to use that as a catalyst.

If the events are not themselves interesting, I don't care what the payoff is, because I don't care about what remains.

Where did I say that he'd be unharmed? I thought they'd kill him and take the horse.

My mistake, you didn't think he would be just captured, but you do in fact admit you thought that the boy wouldn't just arrive in Caesars camp due to "FORESHADOWING". Hence the ambush, which was supposed to be a surprise I thought, was expected. What fun is that? Snore.

The actors are all great.

:ermm:

The material is great, too. I find the criticisms you're making invalid, because, as I said, the events your critisizing are pretty useless.

I can't find the logic in your opinion.

No event should be useless. Everyones time is too valuable to be watching useless events.

Hence when they tv show is sanitary or soulless, it quickly becomes not worth my time.

I also have trouble with the realism or the show, as I've said. Band of Brothers and Deadwood make me feel like I'm there. Rome is actors in armor.

Okay, so the child is Lucius' wife. So? Would you have rather it have actually been the girls and she goes off to marry the herder-boy, and they all live happily ever after?

ZzzZZzzZzZZZz

No, I have rather not seen it coming at all. It was clearly supposed to be a "surprise" to the viewer to find out that was, in fact, the case. I like being blindsided but clearly knowing what happened when the "big" moment comes.

Would you have rather the mob attack the Tribune "just cuz?"

No, I have rather not seen it coming at all. It was clearly supposed to be a "surprise" to the viewer to find out that was, in fact, the senerio. I like being blindsided but clearly knowing what happened when the "big" moment comes. Or as I like to think of it, the "oooooooooooooooo' moment. The Revan is a sith moment. <-- I think I'll catch heat for that.

If it seems out of character then it isn't predictable, now is it?

Amazing, because of the blatent foreshadowing, it was both.

In a matter of days he went from raping murder to savor of damsels in distress with little significant reason. The actual actions he took tho, were heavily foreshadowed.

Fact is you didn't expect him to want to go back and save the girl, not to mention we don't know WHY he did it. Reread what I wrote

Fact is, I did, while I'm not mad, don't tell me I didn't. I did NOT think thats what he would do at the start of the episode, but in terms of time, I saw it well before the action occured.

It might as well been a silent picture with the words "I'm going to save the girl" pop-up. That obvious a tip off.

He could be a "rebel without a cause" or he could simply be pretending.

I'd would be honestly surprised if he didn't want to help the girl. If it turns out he had other motives, maybe we got something. The writers gave no indication to me that they are that clever or actaully have anything up their sleves. I'd be willing to bet he helped the girl out of the goodness of his heart, which is a unexplained diversion from character, only to have her try and screw him out of the gold.

The only thing we know about him is that he is impulsive.

And likes raping, killing, and saving women from certain death :)

He saved her, then looked in the cart and saw what he had. For all we know he was going to save her, look in the cart. If the cart was worthless he would then drag the girl back to his cave. We DON'T know yet.

His intentions, pre-gold, were clear tho. He wanted Lucius to help him save her. I doubt he thought Lucius would allow him to rape a Roman or someone elses slave. Do you? Don't give the writers more credit than they deserve.

All we know about Pullo is that he is impulsive, and that he shows signs that he is a "nice" guy when he is sober.

along with talking about enjoying rape and going to a whore house. O, he enjoys killing too :-

Additionally, he shows a deep knowledge of how to please a woman (both sexually and emotionally), which leads me to believe that while he actually DOES care for people - just not when drunk.

and he talks in wonderment about why anyone would stay with one women. He speaks of the wine, dine, bang, goodbye philosophy. Soooo thoughtful. Conflict much? Hence my point.

He does show he knows how to get into their pants, but as far as caring about women goes, nope.

He saved her, possibly because he didn't want Caesar to be suspicious of him leaving with a cart and a girl lying in the field (which make him selfish), or perhaps he took her to make sure she was safe (which makes him a nice guy).

He clearly wanted to help her pre-gold. With Lucius there even. He doesn't need to go all the way back to get laid or to make a few bucks from what is in the cart. He could have easily done a bit of looting and raping in a undefended Rome.

In either case I don't see how it is out of character.

Then it is clearly beyond my powers to show you what I see on that point. And vice-versa I suspect.

I'm not going to debate your opinion.

I find it all of the above, good, interesting, clever and well done - AT THE MOMENT.

I don't know where its going yet. If it turns out crapptastic I'll be first in line to demand reperations. Right now though it has a lot of potential.

We arn't debating? ;)

I find all of the above, mostly boring dialogue, stiff, uninspired but well acted - AT THE MOMENT

I don't know where its going yet. If it turns out fantastical I'll be first in line to buy the DVDs. Right now though it has a lot of potential, but most of it unfullfilled

Longest, page-lengthtwise, post I've ever seen. :ermm:

If you don't count Stormfront genetics-"dishkusshoon".

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Longest, page-lengthtwise, post I've ever seen. :ermm:

If you don't count Stormfront genetics-"dishkusshoon".

ya, something happens to my quotes quite often now, I just added this to the top of the post:

SHADOW, I'm leaving this like this to show you a case of my quotes seemingly failing for no reason. If I break it up into two posts, it will work, but why isn't it working now? ideas?

Crap! Totally forgot about your problematic post.

I'll look into it tomorrow or something.

As for this week's episode, I loved it. Furthered the story magnificently while building the intrigue of every plot.

I was disappointed that they didn't focus more on Titus and the female he rescued. However this was made up for by the other scenes, completely.

• 1 year later...

The second and final season of Rome began last sunday on HBO.

I really enjoyed Season 1, probably one the show with the highest production value ever.

Great photography, great actors, great music.

Season 2 picks up what seems like a few minutes or hours after the events that closed Season 1(I won't say ;) )

I found it strange that Octavian grew a few inches in a very short time but thats ok.

Episode 1 was also intense in some parts and I can't help but wonder what will happen to Vorenus from this point on. He seems to have many enemies now.

Loved the last 10 minutes...

Just watched Rome season 1 and this show is the best I have ever seen on television.

I also watched the first episode of the second season, I was very disappointed with the way it ended.

Why?

It looks to me like Vorenus and Pullo are going to clean up the place. As soldiers without a war, they have nothing else to do.

Just watched Rome season 1 and this show is the best I have ever seen on television.

I also watched the first episode of the second season, I was very disappointed with the way it ended.

Why?

It looks to me like Vorenus and Pullo are going to clean up the place. As soldiers without a war, they have nothing else to do.

I was disappointed that Virinus killed the guy outright... After Pullos actions in the first season I expected to see at the very least some thumb cutting.

I was disappointed that Virinus killed the guy outright... After Pullos actions in the first season I expected to see at the very least some thumb cutting.

My first thought after "the deed" was

what if the guy was lying and his family is fine. Well, perhaps a bit raped but still living?

. Still, it was nice to see Vorenus in a less than virtuous state of mind.