"Sex in games"

Magena

I agree that video games seem to be the fixation for this generation ("X", or is it the Baby-boomers in control of the media "talkback" and "opinion polls") who are now hypocritically in total-puritanical mode.

Most hypocryte is that most of them are the '60/70 "Free Love" Hippies.

Oh, they could do/have it, but oh my, if their children can... :ermm:

That sex sells is one of the biggest myths of our society, it is completely false. As Fishboot says, noone will buy a game just because it has voluptuous women on the cover or in it. It is of course true of all types of products and advertising. I have to admit I look a little longer at an ad that has a gorgeous woman on it but it doesnt in the least make me want to purchase the product. In fact, Ive learnt to automaticly ignore advertising. Its just background noise.

And of course we have exhibit A- the sales figures of such excellent movies as "Barb Wire" or those other quality films Ive since long ereased from my memory :D

I think the main advantage for using sexually suggestive imagery in advertising, which is undeniable, is that it will get the viewers' attention. That is a big plus, when one is selling.

Even if the audeince immedaitely turns off, the fact that they have your attention is the beginning of building a memory. Next time you are shopping, you will automatically reach for objects that are familiar. Most advertising (for prodcuts in a mature marketplace) are simply to get their product in the top 3 brands that people think of, when asked about the product. (Obviously to improve the ranking, but generally speaking, people don't remember more than about three brands. Try it: list as many detergents, or tv companies, or brands of shoes. And you are trying, think of when you just go shopping; you aren't consciously trying to remember brands, you are just trying to get the shop done.)

Sure, Barbed Wire was a travesty, but you still remember the name of it, as opposed to some other film with no redeeming features and no lewd posturing.

Also remember that, for some reason, advertising seems to be populated by infantile men with the mental ages just post-puberty, where fart jokes are funny. (Check out any child psychology development guide to see how young the human brain is when it develops the various senses of humour, it is very telling.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Sex sells, but good games sell better.

In terms of sex within games... Eh, I'd say that it can help sales somewhat. Certainly, hot CG girls can be a reasonable enticement, but they alone will not carry a game, as examples have shown. It's kind of like in films (though films are a more visual medium than games, I maintain), I suppose: having hot actresses grants higher attendance, but the greatest films, whether it be of critical acclaim or box-office gross, do not depend on sex appeal.

There are doors

More humorous than anything else, but I recently read a report on some scientific site (cant remember exactly which one) that said seeing a sexually suggestive image does create an almost nonexistent moment of blindness and for that reason, some governments were trying to ban them from road signs so as to prevent auto accidents.

So does that mean that the "curvy road ahead" signs are going to be banned? - ok, so in our family we refer to those as "snakes ahead" but.... it really does depend on how many squiggles there are.

I don't think the imagery is really a separate selling point. It's just another one of the exaggerations video games have for everything - more dangerous, more violent, more dramatic, and hyper-sexualized. For some reason the censors only get worked up when you get to the end of that list, though.

That sex sells is one of the biggest myths of our society, it is completely false. As Fishboot says, noone will buy a game just because it has voluptuous women on the cover or in it. It is of course true of all types of products and advertising. I have to admit I look a little longer at an ad that has a gorgeous woman on it but it doesnt in the least make me want to purchase the product. In fact, Ive learnt to automaticly ignore advertising. Its just background noise.

And of course we have exhibit A- the sales figures of such excellent movies as "Barb Wire" or those other quality films Ive since long ereased from my memory :D

DoA Xtreme Beach Volley anyone? :)"

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Hmm. Sex does indeed sell. At least, that's the opinions of marketing departments. I don't watch TV but I assume the commercials are as blatant as billboards and magazine adds I see.

As for sex in games, don't see the point really. If a romance suits the story line, there can be innuendo but I don't need to see pixels poking each other. Maybe I'm just getting conservative in my old age but I'm of the belief that "less is more".

December 2012 - Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online - http://www.winterwind-productions.com

Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love

I think you're underestimating the influence of advertising.

In any case, why did you see Barb Wire? Was it because you heard it was an excellent story or something?

at least nobody brought up Deisel ads...

(oopsie :rolleyes: )

Anyway, considering that sex permeated all of our other forms of media, it's interesting to note how people are horrified that it's starting to enter into Video Games. I mean they don't exactly card you to buy Dance Till Tommarow (Manga)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

In any case, why did you see Barb Wire?  Was it because you heard it was an excellent story or something?

After watching the opening for BarbWire, I really wanted to watch Flash Dance again, but I didn't watch much more than her limping off the stage since she was missing a shoe.

Sex has been said to sell in advertizing for years. Why do you think the Bikini teams sell beer?

Sex in games isn't new. It was definately in pixelated games since 1990, but for some reason it is now seen as a terrible thing.

Did anyone else see this on G4? I hadn't realized what the history was of sex in games... or for that matter how much sex really has been in games.

I don't watch G4 the hosts gave me a tumor.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf