Diablo III on the rocks

Agreed. Starcraft 2 for t3h w1n!!?! :shifty:

Played Diablo1/2 until I got cramps in my arm and hand. A veritable mouse stress-test.

Twelve hour marathons or more at a time. Heh... wasted youth.

If they can recapture some of the first Diablo's mood and atmosphere. Mysterious and sinister evil...

Then I say:

Bring it on Blizzard!

Diablo 1 and 2 were the masters of glorious click-and-kill gamplay. :wub: The story wasn't half-bad, either. While I'm always up for Diablo III, I'll have to agree with a few other members and say that what I want most is a Starcraft 2. If you talk about cliffhangar endings in games, the one in Starcraft: Brood War was a big one. At the rate Starcraft: Ghost is being developed, we have a good wait before we see Starcraft: 2. :(

Feargus has come on these forums to defend Diablo being an RPG.

Sadly, while I don't care for click-fests, I'd agree with him.  It has stat-based gameplay and a narrative structure.

Well, we must define RPG according to different criteria. To me, stat based gameplay has no bearing on whether a game is an RPG, and I would not judge the "narrative structure" of the game to be suffiently developed to warrant it having the RPG label. Zelda isn't usually classed as an RPG, yet it has a similar structure. Indeed, comparing A Link to the Past to Diablo I, Zelda's structure is probably even more narrative. I would class Diablo as an adventure game like Zelda, rather than an RPG.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I hate Diablo, if it hadnt come, we wouldnt have this sea of insanely bad Hack n Slash, pseudo-RPG's that the CRPG market consists of to 90% today

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Zelda doesn't have stat-based gameplay, and Nintendo has always classified Zelda as an adventure game.

Sure it does. You have hp in the form of hearts. Not only that, but behind the scenes you have different swords and armors. Just because numbers are not visible doesnt mean that calculations dont come into play.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

I don't see how you can say Diablo wasn't an RPG. You played a character, you leveled up, gained experience, got new abilities and skills, enhanced your character's stats, and used a whole sh1tload of weapons, armor, and items. It was stat and level based, just as all RPG's are.

And the difference between Diablo and the rest of those pseudo-hack n slash games is that Diablo (for many people, at least) was actually good. One of the things I liked most about Diablo II was that the different classes were so radically different, esp. in skills/spells. :thumbsup:

CRPGs = Roleplaying games on the computer?

Seriously. The definition of a CRPG is about as subjective as they come. There are those that claiming the death of the CRPG, when the "birth" of the CRPG was games like the Gold Box games. Which ironically, where hack and slash games.

But hey, if you can't answer the question no need to get snarky.

Fine, if you are too simple that everything has to be explained to you then I shall.

A Computer Role Playing Game is a game that is balanced in story, combat, and rules system that allows a person to take an interactive role within the scope of the game in which the player controls a character and whose actions are determined by the character's ability and not the player's.

A Computer Role Playing Game is a game that is balanced in story, combat, and rules system that allows a person to take an interactive role within the scope of the game in which the player controls a character and whose actions are determined by the character's ability and not the player's.

The bolded part is rather subjective. Everyone's opinion of what that "balance" is will probably differ.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)