D&D: Heroes - thoughts?

Unicorn

I've been looking at D&D: Heroes as a possible buy, mainly for its multi-player ability. I wanted to see if anyone has played it, and what your thoughts are.

If this has already been discussed to death, apologies! Thanks in advance for any info.

Yeah, we've been playing DA2 A LOT! We love the game, and are still finding things we've missed when we've been tearing through the areas.

Any particular bugs/complaints? And yeah, I'll check in to the other games, too.

Thanks!

I hated the first BGDA so I will never play BGDA 2. BGDA was the biggest waste of money ever. Frankly the only DnD game on the console that was worth the money was Dungeons and Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun. Now, that game was indeed fun. These latest batch of DnD console games seem to be on the worthless side.

Buy Jade Empire instead.

I hated the first BGDA so I will never play BGDA 2.  BGDA was the biggest waste of money ever.  Frankly the only DnD game on the console that was worth the money was Dungeons and Dragons:  Warriors of the Eternal Sun.  Now, that game was indeed fun.  These latest batch of DnD console games seem to be on the worthless side.

Buy Jade Empire instead.

But JE isn't multi-player, is it? That's what's driving me on this - being able to game with my sweetie. If I'm going it alone, I'll go with PC games. Until we get a second computer and set up a LAN, the only way we can game together is a multi-player game on the Xbox. And I'm finding good, multiplayer RPGs very difficult to find for the Xbox!

I have to say that I thought Dungeons and Dragons Heroes got a bum rap. If it's cheap, I say buy it. I don't think it compares unfavorably with BG:DA1. BG:DA2 is better, but it also came out later. If you do pick it up, let us know what you think.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I have to say that I thought Dungeons and Dragons Heroes got a bum rap.  If it's cheap, I say buy it.  I don't think it compares unfavorably with BG:DA1.  BG:DA2 is better, but it also came out later.  If you do pick it up, let us know what you think.

Well, I'm definitely going bargain bin diving for it. :p

I'll have to check out the Hunter and X-men games mentioned above, but I think I'll be playing Heroes by this weekend, if I can find it in my small mid-west USA town! If not, it may have to wait on a trip to the big city! :cool:

Frankly the only DnD game on the console that was worth the money was Dungeons and Dragons:  Warriors of the Eternal Sun.  Now, that game was indeed fun.  These latest batch of DnD console games seem to be on the worthless side.

I must interject...

The best D&D game ever made on the console was "Order of the Griffon" on the TG16.

image002.gifLancer

Exactly...nobody's heard of the system unfortunately so nobody would have ever played the game. :">

The TG16 is the ill-fated "Turbo-Grafx 16."

Order of the Griffon came out the same year as Warriors of the Eternal Sun and was made by the same people (SSI). It was actually similar to WotES in gameplay (same turn-based combat, 3D FP dungeons), except vastly improved. It was also more immersive, had very good music, and an interesting horror storyline to boot. I talk about it endlessly... it is my favorite console RPG of all time. :p

If only Order of the Griffon would have come out on a well-known system like the Genesis.. *sigh*

image002.gifLancer

I hated the first BGDA so I will never play BGDA 2.  BGDA was the biggest waste of money ever.  Frankly the only DnD game on the console that was worth the money was Dungeons and Dragons:  Warriors of the Eternal Sun.  Now, that game was indeed fun.  These latest batch of DnD console games seem to be on the worthless side.

Buy Jade Empire instead.

It is somewhat pleasing to see that there are some games that you do enjoy. (It is also somewhat disconcerting, as what is the world coming to if you make happy positive statements? :rolleyes:)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hey, there are a lot of games I enjoy.

Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Ultima 4 and 7, Jade Empire, Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 (though the ending sucked in 2), Warriors of the Eternal Sun, The Gold Box games, the Phantasie series, Deathlord, Doom 3, Crimson Skies, Unreal Tournement, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, The Bard's Tale series, Dragon Wars, Morrowind (with expansions), Hordes of the Underdark, Shadows of Undretide (except for that one room with the skeletons), and so forth.

I don't hate all games. I am just not a fawning fanboy. When something sucks I tell the developers that it sucked. The fanboys give devs all the praise they need.

Well, we found Heroes at a video store and rented it last night. Only had time to play for a couple of hours, but so far, I have to say it's not a bad game.

One thing that I don't like about it is resurrecting after dying. You have to have a resurrection amulet to bring your character back - no amulet, no resurrection (I think - may be a way to do it I haven't found yet, since the game didn't come with a manual). I guess I got spoiled by DA2, where if one character dies, you just have to go back to the last save point to bring them back. I'll have to be a little more careful in battles!

Another thing DA2 spoiled me for was being able to designate the X,A,Y,B buttons. You can only use X and Y for spells AND special attack feats. That sucks! And the B button is for quick items - can't set it for spells/feats at all.

One thing I do like about the game is the ability to change your view - you can either go with overview, or zoom in to an almost first person view. I love being able to watch my wizard cast her spells from first person!

I'll post more after playing longer. We also rented a copy of Bards Tale for the Xbox, and it SAYS you can play up to 2 players. I always thought it was single player only, so we may have to check that out tonight.