NHL is back

Cantousent

Can you name players who won more cups than Sundin in the last 5-6 years?

I sure can.

Scoring a game winning goal in the 33rd game of the regualr season doens't make you the 'best clutch player' (or 2nd accoridng to you).

I can name TONS of players - some thata re rertired and others who are still playin that are more of a clutch player than Sundin.

btw, That doens't mean I think sundin sucks. He's a greta player; but he's not even in the top ten maybe not even in the top 20 of clutch players still playing in the NHL.

And, no matter how many GWGs you cna list he has; it doens't change this fact.

Espicially, getting a GWG in a 7-3 game prove snothing. LOL

P.S. I didn't feel the need to research; but I seriosuly doubt he's the only player to do well in the GWG category.

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So name at least ONE player that's a better clutch player than Sundin? You can name TONS. What the hell does that mean? A metric ton is 1000 kg. Tons is plural. Are you saying you can name thousands of better clutch players than Sundin? Good luck. Why don't you start by naming one active player that you consider as a better clutch player than Sundin? And please provide something to back up your opinion this time, as your bs is not good enough on these boards.

And are you saying the only players who can be called clutch players are the ones with at least one cup to their name? That lessens the list of availible players a lot.

I can't list a single GWG Sundin has. I haven't checked this stat myself, but I do watch (or listen to, this year.. grr) a lot of Leafs games and I have seen him play. I know for a fact that he must be among the top clutch players in the league, he's the best player under pressure that I've ever seen (except Claude Lemieux). His nickname "Sudden" doesn't all stem from his last name.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I see Sergei Gonchar has scored his first goal of the season tonight. So far he's managed to double his season stats!! And Atlanta remembered how to find the back of the net tonight! Twice!

Lets make that three as the game is now tied 3-3.

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Steve Yzerman

Jaromir Jagr

Mario Lemieux

Martin Brodeur

Joe Sakic

Game over.

That's five.

Sundin is a great player; but he's nowhere in their league when it comes to becoming clutch.

What do each of these 5 have in common? Leading, and/or being a major contributor on dominating teams.

I have to agree that Sundin isn't the best clutch player in the league. He's awesome, and he's helped the Leafs win when they didn't have a chance, but he's never led them to a cup. Clutch is coming through in the big games. Until he leads the Leafs to a Stanley Cup, he'll never be at the top.

Steve Yzerman

Jaromir Jagr

Mario Lemieux

Martin Brodeur

Joe Sakic

Game over.

That's five.

Sundin is a great player; but he's nowhere in their league when it comes to becoming clutch.

What do each of these 5 have in common? Leading, and/or being a major contributor on dominating teams.

Yzerman was a great player once. He's a non-factor now. Detroit is a great team though.

Jaromir Jagr.. Yeah, he's won lots of cups since leaving Pittburgh. Let's see if his clutch play can bring a cup to New York. And since when are the Rangers a dominating team..?

Mario Lemieux.. Another player who lives off his name. He's not really a clutch player anymore. And again, since when are the Penguins a dominating team?

Martin Brodeur is a great clutch player. I'd put him on the list.

Joe Sakic is also a great player, but we'll see how he does without Forsberg, Roy, Foote and a whole bunch of other stars. Not sure the Avalanche will be dominating anything this year.

The reason I think Sundin is the better clutch player than these names mentioned (which aren't the best clutch players in the league right now, except for Brodeur and maybe Jagr) is that he's almost never been surrounded by talent, yet he keeps taking them to the playoffs and winning them games when they shouldn't. The fact that he hasn't won a cup has nothing to do with his clutch abilities, it has to do with the team. It is possible to be a good player on a bad team. Why else doesn't the best clutch player in the game (whoever YOU think deserves the title) win the cup every year? It's not that easy.

This year, though.. Leafs all the way! :-)

I just really think in order to be considered a clutch player, you have to go all the way at least once in your career, and be a key player in that success. Yzerman took a decent team to the cup, but he scored critical goals when they were needed. Lemieux, of course, was a catalyst for a mediocre team. I wouldn't call Jagre clutch, because once Lemieux retired, he never pushed Pittsburgh to the top.

I agree that Sundin is the better player right now than any on the list, except maybe Broduer, but I consider clutch a term given to a player after a long career of netting big goals, and at least one run to the Cup.

Edited by Hurlshot

I have no response to that. At all. :huh:

But with the clutch player issue, Mats Sundin was in a three way tie for first with 10 GWGs in 03/04. The year before that had eight. Just because they haven't made it to the finals doesn't mean he's not a great clutch player.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

"Just because they haven't made it to the finals doesn't mean he's not a great clutch player."

I never said he wasn'ta clutch player. I just said he wasn't the best clutch player.

And, once again, GWG by themselevs mean nothing. Afterall, a GWG in an 8-3 win means crap.

And edmonton has sent their scapegoat of the month Ty Conklin down to the minors today and recalled Mike Morrison. Will this change be enough to light a spark under the Oilers collective asses? Tune in tomorrow to find out.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Oooo, that's news to me.

I figured they'd do something though.

This next game is big, and I'd say probably the defining moment for the team.

If they bounce back after things finally all went to crap and play a convincing game and win on Tuesday, I'm still optimistic that things will turn out pretty good. Otherwise, it could be a long season.

Hmm.. there are like 70+ games left to play. They still have time to fix things even if the next game goes bad.

I'm worried about the Leafs too. They were outskated, outmuscled and outplayed in the last game against the Flyers. Something has to change if they're going to keep winning games, even if they did have a four game winning streak going before the last game.

And where the hell do they fit in Sundin? I am guessing he'll take Lindros' place in the first line, but where does Lindros go then? Second line, bumping down Allison to third? Or do they put their best goal scorer on the third line, with the grinders? And how about "the kid" line, the line that has so far been the best line of the Leafs (Steen, Stajan, Wellwood), where do they fit? It's like a puzzle with a lot of golden pieces that just doesn't seem to fit together.

I'm in a deep depression over the Sharks...but it's still early. At least Marleau looks good, but Nabakov looked terrible before he got injured. Since when did the Sharks have the worst defense in the league?

Hey, we are losing to the lame music thread guys, pick it up on the posting. Only 41 pages :wub:

Hey, we are losing to the lame music thread guys, pick it up on the posting.  Only 41 pages  :wub:

Haha, I thought I was the only one going, "crap, they posted 12 new messages and are ahead of us AGAIN!".. :wub:)

Still, we are only like 4-5 guys who post here regularly.

Actually I like that this is one of the most on topic threads in way off topic. And as much as we all like to disagree with Volo he usually has a good point to add, even if the way he presents makes you want to choke.

And I've been watching the last period of the Leafs/Bruins game. Toronto just tied it up a minute ago. Its been a nice hard fought contest. And highly entertaining to boot. And as a bonus I"ve got Thornton and Murray on one of my hockey pool teams.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I like the fact that Bryan McCabe (who was deemed too slow for the new NHL prior to the season) is now sharing the lead in scoring, together with the reinvigorated Jagr! Amazing stuff.

I still haven't decided if I like the shootouts, though.

And Lindros scores the winnah in the shootout, you must be happy Mkreku.

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Hehe, never underestimate an eye injury. Tough to play when you cannot see. It's why people figured Berard was done.

I still can't believe how many people had written off Belfour at the beginning of the season.

49 saves, including 24 in a single period. Give him the game ball for that one.

Edited by alanschu