Romances in RPGs

alanschu

Hmmm, in my experiences, the only people that have said the scene on Kashyyyk looked "bad" was AFTER they had learned that it was CG. Until then, no one said I word about how bad it looked.

I think people are anti-CGI simply for the sake of being anti-CGI. The scenes on Kashyyyk were remarkable IMO. I was surprised when I heard that all scenes on Kashyyyk simply did not exist. They were all CG.

Well, I think there can be too much CGI. The best CGI, imo, is when the actual images are improved; like adding the glow to a lightsabre, for example, or editing out an arm for an amputee, etc.

A big CGI scene needs to be better than Manga for it to impress me and not look dumb. (Otherwise, I'll just watch some Manga instead.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Anime you mean? :ermm:

Anyway; the best cgi I have seen was in the War of the Worlds-remake, not because it was shiny and explosive, but because everything looked so real. I liked the fact that the art direction had understood light and shadow when they desinegned such scenes as, the river "pickings" and Dakota Fawning tentacle rape.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Ew. That's just nasty. Speaking of which I had forgotten about the tree-based violation in Evil Dead.

There's nothing about voice talent that can't improved with contents of my ideal kitchen.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've always enjoyed eating squid and octopus. Now I know why.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I will agree that to this point romances in RPGs (at least the ones I've played) are shallow at best, however there are still a few that stick out in my mind:

FF7: Aeris ... The only part that sucked was at the end of the game ... the end FMV and what happens to Aeris.

FF9: There are more than one romance option here, though I've only investigated that with Garnet. The end movie sequence, with the Melodies of Life background music is a good experience.

This next one is a snes game, and mostly sticks out in my mind due to how different the game/gameplay was from the norm ... that's Harvest Moon, in which one of the goals is to befriend and eventually marry one of the female town residents.

Just a small point: Different NPCs should find different character types attractive. I have noticed this about women. And presumably the same applies to men.

-Elwood Blues

Am I the only one that didn't like the Aeris romance?

You're not alone.

In fact, I didn't even like Aeris all that much, but apparently there are people out there that shed tears when Sephiroth got her.

Most people who did so were impressionable little sheep who would cry a river at the thought of a paper cut. Yes, I am speaking of experience. I talked to gobs of fans of the game. Teary-eyed dolts, all of them. Nevermind telling them how many characters in the series died before Aeris, in equally heroic manners. Aeris is their holy gospel or something.

Then again it depends on what kind of people we're talking. Me, I would have cried at the slaughter shown at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan because just imagining the horror of humanity at its worst makes me cave in, but I was accompanied at the time so it wasn't in my best interest to do it.

Hey, if it makes you feel any better the opening scene (and several other scenes) in Saving Private Ryan were emotional for me, as I found them to be the most horrifying yet heroic display I had ever seen. There's no way I could see myself being able to find the courage to run up the beach. I have mad respect for anyone that had to endure D-Day, especially Omaha. Many other scenes like the Medic and the Waffen SS guy fighting Pvt. Melish also had me getting all choked up.

If you haven't already, see if you can get a hold of HBO's Band of Brothers. It's also an emotional rollercoaster of following the troopers of Easy Company of the 101st Airborne Division. Easily one of the most enjoyable miniseries I had ever seen. It's cool listening to surviving members of Easy Company talk about their experience in Normandy/Europe.

Hey, if it makes you feel any better the opening scene (and several other scenes) in Saving Private Ryan were emotional for me, as I found them to be the most horrifying yet heroic display I had ever seen.  There's no way I could see myself being able to find the courage to run up the beach.  I have mad respect for anyone that had to endure D-Day, especially Omaha.  Many other scenes like the Medic and the Waffen SS guy fighting Pvt. Melish also had me getting all choked up.

Sure you could, it would just take you to be a member of a family of men, who are all about to risk their lives for you, and you would want them to be behind you ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I suppose I could endure it had I gone through their training. Fair enough.

On a side note, I think the fact that I get all choked up over devastating scenes like that is because of all the time I spend on murder simulators.

After all, they've desensitized me into a monster that cringes and feels empathy for the characters in realistic depicitons of war.

I suppose I could endure it had I gone through their training.  Fair enough.

On a side note, I think the fact that I get all choked up over devastating scenes like that is because of all the time I spend on murder simulators.

After all, they've desensitized me into a monster that cringes and feels empathy for the characters in realistic depicitons of war.

Ah, that's what you're doing wrong! You're playing third person, and your perpective's all askew!

You need to play first person.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip, alanschu.

About murder simulations?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

All credit to you for feeling that way, Alanschu. You should look into other battles as well, though. D-Day Normandy went better than the planners expected... :p

-Elwood Blues

Omaha beach is seen as a victory. I see it as a needless loss of life, as a much smaller covert operation of Marines probably could have secured the same beach as is their role. The Army insisted on taking the beach by throwing copius amounts of people and throwing them infront of bullets.

And I played to the third disc of FFVIII and I never even saw the beginning of a love story. Supposedly the whole game was one big love story. Where was it?

Omaha beach is seen as a victory.  I see it as a needless loss of life, as a much smaller covert operation of Marines probably could have secured the same beach as is their role.  The Army insisted on taking the beach by throwing copius amounts of people and throwing them infront of bullets.

And I played to the third disc of FFVIII and I never even saw the beginning of a love story.  Supposedly the whole game was one big love story.  Where was it?

...Whatever

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy