Romances in RPGs

alanschu

:*

"Go speak to a wall"

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Omaha beach is seen as a victory.  I see it as a needless loss of life, as a much smaller covert operation of Marines probably could have secured the same beach as is their role.  The Army insisted on taking the beach by throwing copius amounts of people and throwing them infront of bullets. ...

Of course it was a victory, but the loss of life on that beach was more than all the others put together (iirc) ... just an unavoidable logistics SNAFU, the likes of which happen whenever a force the size of an army does anything, especially try to kill anther force the size of an army, that's dug into fortifications up a beach ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Not amphibious assaults ... I saw a film about it a few months ago, some WW2 marine inception thinggie ... the first time the Us tried it they failed and the death toll was huge, then they tried again (under some shyte-hot commander) and they blitzed some Pacific landing zone ... might have been Midway, certainly around there somewhere ... (time and space)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

From romances to marines. Only on Obs fora. :rolleyes:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Not amphibious assaults ... I saw a film about it a few months ago, some WW2 marine inception thinggie ... the first time the Us tried it they failed and the death toll was huge, then they tried again (under some shyte-hot commander) and they blitzed some Pacific landing zone ... might have been Midway, certainly around there somewhere ... (time and space)

Midway? Ummm Midway was a defensive action for the US. I think your talking about Guadlcanal (that's not spelled right; why do I even try?)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I said it was around that space and time; I have watched Midway: The Motion Picture several times this year (limited tv schedules in Britain), so I am very familiar with the nature of that battle.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

they don't show that here... how odd, an american film about the turning point of WWII in the pacific and they don't show it in america anymore

They just did all the V-E and V-P 60th anniversary celebrations (and they combined the two victories into one celebration in the middle :(), so that may explain why it was on so often.

One bonus was I got to see the entire (well, aprt from one or two episodes) of the World At War for WW1. What a mad event that was.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah! An'... an'... soldiers do a lot of the hoochie coochie.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think that some games just shouldn't have a romance in them, Max Payne 2 for example, yes it completly rips out the plot but I still think if they rework it some it's a good game (too bad it floped tho)

There are definately games where the introduction of romance really kills the game instead of adding to it... just as there are movies and books that get killed when romance was introduce, or for that matter could have been saved by a good romance.

There are definately games where the introduction of romance really kills the game instead of adding to it... just as there are movies and books that get killed when romance was introduce, or for that matter could have been saved by a good romance.

Why? How is that so?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I think that some games just shouldn't have a romance in them, Max Payne 2 for example, yes it completly rips out the plot but I still think if they rework it some it's a good game (too bad it floped tho)

Are you saying that Max Payne 2 would have been better without the romantic plotline? And that it flopped? Because I'm not sure I agree with either statment.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

One of the strenghts for the romances in K1 was that they actually added to the impact of the plot, I think. With the male Revan/Bastila romance, it added to the drama of the game by introducing these such as internal conflict within the characters. Suddenly, Bastila begins to question herself and the Jedi code, something she hadn't done before, all because of her brooding love for Revan.

And then they heighten it further by having Bastila kidnapped and stolen from the one she loves by the Sith. She is twisted into their tool, and ends up betraying the Jedi and Revan. Suddenly, the PC is faced with the possiblity of having to kill the woman he loves (if he was LS). But in the end, of course, you end up fighting her and eventually redeeming her. For me, that was one of my favorite moments of the game, perhaps even more than defeating Malak. For me, it added to the feeling and drama of the whole storyline. :ermm:

And that is one reason that so many people were disappointed with the K2 romances (if you can call them that). They were very shallow and not near the level of K1's. I'm not even sure if you can say that they would have added much to the plot anyway as much as K1's did.

I'd guess that's just personal opinion. I can see the merits of it, but I thought Bastilla turning into Darth Molitor was a bit lame.

I think my main gripe was how AWFUL the presentation of the events leading to the abduction was done.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I thought Bastila never had a Darth name? that was a debate that turned into a spam fest a while ago...

But I did like the romances in FF7. Especially Dating Barret if you were horrible to Tifa and Aeris.

no... It was a date (barret refers to it in those terms). If you got barret to take you out you knew you screwed up with the girls somwhere along the line. But I still don't understand why Cloud couldn't Phoenix down Aeris...

I know how you got to hang out with Barrett at the Golden Saucer, no need to tell me.

I found the dialogue to be much less romantic. Which I would expect, given societies ways on overreacting anything, they would have had a field day if there was any homosexuality in FF7.