Shocking News! Daikatana dude leaves Midway!

Llyranor

Gromnir not wanna be standing next to josh during a thunderstorm... given his crazy bad luck. iwd2 were doomed from start. jefferson, at opposite end o' the spectrum, seemed like the game that were finally putting together all those lessons learned by black isle folks over the years... were finally gonna be a crpg done right... so 'course it too had to die. gauntlet? am not privy to the details of its problems, but no doubt it is an.... interesting tell.

in any event, we wishes josh "nuke" sawyer luck... good luck for a change.

HA! Good Fun!

p.s. did josh and fergie have a "moment" when they agreed to resume working relationships? bet there weren

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am not privy to the details of its problems, but no doubt it is an.... interesting tell.

IIRC, Interplay choose to spend what money it had to keep some other rights (BG:DA, I think) instead of keeping the rights to the half finished game BIS was working on. Or something along those lines.

O, you forgot VB in your bad luck story :rolleyes:

josh weren't a lead on vb... otherwise we coulda' added torn to the list too... and what does interplay have to do with gauntlet problems?

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

chris a were lead... then sean k. maybe some few other folks were lead too at any given moment.

if we recall right, josh were a ruelz monkey for vb... technical designer or some such.

HA! Good Fun!

chris a were lead... then sean k.  maybe some few other folks were lead too at any given moment.

if we recall right, josh were a ruelz monkey for vb... technical designer or some such.

Well, MCA was the lead for a short time, yes. Then I think it was Josh for the majority of the projects life and when he left it was SKR. I very well could be wrong, it was awhile ago now. But I'm sure JE can fill us in when he reads some of this, I'z gotz to goes, laterz.

chris a were lead... then sean k.  maybe some few other folks were lead too at any given moment.

Well, MCA was the lead for a short time, yes. Then I think it was Josh for the majority of the projects life and when he left it was SKR. I very well could be wrong, it was awhile ago now. But I'm sure JE can fill us in when he reads some of this, I'z gotz to goes, laterz.

timeline you got right, but we think that it is misleading. chris a were lead... then it got dumped in josh's lap when chris a quit. so yeah, josh were lead for a short time. when josh left black isle he were only doing technical design. passed on torch before he left.

HA! Good Fun!

p.s. found a puuk post

"JE leaving was a big blow for all of us on the project, no way around it. However, the stuff he was working on, the technical side of the project (rules, interfaces, etc.), is nearly complete (I think there are only two more interfaces that need to be done, and they are simple ones). Josh made sure that part, the part he was responsible for, was done by the time he left, and I think that is a huge example of his integrity and his passion for doing a great job.

"The story and areas for VB have been finished for a few months now, so his input has been received and applied. We are currently building maps and writing dialogues. Sean Reynolds has been creative lead almost since MCA left and has been doing a very fine job of making sure we knows hwo ta write good.

"On a personal note, I have really enjoyed working with Josh, and have been very impressed watching him grow into a great lead designer. He is a person who learns from his triumphs and mistakes and grows from those lessons - and in this industry, that's almost impossible to find. He knows when to step in and when to step back, and knows how to empower his employees. He brings a lot to BIS and will be sorely missed. I wish him good luck in his future venture (no, it's not Obsidian) and I know he will develop great things when he gets there.

"And VB keeps on chugging along..."

HA! Good Fun!

already noted that k3 got timeline right... but is misleading.

can probably find more posts if you wish... ones where josh says that he were pretty much just doing technical design when he were announcing leaving only a few months after chris a already left. only problem is the bis boards is gone.

ask josh if you wish... that will clear it up... and maybe Gromnir is confused.

HA! Good Fun!

If I remember it correctly, JE was lead designer in charge of gameplay/r00lz/mechanics and Avellone was lead designer in charge of story. Double lead designers. Then SKR cam along and took over for Avellone, who wasn't working on it really that long when the Mass Exodus occurred.

I also remember him mentioning VB will have lots of returning frost darts....

That's so US. Let's have a lead designer for every design aspect. Just like Vice Presidents for every part of the company.

I'm Vice-President in charge of Door Opening and Greeting.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If I remember it correctly, JE was lead designer in charge of gameplay/r00lz/mechanics and Avellone was lead designer in charge of story.  Double lead designers.  Then SKR cam along and took over for Avellone, who wasn't working on it really that long when the Mass Exodus occurred.

I also remember him mentioning VB will have lots of returning frost darts....

dunno... maybe.

it were amusing to see how news o' josh leaving seemed to be the harbinger of bis doom for most people... inspite of fact that josh and others kept saying how josh's work on vb would be done before he left in november, and recognizing how limited josh's current role were on vb... a voluntary arrangement as josh not wanted to be lead post jefferson. fallout 3 were chris a's baby for years, and when he left there were very little news of it at major news sites. josh leaves bis and every on-line game magazine made it front page news.

weird.

HA! Good Fun!

If I recall correctly, Sawyer didn't have nearly as much to do with VB until after Jefferson got the ax. I don't know either, but I'm wondering why Sawyer didn't just try to sign on at Obsidian in the first place. I suspect he did. My gut instinct is that he wanted to be part of the "Obsidian Entertainment experience" from before he left Interplay, but could not for some reason. He went to work at Midway, trying his hand at an action title. Finally, he managed to prevail upon someone at Obsidian or someone at Obsidian made an offer. Of course, this is all rampant speculation. Who the hell knows the whole truth.

The bottom line is that Sawyer doesn't have horrible ideas about game design, and so it isn't necessarily a bad thing that he's at Obsidian. ...as long as he leaves his damned luck behind him at Midway.

He's had Obsidian VIP or some such as his title for a long time. Now he's just an Obsidz "employee." I wish him the best, but he's simply going to have to bear speculation and scrutiny for the time being. After all, he's a somewhat controversial fellow in these parts and the board must have its pound of flesh.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I always get confused....which one specifically was Jefferson and which was Van Buren.

I think Van Buren was Fallout 3, but I'm not 100% sure.

Jefferson was the D&D game

Van Buren was Fallout 3

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

If I recall correctly, Sawyer didn't have nearly as much to do with VB until after Jefferson got the ax.  I don't know either, but I'm wondering why Sawyer didn't just try to sign on at Obsidian in the first place.  I suspect he did.  My gut instinct is that he wanted to be part of the "Obsidian Entertainment experience" from before he left Interplay, but could not for some reason.  He went to work at Midway, trying his hand at an action title.  Finally, he managed to prevail upon someone at Obsidian or someone at Obsidian made an offer.  Of course, this is all rampant speculation.  Who the hell knows the whole truth.

The bottom line is that Sawyer doesn't have horrible ideas about game design, and so it isn't necessarily a bad thing that he's at Obsidian.  ...as long as he leaves his damned luck behind him at Midway.

He's had Obsidian VIP or some such as his title for a long time.  Now he's just an Obsidz "employee."  I wish him the best, but he's simply going to have to bear speculation and scrutiny for the time being.  After all, he's a somewhat controversial fellow in these parts and the board must have its pound of flesh.

You know it just occured to me how "annoyed" I would be if people were discussing my life on a message board.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]