NHL is back

Titosros

I'm glad they finally resolved their problems. But at the same time I'm sad because the players decided to waste a full year of hockey (my favourite sport) on a lost cause. I mean, even if the owners were cooking their books, there are other means to see if the league was in a financial sane situation. It wasn't, and this new CBA proves it (no matter how much crap Volourn keeps spewing).

The TV deal the NHL had was worth 2% of the NFL (or was it NBA?) TV deal, but the NHL players made approximately the same amount of money as the NFL players. And yet they demanded more.. Their greed knew no limits and I'm actually glad the NHL managed to break NHLPA this time. That's kind of weird, coming from someone like me who's almost a communist in mind and strongly believe in unions. I just hope they can work together on a more equal ground for the next 6 years (revenue sharing, please work!).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Whats interesting to note is apparantley some of the fine print in this new contract could really change the way teams deal with their players. Now from what I've seen under the new system if a player decides to hold out for more money they don't get to play that year.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Boo to hold outs :angry:

Although in the interests of sport, I tend to agree with my right-wing, go go capitalism roommate that teams shouldn't just be left to their own devices.

Then you get boring baseball, where the good teams are always good, and the crap teams are always crap. I like a bit of variety in my sports.

"players decided to waste a full year of hockey"

No, they didn't. That was the owners' decision. It was a lock out. Not a strike. Know the terminology before you start posting.

"but the NHL players made approximately the same amount of money as the NFL players."

No, they don't. They'r enot even in the same league. Hahaha. A funny. I'll try to find that articvle from yesterday. The NHL isn't even in the same stratosphere as the other majorleagues on how much their players are paid (nor should they be since theya re the least profitable).

"I mean, even if the owners were cooking their books, there are other means to see if the league was in a financial sane situation."

Yeah. Attendance was, by and large, up across the board. Merchandise was selling as well as ever. The only weakness was the tv deals because of Bettman's poor negotiations. If the NHL was losing money, I BLAME him.

"Moose is good."

Best. Player. Evar.

"Boo to hold outs"

yeah. It's ok for teams to throw players in the trash when they underperform; but woe to the player who feels the team isn't paying him what he is worth so he asks for money. Talk about double standards. I say one thing, it's no wonder the oweners are billionaires, as they got the fans beliving their crap as gospel.

Pathetic.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

My wife is from Alberta and seriously used to live down the block from Messier. She said as a kid she practicaly stalked him. When I first met her and wanted in her pants, I made a flash cartoon of Messier extolling my virtues. It worked.

And my parents met the Great One, but they've never watched hockey. They were just rich and their yacht was parked next to his in the San Diego marina.

I'm tied to two famous Oilers, and I'm heading up to Edmonton to visit sometime this year.

And people, don't feed Volourn, I mean the troll.

yeah. It's ok for teams to throw players in the trash when they underperform; but woe to the player who feels the team isn't paying him what he is worth so he asks for money. Talk about double standards. I say one thing, it's no wonder the oweners are billionaires, as they got the fans beliving their crap as gospel.

Boo to anyone that doesn't honour a contract, regardless of what side they're on.

No, they didn't. That was the owners' decision. It was a lock out. Not a strike. Know the terminology before you start posting.

Then why are all the players saying "Why did we hold out? Goodenow gave us a crap deal!"

No, they don't. They'r enot even in the same league. Hahaha. A funny. I'll try to find that articvle from yesterday. The NHL isn't even in the same stratosphere as the other majorleagues on how much their players are paid (nor should they be since theya re the least profitable).

Brett Favre made 5 million last year. Steve McNair brought in 6 million.

The only goofy salary I could find was Peyton Manning, who only made 500k from his contract, but got 34 million from a signing bonus.

The best players in the NFL tend to make ~$5-6 million dollars, with the odd exception, based on what little looking around I did at this site

No flame intended, but why is it always "boring" with the sports Yanks don't like? I'm European and like soccer, and I remember some American dismissing the sport since "you can't grab the ball with your hands". Touch

^Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum

So you really haven't watched or followed the sport, but your opinion is more valid than people who do follow the sport?

Vol isn't "people". =]

The language he used was off,

It had too much zeal.

Now as for hockey,

I love to read the sports page

And that has hockey.

Don't need to *be* there

Physically at such a game

To follow hockey.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

"The best players in hockey make around $10 million though"

Actually, only a handful of them do, and one of those who make that much actually suck.

"The average NFL starter makes around $2 million a year.

The average NHL starter made around $2 million a year."

No. The average NFLer - starter or not - makes more money than the the avergae NHL player - average or not.

This is a fact as it should be since the NFl has money. Heck, Peyton Manning's 34$ mil signing bonus is gonna to be almost enough toc over a maxed out NHL team now.

Sorry, the NHL salaries aren't even in the same league as the NFL. R00fles! And, let's not mention the MBL (with no salary cap) or worse the NBA even with its 'salary cap'.

The only troll here is Enderwiggin who whines and cries like a little baby becaquse mommy said no more sex for him. Ha.

Bonuses are not part of salaries. That is why they are called bonuses, and they are not part of salary caps.

Oddly enough Volourn is psychic however as my wife went into false labor last night so I spent the entire night in the hospital, and sadly that means no more sex for me for a few months. Atleast, with her that is.

"Oddly enough Volourn is psychic however as my wife went into false labor last night so I spent the entire night in the hospital, and sadly that means no more sex for me for a few months. Atleast, with her that is."

"Bonuses are not part of salaries. That is why they are called bonuses, and they are not part of salary caps."

Irrelevant point.

Actually, only a handful of them do, and one of those who make that much actually suck

I was able to find 7 people who still have existing contracts that would have been for more than $10 million dollars. This was also just based on salaries, not including any signing bonuses or anything.

Nick Lidstrom

Keith Tkachuk

Alexei Yashin*

Jaromir Jagr

Peter Forsberg (for 3 of last 4 years, with a 9.5 mill in there)

Sergei Fedorov

Pavel Bure

* Alexei Yashin's information is from tsn.ca, which states his salary for the upcoming year. Most were taken from USA today, since tsn.ca's analysis did not have free agents on their teams, so I had to look elsewhere for Forsberg's and whatnot.

Honorably mentions: (Between 8 and 10 million...since I don't know of any bonuses on the contracts).

Values in millions of dollars

Joe Sakic: $9.8

Chris Pronger: $9.5

Rob Blake: $9.3

John LeClair: $9.0

Mike Modano: $9.0

Mats Sundin: $9.0

Bill Guerin: $8.9

Bobby Holik: $8.9

Doug Weight: $8.5

Jason Allison: $8.0

Curtis Joseph: $8.0

18 players in total.

The NFL Page lists 21 players making over $10 million dollars, bonuses included.

Going with a conservative 44 players on a football team (starters and one sub...and this is VERY conservative, given the Bills had over 60 players on their team roster), times 32 teams is 1408 players. So 1.5% of the NFLs active players make over $10 million.

Going with a beefy 36 players (enough for two full teams to play a scrimmage), times 30 teams is 1080 players. So 1.7% of active NHL players make over $10 million.

:D

yes yes, this is goofy and not very accurate, but funny to me since I'm sleep deprived.

So with bonuses, NHL players could be making more on average, and yet the NHL was bringing in 2% of the TV revenue that the NFL was.

Wasn't that exactly what I said in the beginning, and Volourn sided with the players calling this one-sided?

And for the record, supporting hockey does not make one Canadian. Many US market teams get more support than Canadian teams, and hockey is not the official sport of Canada.

Lacrosse is.

Basketball is more extreme I find, since it has smaller teams, and it's easier to justify paying one man a lot of money since one man can make more of a difference in basketball than probably any other team sport.

Basketball is more extreme I find, since it has smaller teams, and it's easier to justify paying one man a lot of money since one man can make more of a difference in basketball than probably any other team sport.

Thats very true, and for the same reason QBs in the NFL make on average more money, because they can influence the game more then any other player.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.