Did you vote for "Game of the Year"

mike12

Did you vote for "Game of the Year"  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Did you vote for "Game of the Year"

• 1) Yes I did!
    • 2) No I didn't!

It seems most reviews are made by people only a few hours into a game.

Anyone remember how every review on the planet said Doom 3 was the greatest game ever, and then plenty of reviewers wanted to recant said reviews once they had played more than 5 hours?

It was the opposite extreme, IMO, for Advent Rising. Most reviewers (there will be no names) played a few hours, decided they didnt like the control scheme before it really had a chance to be used (basically before the story was revealed and before you received any powers), and declared it a POS. It certainly wasnt the best game ever, but it deserved more than 5.6. The fact that Majesco f'ed up on the contest didnt help matters.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Bloodlines, and if were including that it's very close to KOTOR2. In fact, I'd say BL is better than KOTOR; but it makes what bugs that KOTOR2 has look harmless. LOL

You mean like comparing Jodo's posts with those of Calax? 'Cause that ain't pretty...

and neither are you meta.

Yeah, um, stop that, Meta! Why would you be so rude to the poor guy anyway?

Reading is fundamental jodo kast 5.

You know, the really sad thing is that their avatars are completely different, as are their signatures. :)

"Anything fits when you're on some drug", John Lennon.

^Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum

I'd vote for Lucifers Call right now.

But comparing whats on offer.

KOTOR II pretty solid (didnt run into any bugs of a serious nature). Last two hours of the game were mediocre but the first 38 + hours were not.

Vampire lots of potential but the memory leaks/bugs were of a much more fun sucking nature. Having to shut down and reboot every few hours , not fun. Yes the game works well on 1GB but on the recomended specs it sucks donkeys.

Jade Empire. Well by the time I'd finished JE I would have still only been near the half way point of KOTOR II. The combat system is bland and uninteresting and the end of the game is pretty much a hackfest in the same vein as KOTORII albeit with more polish. I wouldnt vote for it on principle thats its too bloody short.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It depends if you are counting PC or Console. The XBox version was released in 2004, where as the PC version was released in 2005.

And I really hope Twilight Princess is every bit as good as OoT, if not better. But I haven't played it yet.

Both LOL.

Overall pick actually. But I'll admit I had 6 years of anticipation for that game.

For RPG of the year? I only just played a bit of Jade Empire, and honestly was disappointed that there was only one button for attacks, and it was all the same combo no matter what :thumbsup: I guess I was expecting it to be more "action" in the action RPG :wub:

KOTOR 2 is probably the best RPG I've played this year (going back to November 2004 :D), but I think it's actually the ONLY RPG I've played this year.

EDIT: I really liked Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory though. It had excellent production values, the best story of the bunch, and finally fixed some of those annoying flaws we saw in the first two. Sam was much more badass, and the game wasn't as critical for you doing "bad" things, that wouldn't technically fail a mission IRL (just piss off superiors like Lambert).

The co-op mode is also great. My roommate and I just started playing it, and its so much fun when you're holding your breath to make sure that sentry walking past absolutely cannot hear you :)

For RPG of the year?  I only just played a bit of Jade Empire, and honestly was disappointed that there was only one button for attacks, and it was all the same combo no matter what :thumbsup:  I guess I was expecting it to be more "action" in the action RPG :wub:

There should be three. Strong attack, normal attack and area attack.

Something pretty horrific and unforseen would have to happen for Twilight Princess not to be excellent.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I considered the Strong Attack and Area attack to be more of the "special move" variety.

Ok. The problem anyway was there were too many styles that did the same thing and the growth was really poor since it only added statistics rather than opening up new combo's and the like.

478327[/snapback]

I felt let down by the combat, but it really seemed to have potential!

I guess the higher the expectactions, the greater the fall...because it's not like it's THAT bad if I take a step back.

I'm probably just better that it's not on the PC :)

Also, instead of spending points in 15 different styles, I just mastered 4 or 5.

I mastered Legendary Strike, Dire Flame, Paralyzing Palm, the sword, and the dual-sword.  I didn't really use anything else.

There isnt much point mastering more than 5 styles otherwise the game slows to a crawl as you access the menu all the time. There is also no reason that I could see to buy different styles of the same type. Instant access to 4 different styles is nice but more should have been made of fewer styles rather than lots of generic styles. Even if you replayed the game, the styles and how it plays are not significantly different.

I got to the Arena without spending any points but the last fight in the arena was just too long winded. As you can imagine the difficulty of the game dropped right off after that.

478327[/snapback]

I found the Arena quite easy, though I preferred the Arena in Fable.

Wasnt difficult, just long. The fight prior to that where you fought all the champions. That one was fun with no points spent but the champions moves are so predictable that it's just a case of sitting through it. Once I ran out of focus I was down to thousand cuts which does seven per hit. Once I spent some points I never ran out of focus again :)

478327[/snapback]