Rhomal's Commentary - Old school in NWN 2 - Part

Rhomal

It's all down to balance.

There are very enjoyable aspects associated with low-level character interactions, just as there are with epic levels, and every level in between as long as the interactions are balanced.

Some people may not find a game dynamic interesting if it means working with a PC that is not very powerful (and we needn't go into the reasons

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

We've been over this before. I eventually massively cheated in BG1 because I was bored. I explored every map to the fullest and completed every quest, and beat the game in 25 hours. Mind you I walked through combat.

With combat not being a factor, BG still has a much smaller world to explore than many other RPGs, yet BG is heraled as the standard of an epic-world to explore. I think that's bunk.

Even if I had not cheated on my attributes, I quickly found an exploit that made combat a breeze. In the first inn you come across, you go upstairs and there is a gentleman staying in the inn. Pickpocket him, and if you get lucky he has a cloak that gives you +2 to charisma, and unlimited uses of charm. You can use it on persons and monsters. With the expansion you also find another cloak with the same effect near the end of the game, but that one is called Baldur's Cloak.

"With combat not being a factor, BG still has a much smaller world to explore than many other RPGs, yet BG is heraled as the standard of an epic-world to explore. I think that's bunk."

That's because a game like MW, while much larger, is ultimately empty in comparison. There are not too many games the size of the Bg series that actually more meaningful content. Really, just some of the Ultimas do. Arcanum as well does very well in this aspect. And, maybe 1 or 2 other games.

And, your charisma cloak idea wouldn't help you win easily since most worthwhile opponents are going to pass the save anyways. Being able to charm masses of kobolds and xvarts proves nothing.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

... scene opens with a singular figure being surrounded by swarms of kobolds from all points of the compass, as far as the line of sight.

The Wizard Volo begins the somatic components of the Mass Confusion arcade magic spell;

Volo: McDonalds is good for you, because I eat it and I am fit and well. QED, The End.

Swarms: :wub: :wub: :wub:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

We've been over this before.  I eventually massively cheated in BG1 because I was bored.  I explored every map to the fullest and completed every quest, and beat the game in 25 hours. 

Why would you create He-Man and walk through BG1 in 25 hrs? Sounds pointless.

Anyway, the fact that you finished it so quickly just proves that we need more wilderness, and larger areas next time. :wub:

N.

Probably because after the first few hours I found the combat not only easy, but boring and broken with said item. I found the game overall boring and I just wanted to beat it to see what the fuss was all about.

It doesn't help that I really don't care for the D&D rules system.

Either way, I think Ultima 7 trounces BG1 in terms of a world to explore.