The AFI release list of 100 top movie quotes

kumquatq3

I think that list has some major flaws. How is "Open the pod bay doors, HAL" one of the quotes instead of "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that", Seems to me the latter is the more videly used outside of the film. And "Huston we have a problem" isn't a quote from the film Apollo 13, it's from the actual mission itself, the film was just using the quote, not originating it.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

That's a horrible list. Here's a good one:

"You know what I think? Don't really matter what I think. Once that first bullet flies past your head politics and all that sh*t just goes right out the window."

-Black Hawk Down

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

"You had me at 'hello.'"

Really? That's in the top 100? It made me cringe! Almost as bad as Andie MacDowell: "Is it raining? I hadn't noticed." :x

EDIT: Here's a better one from Black Hawk Down:

US Ranger: "Thank you, Malaysian UN Peacekeepers, for risking your lives to save us."

Oh no, sorry, that was cut from the final version. :rolleyes:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

EDIT: Here's a better one from Black Hawk Down:

US Ranger:  "Thank you, Malaysian UN Peacekeepers, for risking your lives to save us."

Oh no, sorry, that was cut from the final version. :rolleyes:

Are you saying that quote should have been in there? :x

I couldn't believe they just took off and left some of the Rangers and members of the 1st SFOD-D high and dry. :angry: God forbid they could have stuck with the men who were running out of Mogadishu on foot.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

"After all... I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her." - Julia Roberts in Notting Hill.

I think that's a pretty memorable quote, but it didn't make the list either.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The order of some of those quotes is rather messed up. I'm quite the film buff, but some of those quotes, IMO, aren't even that "memorable".

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'd say the first 23 quotes on the list are all deserving of making the list, though their position could be argued. But the last 75 probably shouldn't be there.

That list really seems biased to movies atleast 30 years old.

Quotable movies that people mention, like say Clerks or Pulp Fiction never make lists like that, but Casablanca gets like 5 mentions on the list? Mind you, some call it the greatest film of all time, but I'd say only 2 of the Casablanca quotes ever really get used.

We include Dirty Harry and James Bond, but I've found more often than not if people quote movies, they quote stupid comedies. They quote the lines that make people laugh.

Where are the comedies of this list?