Obsidian Forums Diplomacy Game 1 (OBS-1)

If you can't have your mother, settle for your sister.  But we really need to get on topic. 

Just before we get back on topic:

That reminds me of one of the creepiest X-Files episodes I saw : The one with the 3 inbred, incestuous, canibalistic brothers who stored their sex-slave midget mother (who in turn was sex slaving her sons), in a sliding drawer under the bed.

Of course living in the hyper liberal society of today, we can't explicity say anything against inbred, incestuous, canibalistic sex-slaves for fear of being labeled an inbredo-incestuouso-canibalistico-phope. Therfore, I'm only at libertly to state that the inbredo-incestuoso-canibalistico lifestyle concerns me.

manthing2.jpg

The episode was really good. These in-bred kicks were really good at setting traps around their house that managed to kill a few FBI agents. They looked all kinds of creepy, much like the fools who attempt to oppose the might of the Russian Hegemony.

I remember it, it was in the early days when X-files was cool and explored the sort of legends of the US like ..bigfoot :D

And there will be someone who will make you fall, in the end. Some kind of human spirit who will rise up against you.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You will fail, somehow you will fail. Something will defeat you. Life will defeat you. In the end they'll beat you, sooner or later they'll tear you to pieces. I just believe it, I know you will fail. Theres something in this world, some spirit that you will never overcome. The spirit of man.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Im not playing one more game of Diplomacy until we switch maps.

Im not playing one more game of Diplomacy until we switch maps.

What about Seismic Diplomacy? I think I brought it up before, but no one said anything. You start on the basic map, but twice a year, each player can make one change to the map, for example splitting TYS and ION and connecting Nap and Tun.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Maybe after we've played a few normal games, so that we might be more availed of the best seismic events.

I also didn't really understand what happens with normal and conflicting requests: i.e. what makes a seismic event legal and successful ?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Maybe after we've played a few normal games, so that we might be more availed of the best seismic events.

I also didn't really understand what happens with normal and conflicting requests: i.e. what makes a seismic event legal and successful ?

If two sets of seismic orders would force a province to split into two pieces, then neither is valid. Take the example given, and look at a standard diplomact map:

Austria: Bul & Gre separate; Ser & AEG connect.

Turkey: Bul & AEG separate; Gre & Con connect.

So, let's say the first move goes ahead. Serbia now borders the Agean, between Greece and Bulgaria. With that in mind, let's try and put the second move into effect. However, in order for Greece and Constantinople to connect, we would not only need to cut the connection between the Agean and Bulgaria, we would now need to cut the connection between Serbia and the Agean. The only other way to do this would be to split the Agean into two, with the province still having all its present connections, but being on both sides of a landbridge between Greece and Constantinople. Since a province cannot be split into two, and because you cannot seperate more than two provinces, Turkey's move is impossible, given Austria's. Because Austria's move made Turkey's impossible, Austria's move is invalidated.

I too think we should wait quite a lot more games before trying this, but I also happen to think we should wait a lot more games before playing a variant. I don't really see what's so wrong with the original map, though I wouldn't mind playing the Croatia veriant, as that's just a small change. :ermm:

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

*Braces*

Pray tell, what is the Croatia variant, and why does it appeal to you so?

Basically, Trieste is split into two provinces, one in the north bordering Ven, Tyr, Vie, and (I think) Bud called Croatia, and one in the south, a supply centre province bordering Alb, Ser and Bud called Split.

The idea being that by seperating the only two adjacent differently-owned home supply centres on the board, the poor records of Austria and Italy will be improved.

Adding Albania as a supply centre might also be another change I would like to play with, though this would mean removing a newtral supply centre from somewhere else, or adding one more and upping the win criteria to 19. This being wih the intention that placing a third possible neutral centre within the reach of Italy might mean that Italy has the possibility of getting 2 neutral builds (Austria taking Albania and supporting Italy into Greece something that is not likely to happen presently while Austria can support himself in and gains nothing from Albania, while Italy picks up Tunisin 1902).

I suppose the third change I might like is the Fleet Rome variant. Italy gets two fleets in this version.

I'm not sure all three at once would be such a good idea, but maybe they wouldn't unbalance th game in the wrong direction.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Basically, Trieste is split into two provinces, one in the north bordering Ven, Tyr, Vie, and (I think) Bud called Croatia, and one in the south, a supply centre province bordering Alb, Ser and Bud called Split.

The idea being that by seperating the only two adjacent differently-owned home supply centres on the board, the poor records of Austria and Italy will be improved.

Adding Albania as a supply centre might also be another change I would like to play with, though this would mean removing a newtral supply centre from somewhere else, or adding one more and upping the win criteria to 19.  This being wih the intention that placing a third possible neutral centre within the reach of Italy might mean that Italy has the possibility of getting 2 neutral builds (Austria taking Albania and supporting Italy into Greece something that is not likely to happen presently while Austria can support himself in and gains nothing from Albania, while Italy picks up Tunisin 1902).

I suppose the third change I might like is the Fleet Rome variant.  Italy gets two fleets in this version. 

I'm not sure all three at once would be such a good idea, but maybe they wouldn't unbalance th game in the wrong direction.

Well, I'm all for experimentation, but you have briefly touched on a lot of issues just there.

For one, simply "adding one more [sC] and upping the win criteria to 19" is not a trivial impact on the game; that impacts every power. I wouldn't be confident to mess with the balance and dynamics of the game without at least measuring the impact on every power in turn. That's going to affect the break-even line, and therefore the chokepoints will be affected in varying ways, and other such concerns.

It's a pretty thorny knot ... a gordian knot, I would say.

Still, in a while I will feel a bit more comfortable with the original gameboard. It is not really feasible to make comparisons when the basis for the comparison is not a known quantity ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Bah, sending in orders is for cowards..