Next Gen Consoles

What struck me in playing one of the older PS2 games is how much the graphics have jumped in quality between the flag releases and the new releases. On the Xbox they have stayed fairly static from begining to end although at a high comparitve quality.

I'd say there is a noticable difference (perhaps not as drastic as the PS2) between first gen Xbox titles and the current batch of games.

Look at the evolution of Splinter Cell for instance. Chaos Theory is one of the best looking console games, ever.

Blu-Ray is an option of high def DVD playback, HD-DVD (developed by Toshiba and NEC is the other).  HD-DVD is launching this year, and Blu-Ray players are not available for mass market, and won't be for this year.  Which do you think consumers will support?  A format that can support your current player until you purchase a new one (HD-DVD) or a format that forces you to upgrade to a costly model (Blu-Ray)?

I think your taking a too short term view. When I first got my PS2 there were hardly any DVD's you could buy in this country. Now they outnumber video cassetes in a big way.

The PS3 supports both. So it's not like you wont be able to play your old DVD's while waiting for the new media to catch on. On the other hand the Xbox360 will never support the new media which means if you want to take advantage in the future its either a P3 or a similiarly priced dedicated player.

Would you support a format that future proofs you ? Or one that has a very good chance of being obsolete in 2 or 3 years. With graphics now at this high level we could be looking at a much longer console life span (until the ON helmet becomes a reality ;) ).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I think your taking a too short term view. When I first got my PS2 there were hardly any DVD's you could buy in this country. Now they outnumber video cassetes in a big way.

The PS3 supports both. So it's not like you wont be able to play your old DVD's while waiting for the new media to catch on. On the other hand the Xbox360 will never support the new media which means if you want to take advantage in the future its either a P3 or a similiarly priced dedicated player.

Would you support a format that future proofs you ? Or one that has a very good chance of being obsolete in 2 or 3 years. With graphics now at this high level we could be looking at a much longer console life span (until the ON helmet becomes a reality  ;) ).

The market does not primarily use game consoles as their movie playback. I'm talking in the larger scheme of things, not just focusing on the gaming crowd. In a nutshell, to the average consumer -

Blu-Ray requires you purchase a blu-ray player

HD-DVD requires you purchase a HD-DVD player for HD playback, but will work in standard DVD players as well.

The consumer will see this, and support HD-DVD more for the simple fact that they can continue to buy new movies released in HD format, yet not have to buy a new player right away.

You're putting too much emphasis on console movie viewing, which is such a "drop in the ocean" compared to whole picture.

Blu-Ray is an option of high def DVD playback, HD-DVD (developed by Toshiba and NEC is the other).  HD-DVD is launching this year, and Blu-Ray players are not available for mass market, and won't be for this year.  Which do you think consumers will support?  A format that can support your current player until you purchase a new one (HD-DVD) or a format that forces you to upgrade to a costly model (Blu-Ray)?

Toshiba has been working with Sony to merge the formats. Blu-Ray holds far more data than HD-DVD and is the superior format. The formats won't really merge. Toshiba is trying to work out a non-competition deal where they still get paid.

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD both have players already on the market.

Consumers will support the format all their favorite movies are on. They could care less about the rest.

Consumers will support the format all their favorite movies are on.  They could care less about the rest.

Consumers will support the format with the most options. Seeing as how every movie, in HD can fit on both a single layer of Blu-Ray and a single layer of HD-DVD, the consumer will not notice a single difference between the formats, aside from one requires a new player, and the other is backwards compatible to current tech, giving them time to purchase a new player for added benefits at a later date, while still building up a collection of HD DVD's.

HD DVD will win.

Consumers will support the format with the most options.  Seeing as how every movie, in HD can fit on both a single layer of Blu-Ray and a single layer of HD-DVD, the consumer will not notice a single difference between the formats, aside from one requires a new player, and the other is backwards compatible to current tech, giving them time to purchase a new player for added benefits at a later date, while still building up a collection of HD DVD's.

HD DVD will win.

What are you talking about?

Both require new players. You can't put out a native high-def picture from any existing DVD player.

Most every single movie studio is backing Blu-Ray. That's where the movies will be. Blu-Ray will also be in the PS3, where as M$ decided not to include HD-DVD in the XBox 360. Blu-Ray also stores vastly more data.

You keep saying that HD-DVD doesn't require a new player. I think you are quite mistaken.

HD DVD will win.

Well thats nice and all but unless your psychic your not really qualified to make such absolute statements. :D

The sooner I can watch SW back to back without having to switch disks (and watch the extras on the same disk) the happier I will be. Not only because it kind of defeats the point of a remote if you have to swap disks, but also because it's going to save me a shedload of space and short of moving to a bloody mansion there isnt going to be a great deal of that around here as the kids grow up.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

What he means is that a HD DVD will play in a normal DVD player but will not have access to the HD material.  Too make full use of the disc you will need a HD DVD player, but to get at the basic material which most people wouold want anyway you only need a baseline DVD player.

Something like that. But then there isnt much point in upgrading is there.

The PS3 will play CDs (PS) DVDs (PS2) and ultimatley one would hope cap out with blu ray as the standard PS3 format.

478327[/snapback]

What he means is that a HD DVD will play in a normal DVD player but will not have access to the HD material.  Too make full use of the disc you will need a HD DVD player, but to get at the basic material which most people wouold want anyway you only need a baseline DVD player.

Except I don't see how that will work.

Will HD discs have a HD copy of the movie and a normal copy of the movie on the same disc?

I don't see how as HD discs don't have storage enough for both.

New DVD formats will slowly supersede the original DVD format, but new players will play old DVD discs and will often make them look even better (with progressive-scan video and picture processing). However, new HD-DVD discs won't be playable in older DVD players (unless they are special hybrid discs in both HD and SD format). Your collection of standard DVDs will be playable for many years to come, and titles will only become "obsolete" in the sense that you might want to replace them with new high-definition versions. Consider that U.S. HDTV was anticipated to be available in 1989, yet it was not finalized until 1996 and did not appear until 1998. Has it made your current TV obsolete yet?

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

From the same FAQ:

HD discs will not play on existing players. Even red-laser discs, which the player may be able to physically read, require new circuitry to decode and display the high-def video. Red-laser discs can play on DVD PCs with the right software (for example, HD versions of DVDs using Microsoft HD-WMV were available in 2003). Blue-laser discs require new optical assemblies and controllers. HD players will undoubtedly read existing DVDs, so your collection will not become obsolete when you buy a new player.

I heard that the PS3 can't play PS1 games.  Did I hear wrong?

Well it's quite possible I heard wrong but in that case Sony would be very naughty.

Hang on lets see if I can find a source, then you can blame them not me. Will edit it in as soon as I find one..

Sony raise the bar once again with the PlayStation 3! Promising to be the most powerful console of the next-generation, the PS3 is due to launch in Spring 2006, and looks set to continue the PlayStation Experience!

Curvaceous and packed with the latest technology, the PS3 is a fearsome machine. Featuring wireless controllers, six USB ports, multiple media bays for SD cards, Memory Sticks, and more besides, the console is ready to connect to just about anything straight from the box. With not one but two HDTV outputs as well as the standard AV out, the PS3 is also capable of displaying images at the highest maximum resolution!

Games wise there's plenty of support from the industry with all your favourite franchises looking better than ever before, as well as a whole host of new games on the way! Not only that, but the console is compatible with PS2 and PSone games, creating a back catalogue of software that's almost unparalleled

Source GAMEPLAY.

See if I can dig out another just in case.

478327[/snapback]

What are you talking about?

Both require new players.  You can't put out a native high-def picture from any existing DVD player.

Most every single movie studio is backing Blu-Ray.  That's where the movies will be.  Blu-Ray will also be in the PS3, where as M$ decided not to include HD-DVD in the XBox 360.  Blu-Ray also stores vastly more data.

You keep saying that HD-DVD doesn't require a new player.  I think you are quite mistaken.

45 to 50 is not "vastly" more information :|

I read, last year, from a Toshiba press release that HD-DVD would play on current DVD players at 480 resolution. Finding the article is impossible now that the "war" has exploded to what it is though.

But I'm done, using "M$" is something that annoys me, and causes me to discredit everything people say.

Take care.

http://www.ps3portal.com/?page=ps3_tech_specs

It's listed as reading Playstation 1 CD-Roms.

Edit: And as far as the HD-DVD / Blu-Ray debate goes, currently HD-DVD only supports 30 gigs. Blu-Ray currently supports 50 gigs. Toshiba says HD may someday support 45 gigs. Blu-Ray may support up to 200 gigs. The data depth for a Blu-Ray disc is .1 mm, where as it is .6 mm for a HD-DVD disc.

You really shouldn't argue with a geek when you don't know what you're talking about.

I thought the studio support for Blu ray and HD-DVD was pretty much split down the middle.

Blu ray easily beats HD with regards to space but HD can be produced with existing DVD manufacturing equipment. That is the dilemma, persoanlly i would like Blu ray to win the format war as it is technologically superior

Hrm...

Hypothetically, according to Epiphany, HD-DVD can be played back on regular DVD players, albeit at lower resolutions. If this has been disproved, I missed it and I apologize, ignore this post. Blu-Ray can not. Blu-Ray is pretty much undisputedly technologically superior (like Beta), and with more widespread superiority, it will probably actually win this time (unlike Beta). PS3 is able to play Blu-Ray and DVD discs. If you can play HD-DVD on a DVD player, you can play an HD-DVD on the PS3...

:(

I think I'll be needing a PS3, if nothing else other than to watch movies released to HD-DVD while the superior market share is sorted out.