GEORGE LUCAS PLANS KOTOR ERA MOVIE!

Nur Ab Sal

No. The evidence suggests that he is a great screenwriter/director. You don't become as successful as he has without being great. How many directors or screenwriters do you know that have literally built an entire empire ? Very few, if any others.

Volourn Wins!

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

[You are easily most stupid guy I have ever spoken with, if you don't understand the difference between opinion and a fact. Bye.]

Isn't stupidity an opinion, too?

As per usual, you have failed to write a coherent post. (Didn't I tell you to let your dog write your posts for you?)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

No. The evidence suggests that he is a great screenwriter/director. You don't become as successful as he has without being great. How many directors or screenwriters do you know that have literally built an entire empire ? Very few, if any

No the evidence suggests he is a marketing genius nothing there suggests he is a great writer director. Especially since the most acclaimed episode of SW wasnt written or directed by him.

It's like those actors who do music, they suck but they have money so they can get away with it.Merchandising made Georges fortune not film making. I look at it like I do ILM fantastic studio because they hire the best people for the job.

"10. The Superlative Cast & Crew - It's hard not to overlook the fact that George Lucas' involvement here wasn't as full-on as in the other movies. He wrote the story for The Empire Strikes Back, but not the screenplay (the late Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan are credited) and although he produced this movie, he didn't direct it: Irvin Kershner did. Read into that what you will..."

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I know its wrong to feed trolls, but it makes for great entertainment. :D

The evidence suggests that he is a great screenwriter/director. You don't become as successful as he has without being great. How many directors or screenwriters do you know that have literally built an entire empire ? Very few, if any

If commercial success is a measure of one's talent, Bill Gates is the worlds best programmer.

:rolleyes:"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

If commercial success is a measure of one's talent, Bill Gates is the worlds best programmer.

:rolleyes:"

Why do I think of Bioware when I see this? People rip on bio because of their marketing and hype. But guess what there is a lot of talent behind their games. People can rip on them all they want, but it

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

"He wrote the story for The Empire Strikes Back"

Game over. Stephen King also doesn't write all that many screenplays; but some of the best movies ever made are best on Stephen King books. He mostd efinitely deserves as much; if not more credit than the screenwriter since when a screenwriter is "just" adpating a book/story to screen; most of the work is already done for them.

"If commercial success is a measure of one's talent, Bill Gates is the worlds best programmer."

Commerical success isn't the only measure; but it most certainly is one of the most important. It's not like SW got lucky and got a lot of people to watch it and then the sequels bombed. SW is a repeated success; because George Lucas is an awesome producer, writer (even if some of the writing isn't perfect0, and director.

GEORGE LUCAS IS AWESOME AND IS STAR WARS! PRAISE BE TO KING GEORGE!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Just because his screenwriting leaves a lot to be desired does not take away that this man has made some great movies. Therefore he is a great director.

I think it should be "just because he made some great movies doesn't mean he is, by default, a great director". A good director can have his flaws and even be a lousy director in some of his own movies. Unless all his movies have been directed flawlessly, which I don't think they were.

Anyway, if you have never felt that one of his Star Wars movies was great, then that fine, but you are in the minority.

Does it matter if one's preference puts him in a minority? Is it even worth mentioning this? It feels like people just say this expecting it to automatically prove the other side wrong, or to render their argument invalid.

Sorry, but these millions of people who were repeat viewers didn

Lucas is concerned with making things look spectacular he has said so himself and IMO he is highly skilled in that area.

Where he fails is in the more traditional area of film making concerned with getting performances out of people - bad dialogue and wooden acting and clumsy exposition.

Despite this i still enjoyed all the Star Wars films and postively acknowledge the huge effect he has had on the film industry and its technology.

However proclaiming Lucas to be a great director is a stretch of the imagination.

"He wrote the story for The Empire Strikes Back"

Game over. Stephen King also doesn't write all that many screenplays; but some of the best movies ever made are best on Stephen King books. He mostd efinitely deserves as much; if not more credit than the screenwriter since when a screenwriter is "just" adpating a book/story to screen; most of the work is already done for them.

If you actually paid attention then you would see that I dont have a problem with his writing, but his screenwriting and his directing both of which are mediocre and which no one has yet presented evidence to the contrary. So you can proclaim George as much as you like because you cant prove that he is a good director or screenwriter and your "evidence" only proved he was succesful and it's irrelvent.

The skill of the screenwriter is the pacing. Movies move faster than books and you need to get across whats going on usually in a fraction of the time. The actors performance also depends a lot on the writer and director. Because to paraphrase Harrison Ford George writes **** you cant say easily.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

And could it be that when people rip on Bioware they do so for different reasons? I can't remember anyone, aside a handful (literally) of nutcases, that ripped on their games's success because it was due to the hype that may had accompanied them.

More hype means more disapointment when things dont meet expectations.

478327[/snapback]

Lucas is concerned with making things look spectacular he has said so himself and IMO he is highly skilled in that area.

Where he fails is in the more traditional area of film making concerned with getting performances out of people - bad dialogue and wooden acting and clumsy exposition.

Despite this i still enjoyed all the Star Wars films and postively acknowledge the huge effect he has had on the film industry and its technology.

However proclaiming Lucas to be a great director is a stretch of the imagination.

Exaclty but some people just cant accept that George isnt perfect it seems.

478327[/snapback]

I think it should be "just because he made some great movies doesn't mean he is, by default, a great director". A good director can have his flaws and even be a lousy director in some of his own movies. Unless all his movies have been directed flawlessly, which I don't think they were.

Well no one director has directed all his movies flawlessly, Spielburg has made some bombs like AI, just like everyone else. But if you want to bring in his whole body of work he has done a stinker like Howard the Duck. But the Indiana Jones movies, along with American Graffiti and THX 1138 have all been very good. Even Willow is one of those movies that you

- Steven Erikson

Mediocre not crappy

Mediocre

average: adequate but not very good

Crappy

a taboo term meaning worthless, useless, of poor quality, or badly made or done ( slang taboo )

Fair enough, it's just the tone of your posts, which is misleading. And I can see my tone is misleading to you and other when you think I

- Steven Erikson

Well no one director has directed all his movies flawlessly, Spielburg has made some bombs like AI, just like everyone else. But if you want to bring in his whole body of work he has done a stinker like Howard the Duck. But the Indiana Jones movies, along with American Graffiti and THX 1138 have all been very good. Even Willow is one of those movies that you

"Exaclty but some people just cant accept that George isnt perfect it seems."

Who said Lucas was perfect, and was seriosu about it? Tell me his name so I cna laugh at the fool.

"I'd say that NWN was possibly their only game to have achieved success more due to hype and word of mouth instead of talent"

You'd be wrong. That would be KOTOR due to it simply being hyped 'cause of its SW origin. NWN sold because it's damn good, and people know it hence your word of mouth part is correct; and hype is no more correct than saying FO, or TOE, or BG sold out hype. Afterall, if hype was why NWN sold; it would ahve stopped selling yet it hasn't...

You'd be wrong. That would be KOTOR due to it simply being hyped 'cause of its SW origin.

Not quite, considering Star Wars already is a household name as you say. Neverwinter Nights needed what Star Wars doesn't need any longer - added time and resources to promote its name.

NWN sold because it's damn good, and people know it hence your word of mouth part is correct; and hype is no more correct than saying FO, or TOE, or BG sold out hype.

Damn good at allowing players to make their own fanmade content. Which was actually what made it damn good in the long run. If it weren't for fans input and their determination in consistantly creating new adventures to increase replaybility, what would you have? Just the barely passable game.

And no replies consisting of "the game is the package", you know what I mean.

And comparing the amount of hype Neverwinter Nights and those games got is a bit out of tune, considering NWN had five years of development, most (if not all) of them filled with its public interest excessively bolstered by publicity, showcasings, and the like. At times you'd get the feeling there was a new developer interview every day at sites like IGN. It was everywhere.

As for the other games, ToEE got little publicity at all, and Baldur's Gate got moderate amounts.

Afterall, if hype was why NWN sold; it would ahve stopped selling yet it hasn't...

Not necessarily, considering hype is there mostly to affect initial sales, not sales in the long run.

"Not quite, considering Star Wars already is a household name as you say. Neverwinter Nights needed what Star Wars doesn't need any longer - added time and resources to promote its name."

KOTOR was hyped alot more than NWN was. KOTOR even had a tv ad soemthing NWN never did to my knowledge. Heck, even JE had a tv ad. KOTOR was million times hyped than NWN. Afterall, it not only had the BIO name hyping it but the LA/SW name as well. You cna't beat that can kind of hype.

"ToEE got little publicity at all, and Baldur's Gate got moderate amounts."

These two games got lots of hype. TOEE had a host of hype in both gaming magazines and on the 'net. Just do a search of previews, and the like for TOEE. And, BG good pretty good hype consideirng the fact it came out during a time where I had no access to computers and I still heard about it. NOW, that's hype.

"Not necessarily, considering hype is there mostly to affect initial sales, not sales in the long run."

That's my point. All hype does it get peopelk's interest; it does not make game successful except in all of the rare cases. NWN has good long term sales. That's not because of hype so to give credit for NWN's success to hype is silly. NWN2 isn't getting a sequel because of NWN's hype; but because NWN's success.

ON TOPIC: Lucas is one of the best directors ever. His movie resume speaks for itself.

ON TOPIC: Lucas is one of the best most commercially successful directors ever. His movie resume  speaks for itself.

:devil:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.