Star Wars KotOR3: Myth or Fact?

Off topic but.. What is considered to be too much loot, or phat loot?

Thats always a tough one because in a game like an RPG you need lots of extra loot to cover the various builds and choices you can make. Of course anything you cant use you sell.

The only way around that is to give the character specific weapons that are upgradable but thats something I would never support in a game that didnt have a pregenerated character.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

"Maybe Lucasarts is trying to decide if they want Obsidian to develop the third KotoR? LA couldn't possibly have missed the amount of flak that KotoR II got because of the heavily cut ending so they may want to see where the whole thing went wrong."

Yeah, KOTOR2 did horrible. Sold very well, got great reviews, won RPG of the Year awards, was rather high on a top 100 games of all time list; but yeah; LA is so horrified because whiners like us on the 'net cried a bit. Seriously. Even KOTOR with all its rewards, high scores, and fans had its share of haters. I seriously doubt LA does business by paying real close attention to idiotic internet geek morons.

As for phat loot, every single CRPG I have ever played from the GB box games to the IE games to KOTOR series to FO series all have too much phat lewt. Thems the breaks.

Yup. IIRC, KotOR II has sold 1 million copies worldwide.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"Maybe Lucasarts is trying to decide if they want Obsidian to develop the third KotoR? LA couldn't possibly have missed the amount of flak that KotoR II got because of the heavily cut ending so they may want to see where the whole thing went wrong."

Yeah, KOTOR2 did horrible. Sold very well, got great reviews, won RPG of the Year awards, was rather high on a top 100 games of all time list; but yeah; LA is so horrified because whiners like us on the 'net cried a bit. Seriously. Even KOTOR with all its rewards, high scores, and fans had its share of haters. I seriously doubt LA does business by paying real close attention to idiotic internet geek morons.

As for phat loot, every single CRPG I have ever played from the GB box games to the IE games to KOTOR series to FO series all have too much phat lewt. Thems the breaks.

Yup. IIRC, KotOR II has sold 1 million copies worldwide.

It did sell well but that doesn't mean the game wasn't flawed. And the devs know it , too. Also, I have to disagree with Volo's assertion that LA is not going to be "paying real close attention to idiotic internet geek morons." on this subject because they just sent out a survey asking gamers alot of questions about K3. And let's face it: the only people who are probably going to take the time to complete that survey are people like us that post on development company forum boards.

By the way, I do agree with all the whiners about K2. You can go back and look at these forums back in December and January and see how I was one of the first people to tell all the haters to shut their mouths unless they had something constructive to say, other then "THIS GAME IS HORRIBLE AND SO IS YOUR MOM!!!111"

But, those idiot morons DID HAVE AN EFFECT. Remember Aurora's thread? Remember how that made international news? How that thread was linked on just about every videogame/scifi/fantasy and geek website across the net? Every site from Gamespy to Gamespot, from IGN to Slashdot, from Penny Arcade to TheForce.Net had an article or two about that thread and the other goings on here on these boards.

That's why at one point Feargus threatened to have the boards shut down because it was bad PR and LUCASARTS WAS NOT HAPPY ABOUT THE NEGATIVE BACKLASH THE GAME WAS RECEIVING. If you don't believe that, go to Gamespy's website and do a search for KOTOR 2 where they said that their article about K2 in connection with what we were saying did not go over well with the powers that be over at LA.

So, in light of all that, I have to say that though LA is only about money and meeting their bottom line, as all businesses are, OE is a tad bit different because thay are still new and trying to establish for themselves a reputation in exCellence. Quality means alot to OE. That's why they are so interactive with the gamers. Just like the BioWare devs are.

That's why I hope they pass on KOTOR 3.

What sort of scares me about Obsidian possibly doing K3, beyond the obvious that it's apparantly not really possible for them to release an RPG using an existing engine in 13 months, is that in one interview somewhere, Chris Avellone stated that he'd never try to write an Empire Strikes Back type of ending (or some words to that effect).

I really don't see where he's going with this (unless his ESB-type ending was mostly just cut).

I mean, I can see hints of what might have eventually become an ESB-type ending, but it's not in the release.

At the end of ESB, you know where everyone stands, and you know (or at least suspect) what is going to come next. And better yet, you know that there IS a next. Also, even though you know all of this, nothing is really resolved. No bad guy was taken out.

At the end of TSL (at least as LS, as that's all I've finished), Kreia is dead (the main driving force in the game), yet you (and your companions) are sort of in a confused state. There's some sort of hanging story with the Remote, Mira had to inexplicably (meaning there's no followup) fight Hanharr, and the Ebon Hawk takes off after being beyond repair, at least that's what it looked like. Perhaps I'm forgetting some endings, but I don't have a clue, really, what comes next for anyone. I have some vague ideas of what the long-term future is for a few of them, but not what any of them might do for the rest of the KOTOR story (Revan-Exile resolution).

Maybe Chris meant that his ending is ESB-esque because the story isn't over, and that's the extent of it?

But even in that regard, ESB fills in some necessary tie-ins between SW and RotJ. The Rebels are still fighting the Empire, and Darth Vader is still the ultimate bad-guy, but we learn something important about him. The heros from the first film all grow, to some extent. Get either more interesting or learn more. And one of them is now in serious trouble.

I just remember being as baffled by Chris's statement as I was about the end of the game.

What sort of scares me about Obsidian possibly doing K3, beyond the obvious that it's apparantly not really possible for them to release an RPG using an existing engine in 13 months, is that in one interview somewhere, Chris Avellone stated that he'd never try to write an Empire Strikes Back type of ending (or some words to that effect).

I really don't see where he's going with this (unless his ESB-type ending was mostly just cut).

I think what he meant was he'd never write another "open ended" ending like KOTOR2 had, where there were hints of something to follow, as opposed to how KOTOR1 pretty much wrapped up the story at the end.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I cant think of anyone else who could have pulled off what Obsidian did in the time they had. I also cant think of anyone I would rather do KOTOR III as long as this time they are given a respectable window of development.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I agree with 'Paladin. As long as NWN and New Jersey are done first. I'd like to see a finished game first before giving Obsidian more of my trust. o:)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

But, those idiot morons DID HAVE AN EFFECT.  Remember Aurora's thread?  Remember how that made international news?  How that thread was linked on just about every videogame/scifi/fantasy and geek website across the net?  Every site from Gamespy to Gamespot, from IGN to Slashdot, from Penny Arcade to TheForce.Net had an article or two about that thread and the other goings on here on these boards.

That's why at one point Feargus threatened to have the boards shut down because it was bad PR and LUCASARTS WAS NOT HAPPY ABOUT THE NEGATIVE BACKLASH THE GAME WAS RECEIVING.  If you don't believe that, go to Gamespy's website and do a search for KOTOR 2 where they said that their article about K2 in connection with what we were saying did not go over well with the powers that be over at LA.

We'll see. I just need to get the natives to quiet down a bit, so things stop spilling over out of the forum.

:D

That quote still makes me laugh.