I Saw Episode 3

Bokishi

I agree. At least Yoda had an excuse, as reinforcements had arrived so he fled. Obi-Wan had every opportunity in the world to kill Anakin and he should have, jedi way or not. He should have put a stop to his evil. 

Not just that. Someone he cared about like a brother was turning into a charcoal briquette before his eyes.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

So what do you think would have happened if Obi-Wan had finished off Anakin? What kind of an impact do you think that would have had on the empire? I think that a lot of lives would have been saved had Anakin not lived, and the empire would have been a great deal weaker. But that's just my opinion.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

It would have been totally sweet if Tarkin had been Lukes father instead of Vader.

tarkin.jpg

-It would appear that I am your father, Luke.

-That cant be!

-Im afraid it is. But rest assured, the loathing is mutual.

-What the hell am I supposed to do now?

-Go to your room. Tomorrow I shalll send you off to

military school to make a proper man out of you, boy.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

No idea, people like Tarkin were far more evil that Vader at least according to the films.

Ah, but acording to his diaries he was just a misunderstood old chap. Quite friendly really.

Grand Moff Tarkin, so misunderstood... :-"

You have to be at least a bit evil to blow up a planet.

You would think if he knew who Leia was he may have shared the info :- (from the diaries).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Imo Qui-Gon was the coolest of all these Jedi, he was calm, wise (somewhat) didn't have a ton of one-liners, and was overall likeable. (unlike that brat he found on Tatooine)

Of course, Lucas just had to kill him off and the uber cool Maul as well, we wouldn't want to have too many solid characters in the next film now would we? (even though Maul was hardly a developed character, I still liked him somewhat)

Lucas, god damn youuuuuuuuu! :-

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Imo Qui-Gon was the coolest of all these Jedi, he was calm, wise (somewhat) didn't have a ton of one-liners, and was overall likeable. (unlike that brat he found on Tatooine)

Of course, Lucas just had to kill him off and the uber cool Maul as well, we wouldn't want to have too many solid characters in the next film now would we? (even though Maul was hardly a developed character, I still liked him somewhat)

Lucas, god damn youuuuuuuuu!  >_<

Makes you wonder if Liam pulled an Sir Alec and asked to be killed off...

Dooku in his EPII incarnation was much better than Maul. While Parks is heck of a stunt man and fighter, he's not in CL's league.

Not sure what happened to poor Dooku in EP III, possibly linked to CL's health problems.

478327[/snapback]

Lucas, god damn youuuuuuuuu!  >_<

Makes you wonder if Liam pulled an Sir Alec and asked to be killed off...

Dooku in his EPII incarnation was much better than Maul. While Parks is heck of a stunt man and fighter, he's not in CL's league.

Not sure what happened to poor Dooku in EP III, possibly linked to CL's health problems.

I was thinking the same thing, still a sad loss of good character, he was one of the few things I actually liked in EPI.

And you're right, good old Dooku was a better villian, I just thought there was a certain coolness to Maul, but it was probably just his awsome double bladed fighting style I guess.

Also, I didn't know CL had health problems, but alas he is an old man. I was surprised he could still dance around with that lightsaber of his at that age (stand ins aside)

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I think Lucas meant it to show that Palps wasnt all-powerful and that "evil is not cool" just like how he is humiliated by that slapstick fall over the chair in his office when he is forcepushed by Yoda.

I read the script and it says Palps gets all wrinkly because Mace manages to reflect the lightning back to Palps. I assumed it was because he drained himself by zapping too much forcelightning.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

the worst lines were when yoda's were a bit mixed up, some just sounded off.

Yeah, I have to wonder if Yoda's increasingly goofy speech was a result of Lucas' desire to stick to rules he believed he'd made for Yoda's sentence structure in a more reliable way. In the Original movies, Yoda would very frequently break the rules which normally apply to his sentence structure arbitrarily, just to make the line more coherent or less goofy, or more accessible to the audience. In Ep III, Lucas seemed to throw any intent to make Yoda's sentence structure not sound ridiculous out the window, and the result was the audience laughing at all sorts inappropriate times, during seriously delivered Yoda lines.

Unfortunately, there's no way to get around the badly (well, probably not at all) thought out jive talk Lucas invented for his little green puppet at this point. I think he should have just gone on breaking all the rules of the aphasic dialect he'd invented here as well. We know Yoda doesn't actually follow any logical rules in his speech. We know Lucas really has no better idea what he's doing than having his puppet "speak all backwards" or some such thing. So enforcing the irrational variations on English he'd invented when they sound so ridiculous seems silly.

The frustrating thing about it is that it's grammatically such a mess. It's just English word order, usually with phrases which would normally begin a sentence ending them, with some English grammar rules enforced when they break Yoda's rules, and some of Yoda's rules enforced when they break English rules, in a confused and incoherent pile of linguistic uncertainties. Since English itself has a very messy, often broken set of greatly varied rules on word order, you can apply Yoda's variations to those rules and claim he's speaking according to certain grammatical rules to derive a subset of English grammar's, but in reality, he's just speaking every-day Modern English with a couple words which appeared significant to Lucas moved from the sentence's beginning to the sentence's end. One can say things like "in first person indicative phrases, the nominative pronoun and its auxilliary verb will normally be sentence final if the auxilliary verb is present, or the nominative pronoun and the main clausal verb will be sentence final if no auxilliary verb is present," but that's just a fancy way of describing the result of Lucas sticking what he saw at the beginning of a sentence on the end of it instead, so it seems like a pointless exercise.

I think Lucas should have stuck with having his little green man "talking all weird" in whatever way had originally occurred to him, but being strict about rules which don't even really formally exist when it makes lines sounds so silly strikes me as pointless.

I other words, GL can't write dialogue. Even screwey dialogue that he invented in the first place he can't write successfully.

Its just rumours, I heard 100, you heard 20 which seems more reasonable. Unless it is to be the Lucasmachines new cashcow, then they'll want to go as far as they possibly can.

If it's like EVERY other series made currently, it will be made eight episodes at a time, with the option to extend.

Was I the only one utterly disappointed by this movie? The acting and dialogue was as abysmal as ever, and Anakin Skywalker's descent to the dark side and ultimate transformation into Darth Vader was entirely implausible. There was no hook. Palpatine just says, "Aww, come on!" and Skywalker gives in. He readily turns his back on the Jedi Council, Obi-wan, the Republic, and ultimately Padme, and for what...? Natalie Portman? I really figured it would have taken her death, not the possibility of death, to push Anakin over the edge. A better writer could have made his fall to the dark side much more convincing.

I agree that the plot is completely ludicrous.

The film itself I went in with no real (positive) expectations; I was still somewhat underwelmed by it. Yeah, there was some pretty laser cannons at the beginning. Seen it before. Yes there were some citiscapes. Seen it. Yes there were lightsabre battles. But now all rather boring (although I did chuckle at Grevious's twin hay-maker windmill attack).

I thought the series ended up being more about Obi_wan than Darth Vader. Or R2D2 ... he survived all the films intact, after all.

I found the acting woeful (with a few small exceptions: Ian McDiarmid carried his scenes) with Hayden Christensen again making hard work of the -- admitedly dire - dialogue.

I agree totally that the whole raison d'

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Palpatine was not manipulating this time. I've said it once before and thenceforth I will leave it with you.

Nobody beats Jules Windu.

pulpfiction_jules.jpg

Shut the **** up, fat man Palpatine!

pulpfiction_jules.jpg

Say "Sith" again! C'mon, say "Sith" again! I dare ya, I double dare ya mother****er, say "Sith" one more goddamn time!

Nobody owns Jules Windu!

WHO IS YER DADDY AND WHAT DOES HE DO?

manthing2.jpg

Say what you will about Hayden Chirstensen, but he actually managed to not be so bloody annoying this time. To my great surprise I might add, I HATED him in Ep2.

for all the genius of lucas, he is rubbish at getting actors to act :lol:

That's because he over-directs them. And he directs badly, too.

Episode 3 was NOT a let down and neither was episode 1 & 2

I thinnk people were just dissapointed because of the god-like status that Star Wars had recieved after ROTJ

RotJ was crap. SW:ANH was a landmark film. It was a brand new concept in SF, after Flash Gordon, it was innovative and interesting and a very romantic swashbuckling film. The sets looked dirty and used: this was a new concept for SF, whereas normally it was expected that SF = sparkly new sets. Ridley Scott was so impressed he used the look for Alien.

ESB was the dark image of ANH, and it featured the Empire taking a leading role; Darth Vader came into his own and GL began to create a big SW universe. (No-one, not even GL, expected SW to be more than one film.)

The newer films are all less innovative, being derivative, and equally appalling -- or worse -- in acting, directing, scripting and charcter development.

But I dont get this idea that Lucas would be a genious, why? He's no good as a director, he writes bad scripts and seems to have some pretty weird ideas of what SW is.

And he didnt create Star Wars, he came up with the original idea which was then develeoped and fleshed out by many other people. Most people dont know how very little backstory existed in the ANH days, instead they assume that Lucas is a genious who created an entire universe from scratch like Tolkien did with LotR. Thats couldnt be more wrong.

'cause it were tolkien who came up with dragons and elves and orcs and trolls 'n such.

george lucas made american graffiti... a pretty innovative movie in terms of narrative style. and keep in mind that george lucas funded Empire... $30 million of his own money so that he could do his way, and most folks seems to think that Empire turned out ok. star wars were a pretty clever movie... took traditional hero myth and set it in space... and space movies were not all that profitable at the time... is why fox were willing to sell lucas the merchandising rights for star wars.

can lucas write? no. his dialogues, in particular, is awkward and tends to be overwrought. oddly 'nuff, lucas admits that he cannot write. even more odd is fact that in spite of lucas' acknowledged shortcoming, he continues to write.

What is interesting is that GL studied anthropology at university. You'd think he'd have a better idea about story-telling with this sort of background. Obviously he has never had a decent romance in his life, judging by the remorcelessly tedious dialogue. What a lost-cause nerd.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I thought the Jedi Masters fell way too easily.  Especially the ones that accompanied Mace to arrest Palpatine.  Like what was that?  Gee let's stand there and let an old guy stick a lightsaber in me without trying to block or move.

That's what I thought, too. The only way I could justify it in my mind was that Sidious was THE Sith Master so he executed a move that no one had ever seen before. I know thats stretching it, but thats the only thing I could think of. Only Mace, being the senior member of the Jedi Council, knew how to defend against it.

But all in all, I really thought the Jedi were a bunch of panzis. Especially after how they were portrayed in the Clone Wars animated series. In Clone Wars, they pretty much lived up to my imagination of what a Jedi Knight would be like in his or her prime. An unkillable bada@#.

But in ROTS, they are not only disposed of by Clone Troopers, but they are completely lacking of any kind of intelligence. They just walk right into traps blindly and seem only concerned with their own Order as opposed to the Republic itself.

After watching the way Lucas portrayed them in the movie, I was left wondering how they survived THIS long.

Also, the way Anakin fell made him look like a complete idiot. I'm sorry, but it did. He goes from, "What have I done??!", to willingly walking into a room and killing a bunch of innocent children. WTF?

This is why I've always said that Anakin should've started off the prequels older. His fall to the darkside should've started at the end of Episode I, which is also where I thought the Clone Wars should've started. The second episode could've just been a balls to the wall Clone Wars movie, while still showing Anakin's gradual fall to darkness.

At the end of EP2, he would've made a decision that pretty much would have sealed his fate. By the time we got to EP 3, he would pretty much be Darth Vader. There would be nothing left to do but show the fall of the Jedi at the hands of Vader and Sidious.

But oh well. I mean, Lucas is a visionary and I totally see where he was going with Anakin's fall. He planted the seed in TPM when Yoda tells Anakin in the Jedi Council chamber that fear is the path to the darkside. All this time, Anakin was terrified of losing Padme. It was this fear that lead him to be angry, but most importantly desperate.

He was desperate to save the woman he loved. His wife and the mother of his children. But he didn't know how. All he knew was that there was this horrible prospect of loss in his heart that he couldn't bear. This caused unimaginable fear. That's why Yoda tells him in EP III that Anakin must learn to let go of all that because it's greedy and selfish. However, in the end, human nature got the best of him.

Could any of you honestly say that you wouldn't "go over to the darkside" in an effort to save the ones that you love if you thought they were in danger? Especially if you thought that by doing so, you would ensure the safety and security of your friends and/or family? Remember: you are DESPERATE here. You honest to goodness believe the person that is THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN YOUR LIFE (your wife, husband, mom, dad, best friend, girlfriend/boyfriend, whoever) is going to die and you feel utterly helpless to stop it.

And then someone who has always been in your life, a mentor to you, someone you trust and has always looked after you and showed you affection and respect where no one else would, offers you a way to save this person. Would you honestly turn this down when you feel that no one else hears you or understands how you're feeling. When you are generally confused and caught up in the vacuum of a huge war while you're only in your 20s and have been told that, oh by the way, you are the chosen one who will bring balance to the Force.

This poor man was FATED to go over to the darkside. Seriously.

This is why Anakin and Darth Vader in general, is a tragic figure in every sense of the word. He allowed himself to be duped because he was desperate to save the woman he loved, to defeat the aspect of doubt in his heart. But when all was said and, there was only suffering. Which is exactly what Yoda said in TPM.

The problem is Lucas did a terrible job conveying all this in a script or on the big screen. It just comes off as rushed and empty.

This is an extremely idealised interpretation of a particularly poorly written, scripted, directed and acted part of the film. I applaud your heroic interpretation of the meagre raw ingredients. Yes, ideally, that should have been something like the story; unfortunately we got the equivalent of the Antartic Shakepeare Appreciation Society's Hamlet.

I imagine that what we didn't see was Sidious telling Vader that Padme had betrayed him, that he couldn't trust anyone but Sidious and those he could bend to his will, that letting Padme choose what to do only made her turn on him, and to channel his anger into lust for power, or somesuch.

dunno, that seems like an important bit of info to leave out, don't you? :lol:

Hmm. Didn't phrase that right, did I? What I meant, is that that is what I'd imagine happened in between the two scenes, not that Lucas left out that important information. Who knows what his ideas behind the motivation were, but if I were Sidious, I'd say that.

The problem is that Anakin was given too many motivations. The primary one which seemed to be save Padme whatever the cost was shot to bits when he thought he had killed her. Gratitude to the emporer dosnt seem too likely, revenge on Obi Wan ? Possibly , that could lead to him searching around the Galaxy. Anakin as a trgic figure just trying to save his wife might have worked if he hadnt gone around butchering children. He wasnt even involved directly in order 66 so without that scene he could have been very much the tragic hero...

In which case meeting Luke would remind him of his humanity. I expect somewhere along the way he would have figured out that he didnt kill Padme after all. Probably between EPV and VI which would reinforce his motivations for turning on the emporer , who had lied to him all along.

To me that seems to fit together better in relation with EP IV-VI.

It speaks volumes about the quality and depth of the writing when we have to create plot and character motivations for the main character of a film sexology. :rolleyes:

She's an actress. If she cna't handle the lines she should have passed on the gig. She didn't; so she takes the blame for what she does.

Well, cheese lines are still cheese no matter who says 'em. That has little to do with acting talent.

I don't agree with this either. Watch a good actor say a cheesey line with panache, and you'll agree. For example, Robert Deniro was given no stage direction and the line "Are you looking at me?" in Taxi Driver. (If you haven't seen this Oscar winning film, then I recommend it.) That is the difference that a good acting performance can achieve.

No. People are comparing the OT with the NT. I've seen the first two movies so I know they are being bogus when the claim the OT is better. Period. When I have said, matter of factly, that E3 was the best of the bunch? Never. That's when.

No, that is not my opinion, anyway.

I think that ANH was a breakthrough, a high watermark for special effects and a fresh, new way to do the romantic swashbuckling film in space. The sequel was a darker film, and had a better story, and marked GL's expansion into the EU. From there, the franchise became derivative and uninspiring.

You may say that the prequel trilogy was just more of the same, and you would be correct. There is nothing new in filmmaking, plot, character development, acting, dialogue script or even special effects in these newer films than what was created thrity years ago.

That's why the first and second films were better, they were original. :shifty:

Given the fact that Lucas rewrote the script to fit the editing, there not much there that isnt in the film.

And, doesnt anyone react to the fact that all of a sudden its possible to travel halfway across the galaxy in mere hours or even minutes? Given the original trilogys style, going from Coruscant to Mustafar would have taken days.

I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of "... and then, a bit later ..." moments in the film; like there was a summary going on, because so much was happenning. Interesting that it appears the Emperor wasn't able to communicate with all the clones at once, instead he had to make a bunch of back-to-back trunk calls ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

They should have shot SLJ like a spent horse after they were done with Pulp Fiction. Jules is the only role he's ever played and ever will play. Atleast Mark Hamill wasnt whored to play Luke type characters, his career just plain died.