Misty Eyed Movie Moments

jaguars4ever

I contend it is you that does not know RPGs and can be easily satisified by the lackluster story of Jade Empire. It is definitely not Bioware's best work, even considering their common failings. And I do not equate evil with thuggery.

Every game Bioware has done are all above average, and most were considered the best RPG of the year! Even best GAME of the year! If you do not think that an epic story

of an evil tyrant, a wise old master, a shadowy assassin, and a woman or man who's destiny would change an Empire, with a fast paced real time combat system, the best romance options to date ( you can even be gay!), and all set in mythical China with Demons and magic, then sir, I'd love to see your definition of a good RPG.

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

I contend it is you that does not know RPGs and can be easily satisified by the lackluster story of Jade Empire. It is definitely not Bioware's best work, even considering their common failings. And I do not equate evil with thuggery.

Every game Bioware has done are all above average, and most were considered the best RPG of the year! Even best GAME of the year! If you do not think that an epic story

of an evil tyrant, a wise old master, a shadowy assassin, and a woman or man who's destiny would change an Empire, with a fast paced real time combat system, the best romance options to date ( you can even be gay!), and all set in mythical China with Demons and magic, then sir, I'd love to see your definition of a good RPG.

You completely misconstrued my comments. Bioware does make good games, I simply think that certain plot devices and problems run throughout the ones Ive played. Also, I greatly enjoyed Jade Empire, as I said earlier. Its setting, combat system, and romances were great, much better than their previous RPGs. However, it is my opinion that the main storyline follows too closely upon their prior works with too many cliches and overall remains the weakpoint of the package.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Well sure, the story is cliche', what with the 'old wise master betrayal' and all, but your previous statements were quite clear.

It is definitely not Bioware's best work, even considering their common failings.
If you you thought Bioware made good games, I doubt you would speak of " common failings". I'm sure you must have different standards of a good story, so please post them. And no freebies like Zelda or Halo. Give me a game with a story that is better then Jade Empire's, and I'll not badger you further.

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

If you thought Bioware made good games, I doubt you would speak of "common failings". I'm sure you must have different standards of a good story, so please post them. And no freebies like Zelda or Halo. Give me a game with a story that is better then Jade Empire's, and I'll not badger you further.

I do think Bioware makes good games, just not perfect ones. Perhaps I can simply be objective where you cannot? :wub:

Also, Halo did not have a good story. I enjoyed the gameplay, but dont see the reason for all the fanboys/fangirls.

Heres a game with a much better plot: Planescape: Torment. Yes, it too is based on a cliche, but the implementation and depth raises it above the roots from which it grew.

I find it kind of sad

umm guys maybe you should continue your discussion elsewhere...

Did anyyone mention the death of optimus prime? Jag, kaftan? i'm looking in your direction..

I'm watching it right now and remember that i was really bummed out by the fact that the lead chracter died. :wub:

umm guys maybe you should continue your discussion elsewhere...

Well said. In fact, we'll follow Arch's words of wisdom:

Though I normally dont mind OT posts, I would appreciate it if we stuck to the subject at hand here. I am afraid once this thread becomes derailed, attracting renewed interest in my writing would be difficult.

---

Did anyyone mention the death of optimus prime? Jag, kaftan? i'm looking in your direction..

I'm watching it right now and remember that i was really bummed out by the fact  that  the lead chracter died. :wub:

A truly tragic moment in cinematic history - Optimus Prime, the quintessential leader of justice and unity, cheated by the treacherous Megatron.

:'(

22.jpg

manthing2.jpg

Yep I liked that too. "The Professional" or "Leon" depending on your country of viewing.

Definitely not "Howard the Duck", or "Howard" as it was released later in the UK ...

PS Optimus Prime was the last role for Orsen Welles.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Thats why Jade had me bawlin.

Jade Empire was too obvious in typical bioware style. Way too many clues that your teacher had programmed into your training a flaw that anyone with enough skill could exploit.

The only thing I felt playing that was the same sort of oh here we go again being manipulated like in KOTOR.

Better story than Jade Empire, FFX , ShadowHearts II etc. JE comes way down on the best story list.

Arch is pretty much on the money Jade Empire was a huge disapointment for so many reasons. Not least Biowares clumsy storytelling and the same lets give the game away for anyone paying attention...

For Drama cant beat the creeping fear felt the closer you got to Zanarkand and that moment of shock when you realise what the summoners journey is really about in FFX. In Jade the characters flet like nothing more than storytelling devices. They sat around in combat and the stood around waiting to spoonfeed you the next bit of "story". When Zu popped off, which he didnt really need to do as Deaths Hand was a wuss when I finally got to fight him. It just smacked of Obi Wan Kinobi. I even said I bet he pops up later in the game to bail you out. :)

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

<OT Jade Empire discussion>

***SPOILER*** TAGS Shadow! You talk about "drama", but it's exactly those types of plot spoilers which result in anit-climatic experiences for others. You really ought to know better.

If you didnt see those coming anyway I would be suprised. Nothing said about FFX isnt there from the start. You know there is something more to the summoners journey from the off, you just dont know what it is...

The on topic part is pretty clear. If you try to force your story then it dosnt provoke an emotion from me byond rolling my eyes at the ineptitude of the writers.

Since those things had already been openly spoiled anyway further up the thread. Little point in using spoiler tags if you ask me.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

If you didnt see those coming anyway I would be suprised.

One can't see it coming if they've yet to play the game...

---

The on topic part is pretty clear. If you try to force your story then it dosnt provoke an emotion from me byond rolling my eyes at the ineptitude of the writers.

I disagree my friend, but I respect your opinion.

---

Since those things had already been openly spoiled anyway further up the thread. Little point in using spoiler tags if you ask me.

That makes no logical sense whatsoever. If spoilers have been leaked (which they have), yet effort has been made to contain those spoilers (which has), then influx of new spoilers (i.e.

Sagacious Zu's death

), merely serves to increase the entropy of the situation...not aid in the rectification.

manthing2.jpg

I disagree my friend, but I respect your opinion.

---

That makes no logical sense whatsoever. If spoilers have been leaked (which they have), yet effort has been made to contain those spoilers (which has), then influx of new spoilers (i.e.

Sagacious Zu's death

), merely serves to increase the entropy of the situation...not aid in the rectification.

I did say from me. You cant really disagree with that since I wasnt refering to anyone but myself :D

Since I read them while reading the thread and they are in no way disguised or contained it seems quite pointless to hide something that you would have already read a couple of posts up. It wasnt me who posted that Zu croaks first I simply responded to it. Likewise I didnt give the game away about the betrayer either. It's simply one of those risks you take when it comes to message boards.

478327[/snapback]

I have an unfailing memory when it comes to spoilers. I can read something, then play the game 3 years later and Ill still remember that A is really B in disguise.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

PS Optimus Prime was the last role for Orsen Welles.

Surely you mean Unicron? In fact he died before they finsihed the movie...and if you listen carefully you'll notice Unicron's last lines were voiced by none other than Leonard Nimoy filling in for Orson Welles.

You are correct. My source of trivia will need to be checked for gremlins, however, because there is a further film listed in 1987, one year after The Transformers: The Movie (Beyond good. Beyond evil. Beyond your wildest imagination.), aka Mokushiroku Matrix yo eien ni.

But if Orson died in mid sentence, then -- unless he was moonlighting at the time -- I guess that makes Unicron his last piece.

PS Arcee was voiced by Sue Blue.

PPS Orson Welles died in 1985 sparking rumors that Leonard Nimoy took over and provided the voice for Unicron. However, actress Susan Blu (Arcee) has since confirmed that Welles completed the voiceover work before he died.

PPPS This film is considered the "bridge" between the second and third cartoon series, as several second-series characters are introduced here and several first-series characters are killed or altered (e.g. Megatron to Galvatron).

PPPPS Many of the second season characters (Stunticons, Aerialbots, etc.) do not appear in the movie because they did not exist at the time the movie was written. However, they all suddenly appear in the post-movie episodes.

PPPPPS Two Cyclonus-style robots are created in the movie; one from Bombshell (Insecticon) and one from Skywarp (Decepticon jet). Many fans have speculated which one became the "real" Cyclonus. Cyclonus was (apparently) originally intended to have many duplicates under his command ("and his armada..."), like Scourge and his Sweeps. However, only one duplicate was created on-screen and was never seen again after that shot. This has led fans to write fanfics about a character called "Armada".

PPPPPPS The last film with Scatman Crothers before his death.

PPPPPPPS The band who sings the songs on the soundtrack called "Nothin's Gonna Stand In Our Way" and "Hunger" is listed on the soundtrack credits as Spectre General, but the band's name is actually Kick Axe. When the soundtrack was being assembled, they thought the name "Kick Axe" sounded too threatening, so they listed them as "Spectre General". The band was not notified about the change.

PPPPPPPPS Almost all of the new characters that appear in the Movie were newly designed. The Hasbro toys were based on the Movie's character designs. The exception was Ultra Magnus, who already had a toy in the Japanese "Diaclone" line. His character model was based on the toy, and given new colors.

PPPPPPPPPS Originally, Ultra Magnus was drawn and quartered by the Sweeps (his arms and legs were ripped from his body). This was changed a scene of his being blasted to death. However, the shot of the Sweeps firing at Magnus shows them using continous beams (almost as if they were ropes of energy), instead of laser blasts they are seen using in the rest of the movie.

PPPPPPPPPPS The movie was being produced by the same company, and at the same time, as _G.I. Joe: The Movie (1987 video)_ . It had been agreed that both movies would suffer the loss of the lead heroes, Optimus Prime and Duke. Production had begun on G.I. Joe first, and was thus expected to be released first. During the production of the two films, G.I. Joe Got held up while Transformers finished production. Release dates were changed and Transformers got a theatrical release in 1986. Optimus Prime's death sparked some controversy and caused the writers to change Duke's death to a coma. G.I. Joe never got to the theaters, and was released to video instead. Had G.I. Joe been released first, Optimus Prime might have survived the movie.

PPPPPPPPPPPS Some pre-movie characters have very short cameos: Huffer, Hound, Sunstreaker, and Snarl.

PPPPPPPPPPPPS Grimlock's line to Kup, "Tell Grimlock about petro-rabbits" is a reference to John Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men" in which Lenny continuously asks George to "Tell me about the rabbits."

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

John Steinbeck

Another writer I dislike! (Yes I dislike quite a few authors.) Im sure he wrote some worthwhile books, however the only one of his I have read (as summer reading) was "The Red Pony." Possibly among the worst books ever written.

Heres a synopsis: Boy gets a pony. Pony dies. Boy gets another pony. Pony dies. Boy gets another pony who dies while giving birth to another pony. The End.

P.S. This may be a slightly exaggerated account.

I find it kind of sad

John Steinbeck

Another writer I dislike! (Yes I dislike quite a few authors.) Im sure he wrote some worthwhile books, however the only one of his I have read (as summer reading) was "The Red Pony." Possibly among the worst books ever written.

Heres a synopsis: Boy gets a pony. Pony dies. Boy gets another pony. Pony dies. Boy gets another pony who dies while giving birth to another pony. The End.

P.S. This may be a slightly exaggerated account.

Steinbeck is all about the pain and suffering of the disposessed working class. You want to read a painful novel (pun intended), read "The Grapes of Wrath". Ugh.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

"Heres a synopsis: Boy gets a pony. Pony dies. Boy gets another pony. Pony dies. Boy gets another pony who dies while giving birth to another pony. The End."

I'm liking it already!

He obviously should choose a different line of work that animal husbandry, as he doesn't seem to be very capable. Maybe auto-mechanic?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT