Misty Eyed Movie Moments

jaguars4ever

Man, I'm gonna have to read the novelization.

I've never heard of Matthew Stover before. Is he a good SF writer? He really wrote that end scene well.

He wrote Shatterpoint - not only the sinlge most poignant Star Wars novel, but one the finest pieces of science-fiction literature of the 21th century.

manthing2.jpg

Man, I'm gonna have to read the novelization.

I've never heard of Matthew Stover before. Is he a good SF writer? He really wrote that end scene well.

He wrote Shatterpoint - not only the sinlge most poignant Star Wars novel, but one the finest pieces of science-fiction literature of the 21th century.

Really??? i read the ep 3 novelisation and style of writing came off really amateurish. I wasnt surprised when i read his other literary accomplishmenst were other star wars books and the fact that he was a martial arts expert (w00t).

(meh i guess it meant he knew what he was taking about when describing the fights)

Really??? i read the ep 3 novelisation and style of writing came off really amateurish. I wasnt surprised when i read his other literary accomplishmenst were other star wars books and the fact that he was a martial arts expert (w00t).

(meh i guess it meant he knew what he was taking about when describing the fights)

In the classic sense, Shatterpoint really isn't a "Star Wars" novel at all...but about the darkness in man's heart.

manthing2.jpg

You cry in games?

Wow, I was wondering if any games actually affected anyone enough for that: can you name some, maybe I have forgotten some really moving moments?  ;)

Games have a deeper connection than movies because you are part of the experience rather than an observer. The end of FFX made me very sad partly because of the end and partly because it was the end..

Actually, that was exactly the game I was reffering to. I think I cried in FFX-2, but those were tears of joy. I know that

bringing Tidus back

was corny, but it was so sweet at the same time. I also got teary (don't think I cried) while reading the cut dialouge for Atton's death in TSL. The alternate LS ending cheered me up though. I'm having trouble remembering the others right now, but they'll come to me. Don't worry Metadigital, you'll have plenty of chances to laugh at me.

P.S. I fell asleep during Titanic.

sig2.gif

Actually, that was exactly the game I was reffering to.  I think I cried in FFX-2, but those were tears of joy.  I know that

bringing Tidus back

was corny, but it was so sweet at the same time.  I also got teary (don't think I cried) while reading the cut dialouge for Atton's death in TSL.  The alternate LS ending cheered me up though.  I'm having trouble remembering the others right now, but they'll come to me.  Don't worry Metadigital, you'll have plenty of chances to laugh at me.

P.S.  I fell asleep during Titanic.

I wouldn't dream of laughing at you ... (well, okay maybe a chuckle) ... seriously, it was something that has interested me from the conceptual pov; i don't recall crying -- or anything except joy and excitement and possibly trepidation -- in games; yet I can cry quite easily in films.

It would just mean that the medium of games has started to catch up to the medium of film, so it is a positive thing.

:p

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I very nearly cried at the end of Metal Gear Solid 3.

I didnt cry but that was a really moving final battle (when I saw house of the flying daggers it reminded me of MGSIII). The sort that you dont want to fight but you have no choice. Usually in RPGs by the time I get to the end boss I cant wait to kick it's arse. Sin was the same in FFX though I felt really sorry for sin although he had to die.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

What about at the end of Warcraft III? How did you feel about the Prince?

Only thing I recall was feeling quite bad about killing those diseased villiagers, but they had to go.

It really depends what they do. Like in Star Wars if Anakin hadnt gone on a child murder spree I would have seen him much more as a tragic hero who was trapped by the love for his wife. But that was more evil than anything Darth did in EPIV-VI. I'd have still put him out of his missery at the end though. I'm just not that big on suffering regardless.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Like in Star Wars if Anakin hadnt gone on a child murder spree I would have seen him much more as a tragic hero who was trapped by the love for his wife.

But as far as he could see, he didn't have a choice. If he didn't obey Palps he would never be able to save Padme. The only thing Anakin was guilty of is being gulible enough to believe that old windbag.

sig2.gif

Palps outta have a sharp kick to the groin from a mighty boot for being such a manipulative old man-hag.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

What about at the end of Warcraft III? How did you feel about the Prince?

Only thing I recall was feeling quite bad about killing those diseased villiagers, but they had to go.

It really depends what they do. Like in Star Wars if Anakin hadnt gone on a child murder spree I would have seen him much more as a tragic hero who was trapped by the love for his wife. But that was more evil than anything Darth did in EPIV-VI. I'd have still put him out of his missery at the end though. I'm just not that big on suffering regardless.

Hmm, I had no qualms about the villagers: they were already dead. The allied ships we destroyed, on the other had, made me pause for thought. No longer did I want to play by the rules as laid down by the god of Warcraft III. I wanted to rebel.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I cried during ONE game. And that was...*drumroll* Jade Empire.* MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD*

When Sagacious Zu died I cried. I cried when Master Li betrayed me. I cried when I realised Death's Hand was actually the tortured soul of Prince Kin. And Jade's " Evil" ending was actually the evilest ending of all time.

Thats why Jade had me bawlin.

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

I cried during ONE game. And that was...*drumroll* Jade Empire.* MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD*

When Sagacious Zu died I cried. I cried when Master Li betrayed me. I cried when I realised Death's Hand was actually the tortured soul of Prince Kin. And Jade's " Evil" ending was actually the evilest ending of all time.

You've just experienced one of the finest cRPG's of all time. :)

manthing2.jpg

I have to object to every single point you made in that post. Zu's sacrifice was obvious. Master Li's betrayal was heavily foreshadowed so as to make it inevitable and even despite that was quite obvious. The fact that Death's Hand was a prince was obvious once you got far enoughinto the story. And the evil ending, along with the others, were rather horrible.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Archmonarch, you just don't know RP's. Jade Empire had an excellent story. First off, I admit I had my suspicions of Master Li, but he still caight me off gaurd with the line, " You have learned my teachings well...even its failings." I truely felt sorry for the Prince, even though he did kill Zu. And if you didn't like the Evil ending of Empire, then you don't know what evil is.

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

I have to object to every single point you made in that post.

You're disputing the validity of the emotional response evoked in Draken? That's rather prepostorous.

---

Zu's sacrifice was obvious. Master Li's betrayal was heavily foreshadowed so as to make it inevitable and even despite that was quite obvious.

Um...no. Unless you were reading spoilers on the boards that is.

---

And the evil ending, along with the others, were rather horrible.

Not fact - but your opinion; and that with an agenda it seems.

manthing2.jpg

Archmonarch, you just don't know RP's. Jade Empire had an excellent story. First off, I admit I had my suspicions of Master Li, but he still caight me off gaurd with the line, " You have learned my teachings well...even its failings."  I truely felt sorry for the Prince, even though he did kill Zu. And if you didn't like the Evil ending of Empire, then you don't know what evil is.

I contend it is you that does not know RPGs and can be easily satisified by the lackluster story of Jade Empire. It is definitely not Bioware's best work, even considering their common failings. And I do not equate evil with thuggery.

@ jaguars: I have no agenda. I genuinely expected to enjoy Jade Empire, and I did, but the main story was definitely not its strong suit. No, I did not read spoilers, I simply have read enough fantasy/played enough RPGs to recognize the character archetypes. Besides Bioware recycles plot devices quite often.

And I do not object to his reaction, simply to the points he says provoked it.

As for the endings, I expected something great after having read all the developer posts saying this ending would be the best one yet from a Bioware game. I did not expect a simple crowd clapping or bowing in fear with a few "What happened to your NPCs" scrolls.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had