Oddworld Creator says Goodbye to Games

Interview with Lorne Lanning, creator of Oddworld

THR: As long as I've known Oddworld, I've heard people asking you when is an Oddworld movie coming out.

Lanning: Which has always been part of the plan. And the reason why today seems to be the right time is that game technology is now moving in an opposite paradigm. Video game systems aren't being designed to be conducive to development, creativity, or content. They're being designed to be cheaper for manufacturing. If movie cameras were made that way, you'd have a rebellion in Hollywood. But this isn't Hollywood and it isn't a movie camera; it's a videogame system and the public wants basically a $1,000 box but only wants to pay $150 for it. I'm not saying that anyone is guilty in this process, but this is the reality of the current climate for development in video games and where it's headed. And because the costs are higher, more ownership needs to be seen on behalf of the publishers and, quite frankly, I don't blame them. They can say, "Look I used to pay for video games when they were $6 million, but now they're $16 million. And you know what? My shareholders are not going to like it if I fund your game, it's a big hit, and then you take it to someone else. That's going to hurt my stock. We need to see a path to ownership or ownership right out of the gate."

For what it's worth, Penny Arcade weighed in on the announcement/interview: LINKITY-LINK.

Tycho's comments in the post run counter to the sentiment of the strip.

ANNNND, there are bonus Star Wars references thrown in for free!

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

"Heck Obsidian had to start with two expansions,"

Huh? They're making sequels; not expansions.

As for the Oddworld Whiner tm. Good riddance to bad rubbish. I say, if you cna't handle the heat; get out of the kitchen. He seems to be listening to that theory.

Good.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah i heard about that and it is the most depressing news i could of hoped for

Oddworld games rocked and its mean that i might now get another one for god knows how long.

Penny arcade is not funny :rolleyes:

They have like 1 funny comic every few weeks

read Vg cats you fool for

Vgcats > Penny arcade

Oddworld was definately an interesting game that I spent many hours with...though this news doesn't really affect me.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Hmm

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

Yeah the 3 Bs :D

Maybe that's what Obsidian needs to do. Name their company something that starts with the letter B, and then Obsidian can rake in the cash. :)

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Bobsidian? :)

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

Wouldn't be the first game dev who was drawn to the big screen, and I'm all for trying something new. But movies are completely different, and sometimes it's better to count your blessings. Remember Chris Roberts and Wing Commander. Or rather, let's let that movie remain forgotten.

Is it better to produce an excellent video game, or just another mediocre movie?

Hmm